Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Distressed Cabinetry

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ThreeSistersPainting 
#1 ·
Had a request 2 months ago about this project from a cabinet maker I met at a dinner. The customer emailed him a picture of a woman in a reddish blouse and told him thats the color she wants this kitchen island, distressed. Immediately looked through the divine collection and found paprika.

SW Wood Primer, SW SuperPaint urbane bronze base coat, devine paprika top coat. Let each coat dry 24 hours before sanding. Put a glaze over everything before shooting a couple coats of chemcraft satin.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm sorry just not into the distressed look, weathered maybe!
Years ago we painted a house for a guy that was a distressed furniture maker, talk about a weird guy!
We were painting the first ceiling, when he say's you're not going to brush that on? WTF! So we finally convinced him to let use a mohair 1/8" sleeve!
His entire house was filled with real antique furniture, but every table, chair, sofa etc. we tried to move one or more legs would fall off!
This house was a big old turn of the century, that had seen better days in Lake Forest.
Talk about a pain in arse customer!:vs_shocked:

#7 ·
Just thinking about it. Why did you use Super Paint? Was it because it was specified, had it sitting around, or ??

Cost wise, I would have probably used EcoSelect, distressed it all, then shot a clear on it for protection.

In actuality I probably would have used chalk paint as it sands easier.

Just curious, but great job either way. :)

#8 ·
I had the basecoat color in SuperPaint when I did the sample piece. Surprisingly sanded really well even though reading about horrible experiences trying to sand it. After 2 coats of primer, 4 coats of super paint, sanding in between each coat, then finishing with 3 coats lacquer it came out like glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.