Are cameras (security) a big deal? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Technology (websites, computers, etc..)

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Fman
  • 2 Post By Alchemy Redux
  • 4 Post By RH
  • 2 Post By RH

Old 08-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos
Default Are cameras (security) a big deal?

Cameras have been around a while, but in or outside homes lately they seem to be everywhere now. Was on a recent job and the property was vacant. The guy knew exactly when I pulled in the driveway, what I was doing inside and recorded all audio as well.. right from his smartphone miles away.
No big deal I always assume I am on camera. but not audio. The phone does ring and you should be able to expect to leave the room and have a private conversation if need be.

Hey and forget about taking a leak outside!

And Who likes to be watched haha!
Anyway seriously. They could be stealing our trade secrets! Better always put that second coat on!

Any thoughts on this ?
mug is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 988
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know that you have an expectation of privacy in someone's house- save for the bathroom. It's weird and creepy if the guy abuses it and maybe speaks to you via an intercom and says stupid things like "Missed a spot!" or "OMG! You're getting paint ALL OVER THAT WALL!" or, my favorite:"Hey- THEY called and they want to change colors..." That's a classic. So, the best thing to do might be to go about your business but do so rocking out to some vintage (pre '73) Stones, CCR, Hendrix etc, cranked to about 11.
Brushman4 likes this.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 746
Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,456 Posts
View fauxlynn's Photo Album My Photos

I always assume I’m on camera. However, in Maryland it is illegal to record audio without consent. Having said that, I’m pretty sure I’ve been recorded without permission. Twice I’ve had the HO say something the next day that made me think they had to have been listening in.

I don’t like it, but I can’t change it. There’s been multiple times that I’ve altered how I communicate to a helper because I don’t need to unnecessarily worry a HO.
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,160
Thanked 15,346 Times in 8,036 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxlynn View Post
I always assume I’m on camera. However, in Maryland it is illegal to record audio without consent. Having said that, I’m pretty sure I’ve been recorded without permission. Twice I’ve had the HO say something the next day that made me think they had to have been listening in.

I don’t like it, but I can’t change it. There’s been multiple times that I’ve altered how I communicate to a helper because I don’t need to unnecessarily worry a HO.
Is it also illegal to have live coverage of someone - or is it just recording them? May seem like semantics but there is a difference. My buddy can watch workers, as well as hear what they are saying, in real time from several cameras he has located around d the outside of his property but not sure if he also has the ability to record what he is seeing.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,740
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxlynn View Post
I always assume Iím on camera. However, in Maryland it is illegal to record audio without consent. Having said that, Iím pretty sure Iíve been recorded without permission. Twice Iíve had the HO say something the next day that made me think they had to have been listening in.

I donít like it, but I canít change it. Thereís been multiple times that Iíve altered how I communicate to a helper because I donít need to unnecessarily worry a HO.
Sue the $hit out of them and retire on their dime!
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 796
Thanked 4,465 Times in 2,454 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Don't need a camera. Last year I painted out the entire inside of a local politicians house. Older guy who is really into his role representing his constituents. He followed me around from room to room with a chair and just plunked down watching me and talking local politics. His wife would pop her head into the room every now and again and yell at him "Would you leave Bill alone!" lol.

I would find working in someone's home being observed on camera and having them make sure I know they're watching and listening a little weird or remotely talking to me about stuff. Hope they don't mind me randomly muttering the odd expletive every now and again. When it appears I'm alone I tend to do that a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 646
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos

There were a number of petty thefts on one of my projects, the client having installed hidden security cameras without anyoneís knowledge in hopes of catching the thief in action. My company was held suspect until the live feed revealed it was the clientís domestic housekeeping staff, the entire housekeeping staff being terminated. My company was also held suspect by another client for stealing expensive wine and cigars. Hidden cameras revealed it was the live-in estate property manager who had made a prior assertion that is was the painters stealing from the HO before he was caught red-handed on film. He was also terminated, the client profusely apologizing for any accusations. Once again, the cameras were installed discreetly without anyoneís knowledge. I have no objections to security cameras, even if concealed. I actually welcome the idea especially when others have access to the houses and things end up missing.
CApainter and Wildbill7145 like this.
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alchemy Redux For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
RH

Theses days, anyone working in homes better just assume cameras are rolling and behave accordingly. And remember, no good ever came from going into a room you don’t need to be in.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 990
Thanked 9,541 Times in 5,407 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Theses days, anyone working in homes better just assume cameras are rolling and behave accordingly. And remember, no good ever came from going into a room you donít need to be in.
Yep. You just never know when one of these weirdos is going to have a camera in the bathroom.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Yep. You just never know when one of these weirdos is going to have a camera in the bathroom.
Thatís right! Do your pooping in the garage like youíre supposed to.
CApainter and Wildbill7145 like this.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 746
Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,456 Posts
View fauxlynn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Is it also illegal to have live coverage of someone - or is it just recording them? ....
Good question, I donít know.

Quote:
Thatís right! Do your pooping in the garage like youíre supposed to.
I thought that was just an east coast thing.

Tags
None