Spraying interior new apartments - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Commercial and Industrial Painting

Old 08-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View tonycrouch's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spraying interior new apartments

hey guys..I'm a rental property owner and I'm building my first duplex. The sheetrock guy is going to texture the ceiling and orange-peel the walls. He said the ceiling wont' need anything once he's done, but the walls of course will need painting. Since he'll have everything taped and covered, I was considering going in with a spray gun and painting the walls. I am going to do everything the same color but I wanted a few tips/suggestions from you pros.

(1) Flat or Eggshell?
(2) Do I primer the walls with a "primer" or with a paint/primer?
(3) I am considering going white/antique white so if there is any overspray it won't show on the ceiling?
(4) Should I just go ahead and spray the ceiling/walls and everything all at once?

Thank you for your time/tips/opinions. My goal is to build 4 duplexes so I would like to find a method that will work well in all of them.
tonycrouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Hire a professional, watch how he does it and learn something.
Lambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lambrecht For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (08-14-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Rental??? You should paint the ceiling everything the same color,egg-shell finish.Prime & 2 coats finish.Trim semi-gloss.When you are turning these places over it will be easier to touch up & re-paint between tenants

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
tonycrouch (08-14-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Rental??? You should paint the ceiling everything the same color,egg-shell finish.Prime & 2 coats finish.Trim semi-gloss.When you are turning these places over it will be easier to touch up & re-paint between tenants
Aaron, thanks for your helpful reply. It's exactly what I was looking for to help with my first attempt at painting new construction! Have a great day!

And, if it did come down to hiring a professional, I would surely hire someone friendly and helpful like yourself. :-)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 170
View CK_68847's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=tonycrouch;155920]hey guys..I'm a rental property owner and I'm building my first duplex. The sheetrock guy is going to texture the ceiling and orange-peel the walls. He said the ceiling wont' need anything once he's done, but the walls of course will need painting. Since he'll have everything taped and covered, I was considering going in with a spray gun and painting the walls. I am going to do everything the same color but I wanted a few tips/suggestions from you pros.

(1) Flat or Eggshell?
(3) I am considering going white/antique white so if there is any overspray it won't show on the ceiling?
(4) Should I just go ahead and spray the ceiling/walls and everything all at once?

1.I would go with egshell. Being that it is orange peel egshell should touch up easy and it is more durable.

2.Since it is an apartment I would not prime the walls. If you are going to prime anything prime the window walls quick. Also if you do prime with orange peel I usually never backroll until i get to the finish. I also think you are better off to prime before they shoot the orange peel on the wall if you do prime.

3-4. If you are inexperienced spraying you will probably get paint on your ceiling so I would probably go with an antique, dover, or alabaster white and spray the ceilings and walls the same. It is an apartment. Plus if you ever have a leak or some other stain on your ceiling you can put kilz on it and touch it up with paint. It's hard to get drywall to blend in over the years.

The last thing I would say is to check the drywallers plastic. They usually do a poor job of masking because if they get a little splatter on the windows or tub its easy to clean. If you get paint on the windowns or tub it takes time to clean. I usually tell them to tear off their paper or plastic because they half ass it, or if it does look like they did a decent job just make sure to check the masking before you spray.
CK_68847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #6

[quote=CK_68847;156111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycrouch View Post
hey guys..I'm a rental property owner and I'm building my first duplex. The sheetrock guy is going to texture the ceiling and orange-peel the walls. He said the ceiling wont' need anything once he's done, but the walls of course will need painting. Since he'll have everything taped and covered, I was considering going in with a spray gun and painting the walls. I am going to do everything the same color but I wanted a few tips/suggestions from you pros.

(1) Flat or Eggshell?

1.I would go with egshell. Being that it is orange peel egshell should touch up easy and it is more durable.

2.Since it is an apartment I would not prime the walls. If you are going to prime anything prime the window walls quick. Also if you do prime with orange peel I usually never backroll until i get to the finish. I also think you are better off to prime before they shoot the orange peel on the wall if you do prime.

3-4. If you are inexperienced spraying you will probably get paint on your ceiling so I would probably go with an antique, dover, or alabaster white and spray the ceilings and walls the same. It is an apartment. Plus if you ever have a leak or some other stain on your ceiling you can put kilz on it and touch it up with paint. It's hard to get drywall to blend in over the years.

The last thing I would say is to check the drywallers plastic. They usually do a poor job of masking because if they get a little splatter on the windows or tub its easy to clean. If you get paint on the windowns or tub it takes time to clean. I usually tell them to tear off their paper or plastic because they half ass it, or if it does look like they did a decent job just make sure to check the masking before you spray.
thanks for the great advice. I will make sure I check the tape job of the drywaller.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycrouch View Post
Aaron, thanks for your helpful reply. It's exactly what I was looking for to help with my first attempt at painting new construction! Have a great day!

And, if it did come down to hiring a professional, I would surely hire someone friendly and helpful like yourself. :-)
Is that not a prime example, not to bash the newbie Rental/duplex owner, DIY'er or whoever asking questions?
Not all folks are worthy of an answer, granted.

He may ask Aaron to pop in for a quote, but he may not. You don't know what's round the corner from being nice and helping others out (sometimes).

I have learned something here tonight

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistcoat View Post
Is that not a prime example, not to bash the newbie Rental/duplex owner, DIY'er or whoever asking questions?
Not all folks are worthy of an answer, granted.

He may ask Aaron to pop in for a quote, but he may not. You don't know what's round the corner from being nice and helping others out (sometimes).

I have learned something here tonight

That's exactly the point I wanted to get across. Actually, I'm not a newbie owner, I have 80 units spread across 3 counties. But I am a newbie painter so the point still stands! I've given tens of thousands of dollars in business to people simply because I liked them and could trust them, even if they were higher than the next guy.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Got any in Tampa Bay area??????

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

Wish I did Aaron...they are all in Kentucky right now. Never know though...we might want to head south and get some sun! :-)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Now Aaron, ya got nothing to lose.

kidding.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

I think you took my advice in the wrong way, I assumed from your post that you have no experience painting. When in doubt, hire a pro and watch them and ask them questions so you can get the answers you need and learn how to apply what you learn. You can screw alot of things up including yourself running a spray rig without experience or knowledge. You might find that my advice might save you a ton of trouble and frustration.
Lambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None