Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

One little thing that works for me....

8K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  SteveC 
#1 ·
As per RCP's request that we all stop scratching at each other and instead post something that "works for you", here it is. A little thing that some customers seem to be impressed by.

I have the requests for quotes from my website, sent to my phone. Then I try to call them asap. (usually within an hour or so). It is a little thing, but I have received more than a few "Wow, that was quick" or in many cases "thanks for calling me back".

Don't have any data to support it, but returning a call or internet inquiry quickly seems to give people the impression that you value thier business or at least are interested in trying to earn the job.

It's all about customer service.

(It's small, but it's a start Chris.)

#3 ·
Thanks Biker, but it is a shame that we all have to pick up all the toys left on the floor here from others that don't.They want to come in and play and beat up on people and then leave a mess for others to deal with and put back.
Instead of encouraging others to do what is right by offering good vibes, maybe we need to prune the tree a little.

#8 ·
You're bang on JP. Makes them feel important too!

In this world of instant gratification and "I want it now" mindset, returning a phone call or email immediately goes a long way to gaining an advantage with a client.

A person has to be good a good communicator to do this well. Customer service is an art. Thanks for the post BB.

#5 ·
Maybe you guys do this too, and I'm not really sure this helps, I do know it can't hurt. But when I show up to do the estimate, and about to walk in the house, I always take off my shoes. Even if they are wearing shoes. Half the the time they stop me and say don't worry about it. But it shows respect I think.

Pat

#24 ·
I can access my yahoo email account from my Blackberry. Just have an alarm set that lets me know whenever an email comes in.

#13 · (Edited)
Raw charm, pure confidence, and a wide ranging sense of humor.

If you can combine those without looking like a fake tool, the job is yours...

Dealing with the Lady of the House is my thing, and things are doing great!

:)

EDIT: My Wife added: Smoldering bedroom eyes, an engaging smile, and a saucy little wink.

Momma knows that flirting= $$$

:)

#35 ·
Our website has a feature that actually calls the office when someone fills out a quick quote form. On my end I hear a robot voice giving me a butchered name and phone number and the option to press 1 to be connected. Getting a return call <1 minute after filling out the online form catches everybody off guard. I explain the system to them but they are so flustered I don't think it matters. Now I wait about 15-30 minutes after I get the call to call them back.

OTOH, about half the people I do talk to thank me for calling them back and tell me that they are still waiting to hear from contractors or painters they called a week ago or more. Returning calls quickly definitely makes a good impression.

#37 ·
Our website has a feature that actually calls the office when someone fills out a quick quote form. On my end I hear a robot voice giving me a butchered name and phone number and the option to press 1 to be connected. Getting a return call <1 minute after filling out the online form catches everybody off guard. I explain the system to them but they are so flustered I don't think it matters. Now I wait about 15-30 minutes after I get the call to call them back.

OTOH, about half the people I do talk to thank me for calling them back and tell me that they are still waiting to hear from contractors or painters they called a week ago or more. Returning calls quickly definitely makes a good impression.
Nice website

#41 ·
Actually show up for the estimate!!!

I have won so many estimates just because I did what I said and actually showed up for estimates. The homeowners sometimes said you showed up!!1 I said thats why I am in business. To earn every clients business and that all starts by having good lines of communications.

Another thing is if your gonna be late call in advance of the appointment time to let them know. It always gets me a very gracious thankyou for having respect for their time.

#44 ·
Another thing is if your gonna be late call in advance of the appointment time to let them know. It always gets me a very gracious thankyou for having respect for their time.
Yes, always call when being late. If late again (traffic, road closed, etc.), call again. If late again.. um.. no call (two calls already too many..) :) People know you're coming..

Off-topic: One little thing that seems to work for me is a simple line at the end of the written estimate: Thank you. I look forward to working with you.

People like being liked. Complete sincerity is hard to find, but one can train oneself to like almost everyone.

#43 ·
Here is one that I just used today - use youtube. In the last few months - I have been building some before and after vids using youtube. Today, I bid on a home that had a unique cut out in the ceiling. We painted a very similar home (similar cut out and lay out). I sent him the bid via email and called him to see if he had any questions.

He said I was the highest by $500 out of a total of 3 bids but he like my presentation the most. I tried to tell him why and made sure he was comparing apples to apples. Then I followed it up with a you tube link that featured before and after pics of a similar home that we completed. Will know by Monday but I am pretty sure that will seal the deal.

#45 ·
I email my estimates often with a pdf page of pictures of the house/rooms, etc. When job is finished I also email before/after picks.

I have my camera anyways so I always try to get a zoom picture of their dog/cat or kid if they are younger. People love their pets and ALWAYS love to get pics of them. Seems to add a little to their contenance and how they react to you.

#46 ·
I email my estimates often with a pdf page of pictures of the house/rooms, etc. When job is finished I also email before/after picks.

I have my camera anyways so I always try to get a zoom picture of their dog/cat or kid if they are younger. People love their pets and ALWAYS love to get pics of them. Seems to add a little to their contenance and how they react to you.
Taking a picture of their kid seems a little creepy.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.