testimonials on website ? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Technology (websites, computers, etc..)

Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default testimonials on website ?

Are testimonials "written" by "clients" on your website really invaluable?

I've been torn.

It's not like they are a valid cross section of ALL the work a contractor has done. Obviously only the good ones or even the REALLY good ones are going to be included, and I am sure many website reviews have been fabricated by the website creator, just like the use of stock photos.

But then I think, "Damn, that was nice of them to say, I should post that"

But being a hard core suspicious skeptic and cynic, I would never believe the reviews I see, as a matter of fact, I'm the type who would think they were falsified and these glowing testimonials would count against the contractor.

Has anyone had feedback (negative or positive) about website testimonials?

daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Gough (11-10-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Are testimonials "written" by "clients" on your website really invaluable?

I've been torn.

It's not like they are a valid cross section of ALL the work a contractor has done. Obviously only the good ones or even the REALLY good ones are going to be included, and I am sure many website reviews have been fabricated by the website creator, just like the use of stock photos.

But then I think, "Damn, that was nice of them to say, I should post that"

But being a hard core suspicious skeptic and cynic, I would never believe the reviews I see, as a matter of fact, I'm the type who would think they were falsified and these glowing testimonials would count against the contractor.

Has anyone had feedback (negative or positive) about website testimonials?
I'm like you bill, I don't really trust any of them that are on the actual owners site. But then there are a few that do stand out and seem pretty real. I guess it all depends on the review.

When I see, "Joe blow painting did a great job on our house. He finished on time and under budget" I know it's fake and stupid.

But then when they talk about some unique details about their house or something like that , then it sounds pretty good.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
daArch (11-09-2013), George Z (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

I don't like it either. My old site had a submit a review, it showed name, time and date submitted eith s gravitar image. I'm going to incorporate that in my new site shortly.

I got one via email recently and posted it on my facebook with a screen shot of it to make it real as possible
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...00006341912489
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
daArch (11-09-2013), George Z (11-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

Just as reviews can be fake so can testimonials.
What we started doing is have some images of the signed testimonials
uploaded as a slider to the reviews page like this.

That binder of the originals is available by the salesperson to everyone,
phone numbers available as needed.

I am not sure you can do any more than a signed hand written one with phone number available but hardly anybody asks.

Last edited by George Z; 11-09-2013 at 05:54 PM..
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (11-09-2013), MonPeintre.ca (11-09-2013), RCP (11-09-2013), ReNt A PaInTeR (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

We wouldn't rather hear about ourselves on Angies List would we?

I know Steve Burnet got run right out of these halls, but he did video testimonials where the customer spoke. That seems real.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vermontpainter For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-29-2013), George Z (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Painting Contractor

Another point is, if there is an unhappy customer, why would you put their comments up on your website anyway?
Or at least you would after you have addressed their complaints.
If a potential customer wants to investigate you way more than:
- checking credentials,
- checking 2-3 references,
- calling 2-3 phone numbers
- maybe even seeing some of your work
- and these days following you on social media for a while
...there might be something wrong with them and they have trust issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-29-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

When we were looking at our place to rent. We wrote down 3 references. One being my mom. The land lady says well your mom isn't going to say anything bad about you...
I looked at her and said.. Why would I write anyone down who would. References are just for confidence boosters as no one is going to put a bad reference down.

And. Now a days if you do give a bad reference and not careful about what or how you say it, you can get sued.

You could always have someone who had trouble with you at first write about it following how you dealt with the problem and made them happy in the end.. But then again even though that would be honest it could lead to doubt in that persons mind.

I personally think if you are an honest person only Posting honest testimonials while running an honest company you won't have to worry about the thought of people thinking they are fake as you know they are real and being truly genuine shows right of the bat when you meet the person.
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Painter-Aaron For This Useful Post:
CliffK (11-09-2013), ewingpainting.net (11-09-2013), vermontpainter (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
PinheadsUnite

The problem with signed testimonials is that many folks are afraid of their names being on the internet, let alone phone numbers.

I already have a difficult time finding folks who what to be called by strangers for references - most of my clientèle are protective of their privacy.

heck we all know what can happen when a name and a phone number is on the net.

but as I said, I'm torn. and would really like to know if anyone has gotten direct feedback about the testimonials from a new potential customer.

"OH I loved those testimonials. gave me confidence I was hiring the right person"

"Who wrote those reviews? YOU? Sounded bogus"

"Reviews? didn't see them. Wouldn't affect my impressions of you anyway"

Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,488 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Don't overthink it. Reviews pages are one of the most critical and most often read pages on your site. If they are legit, then so are you. Who cares whether someone is going to ponder if they are real or not? Most people are not as cynical and will take them at face value.

If you want to go the extra mile, get video testimonials. Even that can be circumvented. for $5 apiece I can get fake video testimonials made on a website that features low cost gigs.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
daArch (11-09-2013), Seattlepainting (11-28-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

I have testimonials in a transition box on my homepage. I've actually had a couple first time clients comment that they loved reading them and that it gave them the confidence to give us a call.

We are fairly rural and service many little surrounding towns. I tried to use a testimonial from each of the larger towns. I agree that adding the testimonials phone number may be a bit intrusive. To keep them from worrying about their info being online I abbreviate either their first or last name with an initial.

Example :
"they did a great job, blah blah blah"
J. Doe - Savannah Mo

I also made sure I had a good mix of HO's, property managers, commercial accounts, etc. I personally think testimonials look great on a site.
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIZZOU For This Useful Post:
daArch (11-10-2013), George Z (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZZOU View Post
I've actually had a couple first time clients comment that they loved reading them and that it gave them the confidence to give us a call.
that's what I'm looking for, thank you.

I'm beginning to warm towards the idea, but I do still have this sense of modesty (it's a New England thing), but then what is a web site but a place to brag to the world that you are the greatest ?

I was just going through my "Thanks" folder, and this one caught my eye. I swear if I put this in, people would think I was embellishing. But the lady did hit upon a couple of things that I pride myself with, punctuality and attention to detail.

Quote:
Dear Bill,
Thank you so much for the super job you did on both rooms. Your workmanship, punctuality, and attention to detail are greatly appreciated. Thanks also for the extra work you put into the wall preparation. You are a true professional and it was easy having you around.
Saturday morning the molding and window trim were completed. The rooms look lovely; we are pleased!
Please don't hesitate to use my name for a recommendation. If any of my friends need a wallpaperer, your name is the only one I'd use.
Yah, I gotta show the world ones like THAT.

The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
George Z (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

This needs to be on your website Bill. It's an excellent example of the type of service and professionalism potential clients can expect to receive.

I've had such good luck with the testimonials on the site that I've considered adding some to our FB posts. I'll typically post a couple before and after pics, but I'm thinking of also adding a screen shot of a typed testimonial. Anyone else do this? Good idea to try?
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MIZZOU For This Useful Post:
daArch (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

A few of the testimonials I use are from local real estate agents. It doesn't say that on the reviews (one does, actually) but I figure anyone in the industry would recognize their names which should give me some small validation.

I've had a hard time getting people to give me testimonials/recommendations/reviews. Not because they aren't happy, but just because they are busy. I know if the role was reversed it would take me a long time to get someone a letter.

Next year I'm going to try something different and on the day I finish the job offer to take $25 off of the final bill if they give me a hand written recommendation letter with the final payment.

I'm going to purchase a collection of stationary paper and let them choose what pattern they want to write it on. Then, after I have a nice sampling of them I want to get them scanned and printed in an 8x8 photo book that I can let homeowners look through while I am measuring out a job.

|
|
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Painting View Post
A few of the testimonials I use are from local real estate agents. It doesn't say that on the reviews (one does, actually) but I figure anyone in the industry would recognize their names which should give me some small validation.

I've had a hard time getting people to give me testimonials/recommendations/reviews. Not because they aren't happy, but just because they are busy. I know if the role was reversed it would take me a long time to get someone a letter.

Next year I'm going to try something different and on the day I finish the job offer to take $25 off of the final bill if they give me a hand written recommendation letter with the final payment.

I'm going to purchase a collection of stationary paper and let them choose what pattern they want to write it on. Then, after I have a nice sampling of them I want to get them scanned and printed in an 8x8 photo book that I can let homeowners look through while I am measuring out a job.
Use a completion form. In it there should be a rating space with check marks,
A space for signature, name and date and of course space for comments.
A customer MUST fill the completion form for the warranty to have an effect.
It is never a problem for us and we have hundreds of signed testimonials as a result.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-29-2013), Hines Painting (11-18-2013), MIZZOU (11-11-2013), wje (11-10-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Master Painter

View Bobbo's Photo Album My Photos

I've had customers mention to me time and time again that they were quite impressed with the testimonials posted on my website ! As a precaution I don't list customers full names . You can't be too careful in this day of identity theft ! All the customers who post testimonials also agree to be references as well so people know that my testimonials are 100% legitimate .

Link to my testimonial page ... http://valentiandsonspainting.com/in...stimonials.php

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 502
View South-FL-Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo
I've had customers mention to me time and time again that they were quite impressed with the testimonials posted on my website ! As a precaution I don't list customers full names . You can't be too careful in this day of identity theft ! All the customers who post testimonials also agree to be references as well so people know that my testimonials are 100% legitimate . Link to my testimonial page ... http://valentiandsonspainting.com/in...stimonials.php
I like the idea,that you put the actual job picture along with testimonial/review. I might steal the idea
South-FL-Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #17
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,648
Thanked 4,386 Times in 1,916 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
You can't be too careful in this day of identity theft !
The irony is..... ironic.

ProWallGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
Bobbo (11-18-2013), daArch (11-19-2013), PatsPainting (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
Master Painter

View Bobbo's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by South-FL-Painter View Post
I like the idea,that you put the actual job picture along with testimonial/review. I might steal the idea
It's like putting a face to a name . It helps the future customers see what others were raving about . Go ahead steal away ! Lord knows none of us are angels here !

Last edited by Bobbo; 11-19-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbo For This Useful Post:
South-FL-Painter (11-18-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Professional painter

Rewards Points: 10
View upandown's Photo Album My Photos

I'm thinking to create section for testimonials on my site, its good image of the company,i bet every one is listing only positive feedback, to make sure client can trust you.

Painters and Decorators in Chelsea | Painters and Decorators Fulham
upandown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 282
View Seattlepainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Reviews etc

Reviews and testimonials are a fact for service industries. The use and acceptance of online sources is different from city to city. Angie's List, Houzz, Google Places, and Yelp all have different footprints by geography; this is my analysis by evaluating my numbers and a dozen other painting contractors who track those metrics (lead source to track ROI usually by CRM such as salesforce).

These internet properties are critical to local rank in addition. I notice some contractors use these web property URLs instead of their FB page;

In my market Yelp is very powerful and many companies yelp pages outrank their own web presence in SERP for the most common keyword searches ie house painting, house painters.

Seattlepainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None