EPA Lead Certification - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Green Painting Practices

Old 03-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View Southfork's Photo Album My Photos
Default EPA Lead Certification

Howdy all,

So I guess I need to become EPA certified to work on houses pre 1978, or risk fines of $32,500 per day/incident.

At the risk of sending this thread into a tailspin, i'm not looking for exact numbers, but how much more than your normal rate do you feel can be charged if you are certified to do this work?

I'm assuming with all the protocols required, the price will skyrocket.

2x as much?
10x as much?
Are people gonna really pay for this stuff?
Southfork is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southfork View Post
Howdy all,

So I guess I need to become EPA certified to work on houses pre 1978, or risk fines of $32,500 per day/incident.

At the risk of sending this thread into a tailspin, i'm not looking for exact numbers, but how much more than your normal rate do you feel can be charged if you are certified to do this work?

I'm assuming with all the protocols required, the price will skyrocket.

2x as much?
10x as much?
Are people gonna really pay for this stuff?
Some people here are really doing well with this stuff, as far as the extra costs involved really depends on the job.

You're probably looking at a minimum of $1500.00 for costs to get going with this, hepa vac, shrouds for your sanders, cost of classes and fee to epa.

Customers do pay it, I guess this depends on your market though.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
6126 (04-30-2011), HQP2005 (03-28-2012)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View pacificpaintservices's Photo Album My Photos

The first thing that I do when I am bidding on an RRP job is think about all the extra time it is going to take. I would say that adding an extra day would be on the right track but could take more depending on the size of the project and if it is interior or exterior. Keep in mind that you are responsible for teaching your employees so that will take a bit of time, plus slow down the whole operation.

www.pacificpaintservices.com
pacificpaintservices is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacificpaintservices For This Useful Post:
6126 (04-30-2011), HQP2005 (03-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Mike in Milwaukee

Rewards Points: 16
View remodelandpaint's Photo Album My Photos

We've been certified for about 8 months... here's what I've done for rates:

1) my workers HATE wearing the full body suits, the Masks, the eye gear, etc. It's just plain old uncomfortable... hot, cumbersome, etc... SO I ALWAYS PAY THEM MORE, PER HOUR, ON THESE KINDS OF JOBS.

2) because emphasizing the importance of the forms/documents/record keeping is so important, I have a checklist and I incentivize monetarily for each item. It's only $5/step, which is little for me to pay out to reward a guy for doing his job.

3) add TIME per room, it does take longer... how much more time is such a variable though... you just have to go through your list... covering everything takes how much? masking off windows? doors? vacuuming? baby wipes to surfaces? It can easily add 4 hours to an an average room (say 12 by 15) with furniture in it.

4) per job overhead costs -don't forget the costs of the eye wear, masks, full body suits, heavy plastic, garbage bags, caution tape, baby wipes, etc... It can easily add $150 to the average job

5) and as mentioned, your other bigger costs... hepa vac, etc.

Hope this helps...
remodelandpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to remodelandpaint For This Useful Post:
6126 (11-20-2011), Delta Painting (03-29-2012), dpeters (08-03-2012), HQP2005 (03-28-2012)
Old 11-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodelandpaint View Post
We've been certified for about 8 months... here's what I've done for rates:

1) my workers HATE wearing the full body suits, the Masks, the eye gear, etc. It's just plain old uncomfortable... hot, cumbersome, etc... SO I ALWAYS PAY THEM MORE, PER HOUR, ON THESE KINDS OF JOBS.

2) because emphasizing the importance of the forms/documents/record keeping is so important, I have a checklist and I incentivize monetarily for each item. It's only $5/step, which is little for me to pay out to reward a guy for doing his job.

3) add TIME per room, it does take longer... how much more time is such a variable though... you just have to go through your list... covering everything takes how much? masking off windows? doors? vacuuming? baby wipes to surfaces? It can easily add 4 hours to an an average room (say 12 by 15) with furniture in it.

4) per job overhead costs -don't forget the costs of the eye wear, masks, full body suits, heavy plastic, garbage bags, caution tape, baby wipes, etc... It can easily add $150 to the average job

5) and as mentioned, your other bigger costs... hepa vac, etc.

Hope this helps...
I like your system.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
remodelandpaint (11-20-2011)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #6

View mosby's Photo Album My Photos

The extra equipment is a major bummer to wear, especially during the summer. I live in Boise and it's absolutely miserable sometimes.

remodelandpaint, I like your system. Definitely going to consider doing that myself.

mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 152
View Lazerline's Photo Album My Photos

After spending the day taking the class and getting the certification, I decided if the house shows controlled levels of lead Ill pass on the job for now. Its not worth the trouble for me at this point.
Lazerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #8

View Painter CT's Photo Album My Photos

EPA lead certification is a necessary evil in this area of CT. For us, it's important to have that listed on our website. Clients look for it.

"Well-healed" homeowners pay for the job to be done correctly - so there is money to be made. The important thing is to carefully explain your process to the homeowner so they can make an informed decision.

That said, I'm sure that I have lost many bids because a "non-lead-certified" contractor can offer a rock bottom price that I just can't beat. Of course, people get what they pay for...but in many instances, their bottom line is strictly price.

LINK DELETED

Last edited by daArch; 07-19-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Painter CT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Painter CT For This Useful Post:
6126 (07-19-2012)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 234
View ElegantPainting's Photo Album My Photos

We do plenty of houses that were built in the 1950's but extensively remodeled in the 1990's. There is no trace of lead but the state requires us to be certified as a lead renovator just to perform the lead check and to inform the client that they tested negative.
We present them the negative test report, provide them the lead safety pamphlet, and request their signature on a form.
Adds about 10 minutes to the project, reassures us that the team is not exposed to poisons, we avoid $37500.00 in fines, and our clients love the fact that we follow rules.
ElegantPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None