Totes/Dispensing - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Commercial and Industrial Painting

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Brushman4
  • 1 Post By Lightningboy65
  • 1 Post By Brushman4
  • 1 Post By Fman

Old 02-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
tru

Rewards Points: 6
View tru's Photo Album My Photos
Default Totes/Dispensing

Frequently paint is lost because the tote will not completely empty.
I would like to hear how many of you would address this issue, please.

I am quite new to the industry, but I'm wondering if this is not a frequent issue. Should the bottoms of the totes be sloped to a large degree in order to avoid this?
tru is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,616
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

https://oureverydaylife.com/1000883-...tes-boots.html
Lightningboy65 likes this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
tru

Mmmmmm...no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,312
Thanked 4,529 Times in 2,501 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

If by 'tote' you mean can or bucket you just brush it out. Dat simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,034
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,457 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post

I am quite new to the industry, but I'm wondering if this is not a frequent issue. Should the bottoms of the totes be sloped to a large degree in order to avoid this?
In terms of loss, whatever remaining paint in the tote ("can" US) that couldn't be simply swiped out with a brush, really should have no bearing on loss , or supply. Unless you were referring to a thousand totes.

On the other hand, I have taken a little water and swished it around in the tote (can US) and used it for reducing purposes if needed.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,140
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Do you mean when running a sprayer? The siphon tube starts sucking air with an inch or so of paint in the bottom of the bucket (tote)? if this is what your talking about, simply tilt the bucket at a 45* angle to get as much paint out of the bucket as possible. Although it won't be much more.

You can also switch to a bucket of water (with latex paint) to use all the paint in your hose, if you need just a little more paint to finish the job. The water will push the paint out of the hose. But pay attention if ever using this trick. You will hear the pump change cadence when the water is starting to mix with the paint and notice when the water starts coming out. Gotta quit spraying right then, or you'll spray water on your work.

If this isn't what your talking about, I really have no idea what your question is....
SemiproJohn likes this.

Last edited by Lightningboy65; 02-07-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,682
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I'd like to be the first in this thread to welcome you to Paint Talk. Curious as to where you're from that you use the word tote for what my cohorts here probably correctly presume to mean can. I'm guessing somewhere in the UK?
Old 02-08-2020, 01:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,616
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Mmmmmm...no.
Did you mean a tote sack?
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
tru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
I'd like to be the first in this thread to welcome you to Paint Talk. Curious as to where you're from that you use the word tote for what my cohorts here probably correctly presume to mean can. I'm guessing somewhere in the UK?
I'm in Chicago.
For industrial paint, in the realm of manufacturers painting their own parts, the term tote is quite standard. (gallons/cans...5gals/buckets...drums/55gal...totes/275)

Here is a link (Chicago area company) that sells them so you can see what they are. Please look at TheCaryCompany dot COM slash CONTAINERS slash IBC to see what I mean. Sorry, but I do not yet have permission to paste direct links.

The trouble is that the bottom, though allegedly sloped, isn't sloped enough to drain ALL paint. And over time, this translates into wasted paint for manufacturers that count every dollar.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,140
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Tote is a new term to me....then again I have no experience in manufacturing. In a stationary factory environment, I would think there must be a way to either build a rack to accommodate tipping tote to drain or (assuming totes are disposable) puncture bottom of tote to drain. If totes are reusable, you could even retrofit drain valve to totes. Anyhow, then the tote could be drained to top off a tote that is in service.

If dealing with a tote that is 275 gal, I could see how completely draining said tote would be desirable. Otherwise, over time a considerable amount of coating would be wasted.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,682
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I'm in Chicago.
For industrial paint, in the realm of manufacturers painting their own parts, the term tote is quite standard. (gallons/cans...5gals/buckets...drums/55gal...totes/275)

Here is a link (Chicago area company) that sells them so you can see what they are. Please look at TheCaryCompany dot COM slash CONTAINERS slash IBC to see what I mean. Sorry, but I do not yet have permission to paste direct links.

The trouble is that the bottom, though allegedly sloped, isn't sloped enough to drain ALL paint. And over time, this translates into wasted paint for manufacturers that count every dollar.
Well, I was way off!

I'm in Chicago too, born and raised, but I've traveled a bit and only heard "tote" used in the south as in "tote that barge, lift that bale". It's a new one on me. That's Paint Talk though- you learn sumpin' new every day!
CApainter likes this.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,034
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,457 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Does the tote have to sit completely flat? If not, just set the back part of the tote base on some shims that would allow a good slope for drainage.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #13
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 541
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Start using a hopper on your sprayer. I'm assuming this is regarding spraying?Instead of a syphon..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None