Blog question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Technology (websites, computers, etc..)

Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos
Default Blog question

Seems like a lot of folks here have a blog. Im finally breaking down and hiring a website designer/builder. He is just about done with everything and asked if there was anything else id like to add or change. I figured I'd consult my PT brethren and find out if adding a blog to my new website would be beneficial. Is the idea that the more quality info tied to my site will increase visitors due to more content and keywords? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
MIZZOU aka computer dumdum aka Dave
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,112 Times in 2,921 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

The blog is definitely worth it. I get a lot of traffic through different posts because each one will rank independently. So it's good for going after long tail keywords.

The drawback... Its a commitment. If you don't think you'll update it regularly then don't do it. I try to write one biweekly and even that's a pain in the butt to find time to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
MIZZOU (08-27-2013), RCP (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82
The blog is definitely worth it. I get a lot of traffic through different posts because each one will rank independently. So it's good for going after long tail keywords.

The drawback... Its a commitment. If you don't think you'll update it regularly then don't do it. I try to write one biweekly and even that's a pain in the butt to find time to do.
So can I ask my web guy to link a blog directly to my website?
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

If its your own blog, yes. You don't want to promote someone elese blog and website. Some will recomemd you write articles for their blog, claiming you will get recognition. But reality is your just helping their SEO with content driving traffic to their site and away from yours. I don't write for others just for that reason.

Dont overthink the blog, you don't have to write full page articles. You can just use it to show your projects of the week, tell procedures, products you use. What your doing is creating content and regularly updating your site. Google's loves that.

ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (02-15-2014), MIZZOU (08-27-2013), Rbriggs82 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 218
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
If its your own blog, yes. You don't want to promote someone elese blog and website. Some will recomemd you write articles for their blog, claiming you will get recognition. But reality is your just helping their SEO with content driving traffic to their site and away from yours. I don't write for others just for that reason.

Dont overthink the blog, you don't have to write full page articles. You can just use it to show your projects of the week, tell procedures, products you use. What your doing is creating content and regularly updating your site. Google's loves that.

This is exactly what I am doing, and why I am doing it. I hope people will read it but I am most concerned with getting more exposure on a google search. Right now, potential customers can find me if they look me up by my company's name, but if they type in "painter" and the city I am out of I do not pop up.

Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #6

I have been inactive with my blog as I'm slowly re-doing my site. I've had to hold off for a bit. So I'm not doing nothin. But my articles went from in depth to general project updates. My header would say " Exterior Painters in Yucaipa Ca, Senic Crest. Before and After" here is a screen shot when I search for Yuciapa exterior painters. My article comes up on the 1st page along with my Google listing.

Attached Thumbnails
Blog question-forumrunner_20130827_092444.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (02-15-2014), MIZZOU (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,112 Times in 2,921 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I have been inactive with my blog as I'm slowly re-doing my site. I've had to hold off for a bit. So I'm not doing nothin. But my articles went from in depth to general project updates. My header would say " Exterior Painters in Yucaipa Ca, Senic Crest. Before and After" here is a screen shot when I search for Yuciapa exterior painters. My article comes up on the 1st page along with my Google listing.

Look at you getting a +1 from Chris. She won't even add me to her circle

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Ha! I just noticed that too. Nothing to. Say or do but strut.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Definitely agree, authorship and a solid inbound link from a good blog to a less established blog would be a bad decision!

Last edited by vermontpainter; 08-27-2013 at 07:46 PM..
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post

Definitely agree, authorship and a solid inbound link from a good blog to a less established blog would be a bad decision!
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not.

Since establishing my own blog I have seen a huge increase in traffic to my web. If I'm going to take the time to write a article I'm going to promote my site, not to concerned with inbound linking. With that I am also not hard to find in my demographic area. I am investing time and money to promote myself to my targeting areas or blocks as you might say. I'm not so concerned to change the industry or be a leader I just want to run a paint business and promote sells to support my family with long term goals.

Sorry hit send,, continued, give me a gd sec
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not.

Since establishing my own blog I have seen a huge increase in traffic to my web. If I'm going to take the time to write a article I'm going to promote my site, not to concerned with inbound linking. With that I am also not hard to find in my demographic area. I am investing time and money to promote myself to my targeting areas or blocks as you might say. I'm not so concerned to change the industry or be a leader I just want to run a paint business and promote sells to support my family with long term goals.

Sorry hit send,, continued, give me a gd sec
I'm not all surprised to hear that, Gabe. And that is awesome for you! You have a great blog, it is a great example of all the right things to do. Well done.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

I will grant you contributing to other well established blogs will improve ones visibility, and maybe your ranking aswell. The lil ranking improvement I get from posting on a another blog, does not compare to the traffic u get from dounthe little bit I have done to my own site.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #13

And thanks,, but I'm not yet happy with my stuff

Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #14

I think it is a fantastic blog. One of the best I have seen.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #15

I just did a quick incog google search and you are indeed ranking very well with your blogging...

Attached Thumbnails
Blog question-gabeblog.jpg  

Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #16

Funny how google pulls up according to your own personal inquiries, that stuff shows up on page 2 on my searchs

Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Funny how google pulls up according to your own personal inquiries, that stuff shows up on page 2 on my searchs

I googled "Gabe Ewing" as an incognito search.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #18

Quote:
I think it is a fantastic blog. One of the best I have seen.
You should put a link on tcr I can use the inbound.

I'm no professional that's for sure. I'm just going based on past traffic results.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #19

Quote:
You should put a link on tcr I can use the inbound.

I'm no professional that's for sure. I'm just going based on past traffic results.

I am no expert either. It looks like you are doing a great job. Also, looks like 2011 was a good year for Ewing blogs!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #20

Quote:

I googled "Gabe Ewing" as an incognito search.
Ok then, thanks for grabbing my traffic.

Tags
None