a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Photos of Project and Equipment

Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Dj913's Photo Album My Photos
Default a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer

a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer-forumrunner_20121013_072752.jpg

Bare maple

a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer-forumrunner_20121013_072802.jpg

a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer-forumrunner_20121013_072826.jpg

Im curious as to what you guys charge for railing? That is if you are in new construction. I charge $22.00/ft. Total length of this is 20ft. A little over 4 hours time into with prep.
Dj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dj913 For This Useful Post:
Gotdibz (10-24-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

What product did you use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

|
|
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 282
View Seattlepainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default We have used ML Cambell

A few years ago; we finished a job started by another contractor and used ML Campell water base tinted Lacquer; the results seems identical for application and performance...just seems the vehicle was water vs. hot solvent.

The misconception is that the water lacquer is safer or greener. It was developed for spec writers and versions of it have been around for years.

In the long run the lacquer stuff wears poorly on traffic substrates. You just dont notice it (as much) on clears over show quality wood.

Seattlepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattlepainting For This Useful Post:
wje (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

View Dj913's Photo Album My Photos

Opps! I meant to put waterbourne laquer. The product was made by enduragreen, which is cdi I believe. Its a product made by general paint in Canada.
Dj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlepainting View Post
A few years ago; we finished a job started by another contractor and used ML Campell water base tinted Lacquer; the results seems identical for application and performance...just seems the vehicle was water vs. hot solvent.

The misconception is that the water lacquer is safer or greener. It was developed for spec writers and versions of it have been around for years.

In the long run the lacquer stuff wears poorly on traffic substrates. You just dont notice it (as much) on clears over show quality wood.
Lacquer is popular with the woodworking and cabinet shops because they can crank out products finished with it in a hurry. Short re-coat times mean that their finishing/drying areas aren't tied up for long. We often get called it to refinish their products after a few short years. I get tired of having to explain to clients why the "factory finish" on their cabinets didn't last very long.
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 208
View Gotdibz's Photo Album My Photos

From what I've read I don't believe lacquers are inferior at all, If anything they provide more protection then paint.

those lacquer jobs that fail in a short time span is because of improper application or techniques. The same could be said about paint.

Nice work, what brand lacquer did you use? I want to start using waterborne lacquers from a company called Target coatings; I hear nothing but good stuff.
Gotdibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #8

I have just started using wb lacquer for our cabinet refinishes. There are a couple of hurdles I had to overcome wrt application, but the results are fantastic.

I have been using sw kem aqua plus on our current job and have a thread I will be updating with all the details as they progress. I have some new pics that are uploading atm to the album.

https://www.painttalk.com/f24/restori...unty-nc-20937/

The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Gotdibz (10-24-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Allmighty Bob

View rpepaint's Photo Album My Photos

I have lacquered a million miles of cabinets and trim in my career. It is my take that lacquer can be mis-applied as with any finish. In my business, I believe that there is no easier finish to repair as nitro-cellulose lacquer. Very minimal prep and the finish can be restored and then properly applied for lasting protection and beauty. Just my opinion. Bob.
rpepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
RH

Rewards Points: 5,698
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Am I missing something? From the title I expected a new application process or product.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 516
View Westview's Photo Album My Photos

what kind of sprayer did you use?
Westview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
I have just started using wb lacquer for our cabinet refinishes. There are a couple of hurdles I had to overcome wrt application, but the results are fantastic.

I have been using sw kem aqua plus on our current job and have a thread I will be updating with all the details as they progress. I have some new pics that are uploading atm to the album.

https://www.painttalk.com/f24/restori...unty-nc-20937/

Hey Tommy, If you have any tips, I'm thinking of using a wb lacquer for a real small cabinet job, customer is kinda asking for it. I really want to avoid the regular nasty stuff and give the wb a shot. Right now the cabinets are mostly mdf.

My concerns are: mdf - most of the wb lacquers are self sealing. not a fan of putting water right on mdf as it typically soaks it up like a sponge. I would like to seal them first with something else.

Second concern is I only have a turbine hvlp, and the heat might cause orange peel more then usual.

Any other tips would be great

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #13

Pat the surfacer works great with mdf. Just sand really good, I go up to 320 on profiles before primer.

Using wb lacquer takes some practice. It's a finicky product that behaves different. Play with it Pat. 1.8 needle set.

The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (05-09-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #14

Ok, another question, I see Dunn Edwards here is having a sell on the valspar stuff. what is the difference between the Pre-catalyzed vs the one on the top, I see the pre stuff is more expensive.

This lacquer stuff is new to me, I always turned down these type of jobs. But I wanna give it a shot now.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer-add.jpg  

Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #15

Just want to update this, I did wind up using the valspar undercoater and the semi gloss from the above add. Used a graco edge cup gun, a 3 stage old beat up graco 1200 machine. The fluid needle was the stock #3. For the primer, I added just a smidge of water. The primer was freaking awesome, in 15 - 20 minutes, it sanded really great, complete powder. I put two coats on these mdf cabinets.

I used the semi gloss waterborne valspar lacquer. again just a smidge of water, maybe a 1/4 dixie cup worth and did 3 coats. Stuff dries very fast, you can sand it in about 25-30 minutes. However it did not sand all that great. clogged the paper and little balls was forming. If you did not get them off they seemed to stick to the surface. So a damp rag was used.

Very happy with the outcome. Painting mdf cabinets are a pain though. The edges and the router out parts were really rough. I had to finger spackle then damp rag it after a bit to smooth the mdf stuff out.

Few pics below, again not the greatest photos, seems I need to get a better flash as my new Tokina lens is to big or something. Leaves a small shadow.

The large door on the right will be covered with a mirror, so not allot of detail was spent on it.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer-pic1.jpg  

a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer-pic2.jpg  

a new technique. spraying water based tinted laquer-pic3.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
Gough (05-22-2014), MikeCalifornia (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,056
Thanked 1,006 Times in 639 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Pat, to answer your lacquer question if not already. Precats are catalyzed at the factory and have a shelf life, depends on the product. Most stores do not know, so always check for old product. The have better water resistance than a regular lacquer, so for kitchen and bath cabinets they are a better choice. CV you add the hardener on site, short pot life, mix what you need for the day. Much more water resistance than the two above.

Did you lacquer all the crown, doors, and trim?
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Pat, to answer your lacquer question if not already. Precats are catalyzed at the factory and have a shelf life, depends on the product. Most stores do not know, so always check for old product. The have better water resistance than a regular lacquer, so for kitchen and bath cabinets they are a better choice. CV you add the hardener on site, short pot life, mix what you need for the day. Much more water resistance than the two above.

Did you lacquer all the crown, doors, and trim?
Thanks Mike for the explanation. Asked another guy lacquer guy at the paint store and he just said it's a harder finish.

Advance was used for all the other trim, Doors and frames were old and already had massive brush lines, the crown and base which I installed was new, but I just wanted it to match the other trim.

Pat

Tags
None