Washing paint rollers - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Green Painting Practices

Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
DanKyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
View DanKyle's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Hey gang,

I used to wrap up my rollers and take then home to wash out in my bathroom.

Recently I moved to a place on a septic system so I can't really do that anymore. Does anybody have any ideas on some kind of setup I could use at home to continue re using my rollers? Throwing on a new $5 roller to prime a few patches, then tossing it out, drives me insane.

I don't want to wash them in buckets and dump the wastewater on the ground since with repeated use that would be a real problem.

Is there a technique that could be used to separate then paint from wastewater?

Assume this is all acrylic paints.

Thanks!
DanKyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Pete Martin the Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 2,184
Rewards Points: 228
Thanks: 1,516
Thanked 820 Times in 460 Posts
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I stopped washing mine years ago. I use to think that it was good to do in order to save money. Then I thought about all of the time I was spending to clean them and all of the paint that I was washing down the drain...so I stopped doing it. I just charge the home owner for them, let them dry out and then toss them. Do not like the waste, but it is better than putting all that paint down the drain.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk
__________________
Ancora Imparo (I'm Still Learning)--Michelangelo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (02-06-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
DanKyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
View DanKyle's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Yes, I see your point. Financially it makes sense for me to wash rollers though, as I do a lot of small jobs (drywall repairs included) so I burn through them fast. Since I'm a one man band I have to keep my costs as low as possible otherwise homeowners would rather just hire a crew of guys for the same price as one guy.

Ultimately I'm hoping to stumble upon a way to wash out rollers in buckets, then separate the solids and dump the water on the ground.
RH and Chimpo like this.
DanKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Woodco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 2,823
Rewards Points: 5,646
Thanks: 21
Thanked 443 Times in 374 Posts
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I wash out all my stuff in my backyard. I dug a hole, and slapped a utitity sink on top of it.

I also have a big rubbermaid bin to let stuff like empty buckets dry out in before I throw them in the trash. I try to dump initial paint sludge water in there too, before I wash it out in my sink area. I have a bucket under the drain, that solids kind of drop to the bottom of, so I will pour off the top of that, then pour the sludge in my rubbermaid.

I guess you can minimize your impact by having a bunch of buckets in your backyard, and pour off the top half ,and deal with the sludge on the bottom later.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Kev D.
 
finishesbykevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 1,733
Rewards Points: 1,263
Thanks: 398
Thanked 236 Times in 204 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKyle View Post
Yes, I see your point. Financially it makes sense for me to wash rollers though, as I do a lot of small jobs (drywall repairs included) so I burn through them fast. Since I'm a one man band I have to keep my costs as low as possible otherwise homeowners would rather just hire a crew of guys for the same price as one guy.

Ultimately I'm hoping to stumble upon a way to wash out rollers in buckets, then separate the solids and dump the water on the ground.
It's still time vs money though. We're talking $4.00 for a sleeve. If your doing alot of priming for drywall repair, just wrap your roller and use it on the next job..Disposible products should be included in your hourly rate..
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
DanKyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
View DanKyle's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
I wash out all my stuff in my backyard. I dug a hole, and slapped a utitity sink on top of it
I was wondering if this kind of thing might be doable
DanKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
DanKyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
View DanKyle's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
It's still time vs money though. We're talking $4.00 for a sleeve. If your doing alot of priming for drywall repair, just wrap your roller and use it on the next job..Disposible products should be included in your hourly rate..

Not that I don't tag on some $$ for disposable and consumable supplies on my jobs, but if I don't have to use something for 2 min and toss it out I would prefer not to.
DanKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,822
Rewards Points: 1,482
Thanks: 54
Thanked 245 Times in 213 Posts
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Depending on where you live, the backyard solution can get you in big trouble. Some municipalities will treat it like an EPA Superfund site, even if you're a one man show. If running any sizable shop , definitely not a good idea!
Brushman4 and Holland like this.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightningboy65 For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 261
Rewards Points: 516
Thanks: 39
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I've been lucky enough to be working where they have a large utility sink so I can spin out the rollers. I don't mind because I feel I'm doing my part of keeping things out of the landfills. However what about the toxicity of the water? How bad is paint for the environment? The spot in my yard where I wash brushes and rollers in the summertime still grows grass. Can I use that as proof it's not terrible and rest easy?
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Woodco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 2,823
Rewards Points: 5,646
Thanks: 21
Thanked 443 Times in 374 Posts
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
I've been lucky enough to be working where they have a large utility sink so I can spin out the rollers. I don't mind because I feel I'm doing my part of keeping things out of the landfills. However what about the toxicity of the water? How bad is paint for the environment? The spot in my yard where I wash brushes and rollers in the summertime still grows grass. Can I use that as proof it's not terrible and rest easy?
Whether it goes in a backyard or down the drain, or wherever, its still there...

I wouldnt plant a garden on top of my paint hole, though. Very now and then, I take my shovel, and scoop some crap out of it and put in in my garbage.

There are ways to minimize it. Have a three bucket system, and dunk your roller in the first one, and scrape it with a 5 in 1 a few times, spin it into an empty, then dubnk in t another bucket, spin into the empty, till its pretty clean, then just hose it and spin it wherever. Dump the sludge in to a dedicated sludge drying place. Mine is a rubbermaid bin under some plywood.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,822
Rewards Points: 1,482
Thanks: 54
Thanked 245 Times in 213 Posts
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos
Default

This is a vexing question....it is many times said "the answer to pollution is dilution". No doubt paint is pollution. The question is, just how harmful is that pollution aspect of most modern day latex house paint. As Woodco said, the grass still grows!

So do we distribute the waste across the landscape in small amounts at various locations(job site disposal), concentrate those chemicals in a relatively small area on our own property, or send them into the municipal sewer system, to eventually end up in a landfill ?

I've done all, and in the end , probably the safest and best solution is to send the stuff down the municipal sewer. Closest thing to a system designed to properly handle such material. Now when you start talking about material more potent than standard latex coatings ....that's a different story.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,822
Rewards Points: 1,482
Thanks: 54
Thanked 245 Times in 213 Posts
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKyle View Post
Yes, I see your point. Financially it makes sense for me to wash rollers though, as I do a lot of small jobs (drywall repairs included) so I burn through them fast. Since I'm a one man band I have to keep my costs as low as possible otherwise homeowners would rather just hire a crew of guys for the same price as one guy.

Ultimately I'm hoping to stumble upon a way to wash out rollers in buckets, then separate the solids and dump the water on the ground.
I ran a pretty good sized small shop, and still at times found myself washing covers. Call it what it is, if your're cheap, you're cheap!!! And I am!!

For primer' Id just keep a wrapped roller in the truck and dispose of it when it starts to dry out. You should be able to get at least a month out of such roller. Load it up with primer before wrapping to avoid drying out. A wet roller will keep much longer.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:04 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
DanKyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
View DanKyle's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
This is a vexing question....it is many times said "the answer to pollution is dilution". No doubt paint is pollution. The question is, just how harmful is that pollution aspect of most modern day latex house paint. As Woodco said, the grass still grows!

So do we distribute the waste across the landscape in small amounts at various locations(job site disposal), concentrate those chemicals in a relatively small area on our own property, or send them into the municipal sewer system, to eventually end up in a landfill ?

I've done all, and in the end , probably the safest and best solution is to send the stuff down the municipal sewer. Closest thing to a system designed to properly handle such material. Now when you start talking about material more potent than standard latex coatings ....that's a different story.
H
I completely agree. So far it sounds like I'm better off tossing my rollers to avoid having a back yard full of buckets. I suppose it's time to say goodbye to my penny pinching ways. New rollers for every job!

Global warming is a myth anyways right? 🙃🙃
DanKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 117
Rewards Points: 234
Thanks: 5
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
View celicaxx's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Not withstanding paint down the drain (and with microfibers you could be dumping quite a lot) I've found just putting rollers in the washing machine with nothing else works fantastically. As long as you wrap them in time and don't leave them wrapped for too long, often they will come out 100% like brand new. Use a quarter cap or so of laundry detergent with them, too. It will not paint your washing machine, either.

It takes no time but taking the roller off the frame, plus (to be greener and not put as much paint down the drain) skimming off some paint with the five in one tool.

Sounds absolutely nuts, but it does work very well. By hand for things like 9/16" 9 or 18" microfibers to get them only about 80-90% as clean as the washing machine it takes about 20+ minutes per roller, and still uses a lot of water anyway.
celicaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:19 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
View AnthonyFalzon's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The backyard option is definitely a risky one.
AnthonyFalzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 693
Rewards Points: 1,388
Thanks: 15
Thanked 56 Times in 49 Posts
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyFalzon View Post
The backyard option is definitely a risky one.
i wonder where you'd rank putting rollers in the washing machine on your risky scale
Vylum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 589
Rewards Points: 1,140
Thanks: 135
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos
Default

-Bumping this thread-

I can think of no good reason to wash out a roller cover.

Find a source and buy in bulk, bring your single price down to acceptable levels, and charge the customer for what you use to get THEIR job done. Even if someone just loves cleaning out roller covers...why?

Stop wasting time, energy, clean water... and still ending up with a crusty cover.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 261
Rewards Points: 516
Thanks: 39
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
-Bumping this thread-

I can think of no good reason to wash out a roller cover.

Find a source and buy in bulk, bring your single price down to acceptable levels, and charge the customer for what you use to get THEIR job done. Even if someone just loves cleaning out roller covers...why?

Stop wasting time, energy, clean water... and still ending up with a crusty cover.
I'm on my 10th room and one cover for each roller. One for ceiling and one for walls. The wall cover is just starting the breakdown. No crusty cover. I use 5in1 to remove as much as I can into paint can to save. I hook up my drill to spinner and fill a 3 gallon with water. Spin in 3 gallon. Apply dish soap. Use drill spinner with hand to get soap into roller. The roller spins in your hand. Rinse well in 1st 3 gallon bucket. Dump and fill 2nd 3 gallon bucket and spin roller with hand in water. Do a few dry spins. Final 3rd bucket and it is good. Takes me less then 30 minutes to wash 2 rollers, 2 brushes, Pelican paint holder, roller tray. End of this job (10 rooms) I have only 2 5gallon buckets of paint trash. Minus the paint cans. Actually I could have crammed it in one.

It is NOT a waste of time, energy, and water. IMO. It is a matter of priorities.

BTW: Looking for a drill spinner for the small 4" rollers if anyone has made one please share.
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 589
Rewards Points: 1,140
Thanks: 135
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
I'm on my 10th room and one cover for each roller. One for ceiling and one for walls. The wall cover is just starting the breakdown. No crusty cover. I use 5in1 to remove as much as I can into paint can to save. I hook up my drill to spinner and fill a 3 gallon with water. Spin in 3 gallon. Apply dish soap. Use drill spinner with hand to get soap into roller. The roller spins in your hand. Rinse well in 1st 3 gallon bucket. Dump and fill 2nd 3 gallon bucket and spin roller with hand in water. Do a few dry spins. Final 3rd bucket and it is good. Takes me less then 30 minutes to wash 2 rollers, 2 brushes, Pelican paint holder, roller tray. End of this job (10 rooms) I have only 2 5gallon buckets of paint trash. Minus the paint cans. Actually I could have crammed it in one.

It is NOT a waste of time, energy, and water. IMO. It is a matter of priorities.

BTW: Looking for a drill spinner for the small 4" rollers if anyone has made one please share.
Big Rollers run a couple bucks each, and mini rollers come in at a cool $.63/ea. If you don't mind spending time cleaning, then go for it, but are you paying for your time, or is the client?

Last edited by Holland; 03-18-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,822
Rewards Points: 1,482
Thanks: 54
Thanked 245 Times in 213 Posts
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post

BTW: Looking for a drill spinner for the small 4" rollers if anyone has made one please share.
A wood dowel of the same diameter as the hole in the roller works. Available at any hardware store.
cardgunner and Holland like this.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com