Exterior paint accidentally used on my interior window sill - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Green Painting Practices

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Delta Painting
  • 1 Post By jennifertemple
Closed Thread
Unread 10-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View Lovesummer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior paint accidentally used on my interior window sill

I am not professional painter so I am seeking opinions from here. I painted my outside mailbox post then have a lot of leftover of Valspar SeasonFlex paint & primer in my bucket. I went inside my house and brushed some paint on my windowsill. After six brushes, I realized that I am using exterior paint inside. I have kept my window open for 12 hours. It is dry now. I am scared to death about how toxic this window sill is with exterior paint. Will this paint give out toxic mildewcide odor forever? Should I hire someone to replace the window sill? Please help if you ever used exterior paint inside. I am so scared!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I for one wouldn't call that a accident....Exit the house all pets and children as well you F#cked up bad! J/K..lol You'll be fine with paint and primer in one..lol
Brushman4 and cocomonkeynuts like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 10-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,682
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

^^^What he said^^^
Generally, exterior paints are formulated to hold up to the weather better and may not give quite as nice finish as interior paint. There should be no health concerns with what you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,300
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

From Valspar TDS for this product

Caution
"Avoid breathing vapors, spray mist or sanding dust. If painting indoors, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying".

According to the TDS, the product isn't completely restricted to exterior use. However, it does contain silica and can be considered a hazard when sanded. If you have concerns, refer to the product SDS.

Last edited by CApainter; 10-06-2019 at 08:46 PM..
Unread 10-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

Thanks for all your replies! I read “caution” part of this paint, therefore I thought it can be used for indoors. Especially the sentence “if painting indoors, open windows and doors” mislead me. I wish the label would say “do not use indoors”
Unread 10-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,599
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

READ THIS! https://www.painttalk.com/f2/announcements/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Unread 10-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,300
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesummer View Post
Thanks for all your replies! I read “caution” part of this paint, therefore I thought it can be used for indoors. Especially the sentence “if painting indoors, open windows and doors” mislead me. I wish the label would say “do not use indoors”
That makes too much sense.
Unread 10-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #8

Jennifertemple, sorry the link took me to many posts. Which one do you think I need to read?
Unread 10-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,599
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesummer View Post
Jennifertemple, sorry the link took me to many posts. Which one do you think I need to read?
It does not take you to many posts, it takes you to the first post that said:

PaintTalk.com is designed to be a pros only community serving professional painters, apprentices, and related professional paint fields. Anyone who works as a professional painter, apprentice, or in a related professional paint field is welcome to join the site and participate in our forums.

In addition to professional painters we also allow Manufacturers, Vendors, and Service Providers who work with painters or in the paint industry, on a full time basis, to join the site and join in the conversation. We do however require that they follow our Advertising Rules when doing so. Failure to do so will mean that your account may be banned from the site.

As stated above, PaintTalk.com is designed to be a pros only community and that means that "Do It Yourself" homeowners looking for free advice and other non-professionals are not allowed to join the site. If you need help with a paint related project we highly recommend you join DIYChatroom.com where you will find some great advice and a friendly community.

If you have additional questions or need help with this topic, please start a new thread in our Site Help and Suggestions

You are not a pro painter and should not be a member here!
The mods already locked your earlier post with the same question and rather than respect them, you chose to ignore them and start the thread a second time.
Brushman4 likes this.

In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."

Last edited by jennifertemple; 10-06-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Unread 10-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 954
Thanked 4,486 Times in 2,470 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com .

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php .

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Closed Thread