How to get wrinkle effect or hammer effect ? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Commercial and Industrial Painting

Old 03-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View nbabe's Photo Album My Photos
Question How to get wrinkle effect or hammer effect ?

Ok where I live we can only get pint of hammer effect paint (like tremclad from rustoleum hammer paint). We make steel parts or repair so this would be too costly by pint (we contacted the company and they only have in pints). We contacted our supplier of paint they have no idea how to achieve this.

I wonder if there is an additive or a way to making either my regular tremclad gallon into a hammer effect-wrinkle effects ie orange peel. (more choice of colours too)... I read multiple ideas like adding a silicone based into paint but no one here knows what and where to get it and the proportion of additive mixed with paint. another was to add tung oil? which I don't even know if we have here as we never heard of it.
So basically : a way to making large quantity of hammer effect paint for steel at a good price? is the solution an additive added to tremclad (and if so what is it and what proportion) or???

We would love if there is a roll on or brush application, anyone has a simple way or additive if so name and place to buy in large quantity?
nbabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 263
View Criard's Photo Album My Photos

A lot of those rippled and hammer effect paints are from certain metallic pigments they put in them.
How many gallons are you looking to do this to?
Criard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Troy

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't think that adding silicone or oil would be best. Look into a medium which would be applied between the base coat & top coat.

Or do what one of my old knucklehead employees did on accident, spray a lacquer over an oil. You could even experiment with that further by applying various hotter topcoats over milder base coats. Only problem with any of these is that you'd have to finish with a clear, (which is why the oils & silicones are ill advised).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 36
View JourneymanBrian's Photo Album My Photos

The hammer effect is just an iron pigment, its called "micaceous iron oxide".
JourneymanBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

I think it's more than just a metallic pigment. I've bought metallic paint before with metallic pigments but it doesn't have a hammered effect.

I'm thinking an additive like a lacquer thinner or something that gives the paint that affect. When you clean that paint with a xylene or lacquer thinner you can see it gives it the same effect as when you mix it before spraying. But again I'm not sure. Lots of experimenting needed.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

its not just any metallic pigment, its a scale shaped natural metallic pigment used for rust protection for aged
Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

ages
Old 03-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
RH

Rewards Points: 5,574
Thanked 15,398 Times in 8,076 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Here's a thought - if you really want a hammered effect how about beating the [email protected] out of the steel and then painting it?

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 03-21-2015 at 01:33 PM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None