Green Sprayer Pump Armor/Protective alternatives? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Green Painting Practices

Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 372
View beedoola's Photo Album My Photos
Default Green Sprayer Pump Armor/Protective alternatives?

I just purchases a used Graco sprayer and I've read it is common to use Anti-Freeze when storing the sprayer - or some type of pump protective like Graco sells.

Is there something that is equally effective but not as nasty as Anti-Freeze?
beedoola is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 114
View The Cutting Edge's Photo Album My Photos

Ive never heard of running antifreeze in an airless. I run mineral spirits in mine at the end of the day for quite a while. Been getting tired of buying so much mineral spirits though. I started running the pump armor stuff through them the last couple of days but just don't trust it as much as the spirits. I'm anxious to here what others leave in their pumps. I talked to a guy a while back said he ran kerosene in his.
The Cutting Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 166
View Surreal Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Could use a form of some alcohol. Wont freeze and better then anti. If its cold I just drain my hose all the way. Maybe put a cover over your pump. Stored my pump in cold mn garage no problems yet. Been 2 seasons with it.
Surreal Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 12:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 24
View racx's Photo Album My Photos

Anti freeze is a good thing to use but buy biodegradable rv antifreeze. We use that or as mentioned mineral spirits but remeber mineral spirits will gum up latex so make sure lines are throughly flushed first. Antifreeze does all the things pump armor does but cheaper.
racx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racx For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (06-19-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 772
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos

I have only use the armor stuff sold by titan . I have found it has turned it from sluggish to running better from a full bottle run through. Maybe it was a placebo effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #6

View JonPainter's Photo Album My Photos

I maintain alot of pumps at my 7-330 job outside of side painting. Mineral spirits will make the pump last longer if you're storing it, alcohol or other thinners would evaporate and dry out the packing, which could cause them to crack or rip when you start it up after a long time. List gotta make sure the latex is all flushed out like mentioned above. The key is the oil layer on everything. If you had to you can also use a light oil. If you want a more friendly idea, could try out a cooking oil in water, so it would leave a film. Just make sure flush the equipment with the appropriate fluid before spraying to get any residue out.
JonPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 2
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPainter View Post
I maintain alot of pumps at my 7-330 job outside of side painting. Mineral spirits will make the pump last longer if you're storing it, alcohol or other thinners would evaporate and dry out the packing, which could cause them to crack or rip when you start it up after a long time. List gotta make sure the latex is all flushed out like mentioned above. The key is the oil layer on everything. If you had to you can also use a light oil. If you want a more friendly idea, could try out a cooking oil in water, so it would leave a film. Just make sure flush the equipment with the appropriate fluid before spraying to get any residue out.
You do realize this thread is 5 yrs. old? But since you fired it up again, I have never left anything in my lines but water. Had my graco for 10 yrs with no issues. Just saying. They have stainless steel parts and are an airless design hence minimal rusting.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None