I'm looking for a specific piece of software - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Technology (websites, computers, etc..)

Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,638
Thanked 4,381 Times in 1,914 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Default I'm looking for a specific piece of software

I have 2 external hard drives. Lets call them A and B.

A is used for backup purposes, on a daily or semi-daily basis. Contracts, job pics, etc etc.

B is used as a secondary back, to my primary A backup. I usually back up everything from drive A to drive B once every other week, or so, depending on how much stuff is getting put on A. And then B goes into a firesafe in my basement.

Don't laugh. If you aren't backing up you back up, someday you will find out why I do.

I'm looking for some software to do a task for me. Free is nice, but I would pay something if it worked well.

Lets say I have 10,000 job pictures on drive A. They have already been backed up to drive B. I add 250 more pictures, 100 from the Smith job, 150 from the Jones job. I want the software to scan drive A, and recognize that the new 250 pictures are the only new thing added to A that isn't on B, and copy just those files to B. Instead of copying/rewriting over all 10,000 pictures again.

Does this make sense? Is there something out there that will do this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

This is not cheap, so I doubt it's what your looking for, but like you said, backups are nothing to joke about. I purchased the WD EX4 and use the raid 1 setup. Right now I just have to 2Tb drives. So when I back up, the data is mirrored on two drives. If one drive goes bad, then just pull it and put a new one in, and it will auto build and fill it back up with what was on there. The bad thing is 4tb = 2tb. The good thing is your data is pretty safe, specially using the NES drives. Also this is your own personal cloud. You can access the data on this from anywhere.

I don't know if there is any free stuff out there that will do what you want. But I would think programs like Acronis and other like it, should have some sort of auto back that will run once a day, and only back up the new stuff. I have acronis and will see if it does that.

Pat
Attached Images

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Here is a part of the back up schemes using Acronis.

Quote:
Backup schemes

Backup schemes along with the scheduler help you to set up your backup strategy. The schemes allow you to optimize backup storage space usage, improve data storage reliability, and automatically delete the obsolete backup versions.
Backup scheme defines the following parameters:
  • Backup methods that will be used to create backup versions (full, differential or incremental)
  • Sequence of the backup versions created using different methods
  • Version cleanup rules
Acronis True Image 2013 allows you to choose the following backup schemes:
  • Single version - select this scheme if you want to use the smallest backup storage.
  • Version chain - this may be the optimal scheme in many cases.
  • Incremental - select this scheme if you want to create only incremental backups after an initial full backup (this is the default scheme).
  • Differential - select this scheme if you want to create only differential backups after an initial full backup.
  • Custom - select this item if you want to set up a backup scheme manually.
I think the issue here is the back ups are created as one file. However you can browse through the file and locate stuff you are looking for.

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Tim if its just pics and docs you are wanting to backup I would make use of free cloud storage. Google and Microsoft both have a good bit of free storage.

Here is a walk through how to do it with onedrive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1...oft-cloud.html

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Tim,

You want to learn a little software language? xxcopy will do EXACTLY what you want, ANYthing you want if you know and can use the right switches. I've used it for exactly what you are trying to do - back up new picts while not copying or erasing already backed up ones. It's a PITA to get the syntax correct, but boy is it powerful and versitile and light. Yes free and a yahoo listserve to ask questions.

Otherwise, my WD MYbook comes with software that can back up incrementally any changes, but you are looking for something you plug in, back up, and then put in a safe.

Seriously, xxcopy is the software that will do what you want - if you have the time and grey matter to learn it.

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Save 2nd base!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
Tim if its just pics and docs you are wanting to backup I would make use of free cloud storage. Google and Microsoft both have a good bit of free storage.

Here is a walk through how to do it with onedrive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1...oft-cloud.html
Actually its about 750 gig of music too.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

750 gb of music is impressive. Is that all mp3's or lossless audio files?

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Save 2nd base!

MP3's. The flac files are way too big, and I can't hear any difference. My favorites are all 320k though. The rest are anywhere from 128+.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

750 gb?

Billie needs to catch up with Sally

Name:  billie2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  23.2 KB

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 06-24-2014 at 10:32 PM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Save 2nd base!

Mmmm Sally...

Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,608
View paintball head's Photo Album My Photos

My wife is a red head and her name is ......Sally
paintball head is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintball head For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (06-26-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10
View MHelpdesk's Photo Album My Photos

Well, I can't help you on the music, but have you looked at Fileden (at that level of storage, you'd definitely have to pay)? For images, Flickr.com gives you three terabytes storage for free, and the Flickr uploader app works fine from an iPhone or Android phone. You can add description, title, notes, tags, whatever or just leave them blank and get a filename like 039487474.jpg.
MHelpdesk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None