A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat repaint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Photos of Project and Equipment

Like Tree21Likes
  • 9 Post By ridesarize
  • 1 Post By PremierPaintingMa
  • 1 Post By Tprice2193
  • 2 Post By Delta Painting
  • 4 Post By Mr Smith
  • 2 Post By Mr Smith
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By ridesarize

Old 02-04-2019, 02:59 AM  

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat repaint

Hey guys. Just sharing a recent cabinet job from December. I finished it right before Christmas. I was checking out cabinet paint threads on here, and was interested in scuff-x or other paints. I ended up going with Insl-x Cabinet Coat Satin which I've been happy with in the past. I did not feel like using Advance on this set of cabinets.

The existing coating was clear lacquer. All solid wood doors, but had vinyl edge banding on the plywood boxes.

I did a quick degrease where needed. Pre-sanded most areas with the festool DTS400 (boxes), RTS400 (doors) and hand sanded 220 sanding paper on the rest.. Prepped with Elmers carpenter filler. Cleaned, caulked.

Primed the boxes with Stix for the onsite work and tinted shellac for the doors/drawers in my garage. All done with my Graco 695 Ultra Max airless lowboy, and Titan sc6+ 410 FF tip.

I made a plastic wall separating her kitchen from the living room and hallway. I did not use any zipwall poles but had it taped up to the ceiling well and it stayed for a week.

When it comes to the shop work I had to clear room in my garage and utilized a couple Perry scaffolds for drying racks and spraying racks and a four-foot-tall one for a work table. I came up with a new movable spray booth by plastic-ing the inside of the Perry scaffold and using a 2x3 crossmember to hang the cabinet door on as I sprayed it.

The deep base Cabinet Coat Satin turned out slick. I really like the color the client picked and it matches her decor really well with her Navy blue pottery and accents in the home.

Client wanted a color similar to Hale Navy,... and Meteor Shower CC-5443 was right on the front of the cabinet coat brochure. The Satin turned out to be a nice subtle sheen, but silky smooth.

Client was overly happy with the results. We high fived after I assembled everything and adjusted doors.
Attached Thumbnails
A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-img_20181231_152401.jpg  

A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-img_20181231_152919.jpg  

A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-img_20190203_231456.jpg  

A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-img_20190203_232824.jpg  

A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-20181221_194231.jpg  

A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-20181221_135958.jpg  

NACE, Delta Painting, Fman and 6 others like this.
stelzerpaintinginc. (04-03-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 AM  

Rewards Points: 100
View PremierPaintingMa's Photo Album My Photos

Nice work!
ridesarize likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to PremierPaintingMa For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 AM  

View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

Yes sir that is a real nice job! The CC has a nice sheen in that deep base. That dark of a color would have scared me. Can't hide imperfections. Thanks for the lighting on the pics. It reveals just how smooth that finish is. I do have a few questions:. 1) Did you spray all coats Vertical? 2) what type of ventilation did you use in your booth and in house 3) do you treat backsIde of doors the same as frontside? Thanks for sharing your work, it is really high quality.
ridesarize likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tprice2193 For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (02-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 10:05 AM  

Rewards Points: 192
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Look's great, Thanks for sharing!
ridesarize and lilpaintchic like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta Painting For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (02-04-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:10 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tprice2193 View Post
Yes sir that is a real nice job! The CC has a nice sheen in that deep base. That dark of a color would have scared me. Can't hide imperfections. Thanks for the lighting on the pics. It reveals just how smooth that finish is. I do have a few questions:. 1) Did you spray all coats Vertical? 2) what type of ventilation did you use in your booth and in house 3) do you treat backsIde of doors the same as frontside? Thanks for sharing your work, it is really high quality.

Thank you very much. I did spray all coats with the doors hanging. I didn't get any runs except on the cabinet bases I got too brave on the second coat and had some sags that I had to wet sand out and respray for free.

Other than that, it went perfect on prime coats, 1st coat and all the door coating.
I prepped everything inside and out, as well as can be with Elmers filler, which fixed them up really nice considering the gouges that were on the inside of 4 doors. I just didn't use red glazing putty though on the insides.

No ventilation needed in the kitchen on-site, as each coat was only about 5 minutes or less to spray. The kitchen spray booth was sealed up nicely so no dust or smell escaped.

For the shellac work in my garage, I set up a box fan going out my garage door with a filter on it.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:24 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,964
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Looks good!

I haven't used CC in about 2-3 years since I had some runs. I should give it another try because I might have sprayed the paint too heavy on a bathroom vanity. Most of the runs were on the lower part like the kick plate.

I recently sprayed some Advance vertically with no runs. The trick is to move 2x faster than other paints.

Here is a PVC spray stand I built for spraying on hangers. It can be broken down easily and is therefore portable, and stores in a compact snowboard case.

I usually build a spray booth for this setup with Zipwalls. I suppose I could build an attachment of PVC and add a "TENT" to the back end using plastic taped to the additional PVC frame... That would catch all the overspray. I could even add a fan (or air mover) vent inside the "TENT" and attach the fan to one of those harbor freight exhaust hoses to vent outside.
Attached Thumbnails
A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-leah-chestermere-2018-01-14-015.jpg  

Last edited by Mr Smith; 02-05-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Old 02-05-2019, 01:43 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,964
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

I notice you are using wire fastened to the hinge holes. How did you do that? I normally use 1' cup hooks. I know Rockler sells fasteners that hook into the mortice type of hinge holes.
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-sure-hooks-360
ridesarize and Wildbill7145 like this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 02-05-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Old 02-11-2019, 08:27 PM  
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 693
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Looks good!

I haven't used CC in about 2-3 years since I had some runs. I should give it another try because I might have sprayed the paint too heavy on a bathroom vanity. Most of the runs were on the lower part like the kick plate.

I recently sprayed some Advance vertically with no runs. The trick is to move 2x faster than other paints.

Here is a PVC spray stand I built for spraying on hangers. It can be broken down easily and is therefore portable, and stores in a compact snowboard case.

I usually build a spray booth for this setup with Zipwalls. I suppose I could build an attachment of PVC and add a "TENT" to the back end using plastic taped to the additional PVC frame... That would catch all the overspray. I could even add a fan (or air mover) vent inside the "TENT" and attach the fan to one of those harbor freight exhaust hoses to vent outside.
That's actually pretty cool..
Mr Smith likes this.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM  
Kev D.

My current spray booth. Just an old sawhorse, with 2 movable blocks with padded screws on top for laying doors on..
Attached Thumbnails
A little "Meteor Shower" Cabinet Coat  repaint-20180423_153958_1549934980950.jpg  

Old 02-13-2019, 02:14 AM  

Quote:
I notice you are using wire fastened to the hinge holes. How did you do that? I normally use 1' cup hooks. I know Rockler sells fasteners that hook into the mortice type of hinge holes.
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-sure-hooks-360

I pre-drill 3/32" holes where the hinge will cover it up and put 2 or 2.5" drywall screws there and attach wire a certain way. On one side I only crimp the wire around the screw instead of wrapping it around so I can detach the wire in a split second and hang it up on my 2x3 or 2x4 board.

When i use the wire and a 2x3 or 2x4 the doors don't twist or swing much while they dry so they don't hit each other.
Mr Smith likes this.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 AM  
Kev D.

Looks fantastic. I still can't get with all the taping required to spray the minimal amount of surface left. I know it's a great look after, but when none of the walls or ceilings or anything else is being painted, it just seems over kill when I can get a fantastic result with a microfiber roller and not have to tape anything off..
And the client can still use their kitchen. All situational of course.

I always spray the doors. But most of the time there's hardly any surface left showing except end panels. Sometimes I'll also remove end panels and spray at the shop.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Last edited by finishesbykevyn; 02-13-2019 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Add text
Old 02-13-2019, 06:09 AM  
Kev D.

Double post.

Last edited by finishesbykevyn; 02-13-2019 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Delete
Old 04-02-2019, 03:38 PM  

Rewards Points: 100
View Packard's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
[...] That would catch all the overspray. I could even add a fan (or air mover) vent inside the "TENT" and attach the fan to one of those harbor freight exhaust hoses to vent outside.
Or take a cue from clean room technology. Use a fan with a filter to blow air into the spray booth and allow an exhaust hose to evacuate the air.

That way you have a constant flow of outside filtered air entering the spray area (eliminating dust and keeping the room "inflated").

The worst thing you can do is to set up an exhaust fan. It will suck dust into the spray booth.

This is a standard method we used to use in old time darkrooms (photography) where dust was an even bigger enemy than it is for painting.

For my old darkroom, I took a box fan and attached a 20" square furnce filter to blow into the darkroom. The whole setup cost less than $40.00 (adjusted for today's cost).
Old 04-03-2019, 02:06 AM  

Rewards Points: 2,950
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Here's a real meteor shower, baby! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Q7OnRTmWiPM

Tags
None