Paint stripper - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Green Painting Practices

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By goga
  • 1 Post By stelzerpaintinginc.
  • 2 Post By Woodco
  • 2 Post By fauxlynn

Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
View Starbite's Photo Album My Photos
Default Paint stripper

Since nobody seems to sell Super Strip or Stripeeze anymore what do you use? I've found Smart Strip in a few stores but at 60 dollars a gallon I just can't justify the price for what it's worth. I'm a Sherwin Williams employee currently but my hobby is refinishing old mosin nagant rifles, and I've found that Easy-Off oven cleaner will take the finish off of anything, alcohol or oil based... Since Methylene Chloride base products have been taken off the shelf what do you use?
Starbite is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,088
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbite View Post
Since nobody seems to sell Super Strip or Stripeeze anymore what do you use? I've found Smart Strip in a few stores but at 60 dollars a gallon I just can't justify the price for what it's worth. I'm a Sherwin Williams employee currently but my hobby is refinishing old mosin nagant rifles, and I'vefound that Easy-Off oven cleaner will take the finish off of anything, alcohol or oil based... Since Methylene Chloride base products have been taken off the shelf what do you use?

I stock them...

Methylene Chloride has not been 'taken off the shelf' just some box stores decided that DIY's are too much a liability with the chemicals because people like to refinish tubs in small enclosed areas. If you shopped at independent paint stores and not corporate owned stores you will easily find it. Even my local acehardware has them.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 10-07-2018 at 12:27 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,108
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I'm lucky that my local hardware store still carries Stripeeze. It's just so much more effective than the "girly" DIY paint strippers. Used it last winter on some old varnished stair treads and it took the varnish off in minutes!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,019
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Since nobody seems to sell Super Strip or Stripeeze anymore what do you use? I've found Smart Strip in a few stores but at 60 dollars a gallon I just can't justify the price for what it's worth. I'm a Sherwin Williams employee currently but my hobby is refinishing old mosin nagant rifles, and I've found that Easy-Off oven cleaner will take the finish off of anything, alcohol or oil based... Since Methylene Chloride base products have been taken off the shelf what do you use?

I imagine A gallon would go pretty far and let's face it. Refinishing stuff is an expensive time consuming job. Probably why I don't do much of it. Not to mention I also don't want to be handling those nasty products.
If your reselling the pieces afterwords, it's all relative no?
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I imagine A gallon would go pretty far and let's face it. Refinishing stuff is an expensive time consuming job. Probably why I don't do much of it. Not to mention I also don't want to be handling those nasty products.
If your reselling the pieces afterwords, it's all relative no?
Totally, 100% agreeing, as ppl do not consume in their heads, what harm to "remove" the "old" paint is.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 562
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I'm done with MEK products (forever if I can help it). That stuff is definitely harmful to a person's health.
A known carcinogen (at least according to the last Lead Renovator Refresher class I was at), and officially banned from use for professionals removing Lead Paint.
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 197
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

How much do we need to potentially shorten our lives or impact our health in order to finish projects faster?

With waterborne products becoming more commonplace and more VOC regulations, I think painters/people have become complacent to the serious health dangers working with harmful chemical can have. The lack of training in our industry only exacerbates this problem.

Iím amazed at how many guys I see spraying exteriors without any type of respirator or dust mask. It pisses me off every time I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,088
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
I'm done with MEK products (forever if I can help it). That stuff is definitely harmful to a person's health.
A known carcinogen (at least according to the last Lead Renovator Refresher class I was at), and officially banned from use for professionals removing Lead Paint.

FYI MEK is methyl ethyl ketone, similar to acetone it is a member of the ketone family of solvents.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
Troy

Rewards Points: 132
Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,122 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Jasco

Quote:
I know that big box stores around here stopped carrying methylene chloride strippers, but smaller stores still carry it. Just got a gallon of original meth chloride Jasco at my local BM store 3 weeks ago. The methylene chloride-free Jasco found at big box stores now is nothing like the original.

The Easy-Off you use is primarily sodium hydroxide, which I've also used several times in the last few weeks. I get 50lb bags of Caustic Soda Beads from a local chem distributor, which is 99% pure NaoH. For larger scale orders, search your state for Univar or Brentag, 2 of the biggest chem suppliers in the world & found in nearly every state. For smaller scale, search Amazon or whatever local supplier for caustic soda beads, (also called caustic soda pearls or micro pearls). Use with extreme caution and know that you'll also need to follow up any sodium hydroxide application with an acid like oxalic, citric, citralic etc., which will neutralize the wood to bring the pH back down to optimum levels in order to prepare for stain or sealer. It'll also lighten the wood, since NaoH darkens most woods immediately. For smaller scale purchases of an acid, search for wood brighteners in your area, sometimes referred to as wood bleach, (although it contains no sodium hypochlorite as the name would suggest).

Keep the 2 products away from one another at all times and avoid cross-contamination in buckets and storage vessels. Wear appropriate PPE and do your homework before handling these products.

As a side note, stripping costs are usually made up primarily of labor expense. The last thing I'd do when trying to decide on a stripping product is to factor in the material cost. JMO.
Holland likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
FYI MEK is methyl ethyl ketone, similar to acetone it is a member of the ketone family of solvents.
Thanks, I don't want to spread bad information...

MEK and Methylene Chloride are not the same thing. I have been using them interchangeably - I stand corrected.

MEK was delisted from EPA's list of carcinogens a few years ago, i don't know if that means they can be bought and used used now?
However, Methylene Chloride is considered a "likely carcinogen", and is accompanied with a strong health warning from what I can find.

Last edited by Holland; 04-17-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Old 04-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
final thoughts: new information does not change my opinion. MEK is nasty (and probably bad for you), and it sounds like Methylene Chloride can potentially give a person cancer.

Last edited by Holland; 04-17-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,930
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Hey mods. We got a jackass....
Fman and Holland like this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 756
Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,456 Posts
View fauxlynn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Hey mods. We got a jackass....
Just one?
Fman and brooklynpainters like this.
Old Today, 09:31 AM   #14
Brooklyn Painters

Rewards Points: 24
View brooklynpainters's Photo Album My Photos

good insight. i personally don't mind the refinishing stuff. Good money
brooklynpainters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #15
Brooklyn Painters

Rewards Points: 24
View brooklynpainters's Photo Album My Photos

And to also add as far as pricing, i like to be more lenient on these kinds of jobs.
brooklynpainters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None