"Disturbance" - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Lead Paint Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos
Default "Disturbance"

After living with the new lead laws in the field for a while now I am still encountering contractors (myself included) who have slightly different interpretations of some aspects of the new rules. I realize that you MUST be certified to do paint work in a pre '78 home, but all paint work in a pre '78 home is not going to necessarily need to be an RRP job. The exteriors are more obvious. An older home with wood siding that has paint failure that needs to be scraped and sanded is a no brainer. Many times though on the interiors it is not as obvious when it comes to strictly paint work. If there is an area twice as big as my van on the living room old plaster ceiling, peeling in sheets due to water damage, the choice is clear, but how are other guys handling repaints where you are basically only redecorating-changing colors and freshening up? I believe the best way to protect homeowners and workers from the lead is to NOT disturb it( that's what the law is about right?-protecting people). We have cut back on and changed some methods of prep from years ago to try to accomplish this. We no longer scuff sand doors and trim that is sound and in good condition older homes. If adhesion is a concern we apply bonding primers. I know there was a discussion in another thread about sanding down walls and sanding in-between coats. We have stopped doing any of this in older repaints unless there is some sort of paint failure. The HO has most likely lived with these walls for a while and accept them as they are. More than likely I was the guy who painted them last. They are only interested in a color change or update. It is silly in my opinion to turn this job into a RRP job by starting to sand down these walls and run the risk of creating lead dust-which still is far from likely because the lead is 6 coats back and we are not sanding through the last coat that was applied within the last ten years. What about wallcovering removal where the walls underneath are prepared properly and in sound condition? The paper is being removed with no disturbance to the wall underneath. The primed walls are washed, again with no "disturbance". Is this an RRP job just because it is in a pre '78 home? We have always protected the customer's belongings and cleaned up meticulously anyway. Different guys I talk to are interpreting these things differently after taking the same class. Remember there is still the 6 sq. ft. and 20 sq. ft. rule as well. I know some guys are paranoid about not getting in trouble, and to some extent that is good. The EPA defines "disturbance" as prep work prior to painting that involves scraping and sanding that creates dust. Just curious how some of the gang here are interpreting some of these things out in the field in the real world.
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

My interpretation:

If the rule is in the book, follow it.

It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what the EPA and its enforcement arm thinks. Do you really think you will win going up against them?

So it really becomes a matter of choosing to cya or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Cliff,

Although I agree with you about "disturbing", do not think for a minute that what I say, or anyone else on this forum, will keep the EPA goons off your back.

Now, that said, one of my painting buddies is notorious for just going into a home and painting over the existing woodwork. NO sanding. NO washing. Which in his opinion is not disturbing the existing surfaces. But the results look like SH!T ! Also, he has bonding issues.

IMO, slap dash is NOT what professional painters do. A professional is hired to know how to do the job correctly and to do it. Painting over lumps, bumps, dust, grit, and unfeathered edges is NOT right. And we all know that a pre-78 home is going to NEED sanding to smooth out past sins and deterioration of the existing surface.

And personally, I would not want my name on such a slap dash job.

Now as far as wallpaper removal. That is definitely a gray area. I've had many a removal where I know I have not disturbed the underlaying surface, yet I doubt the enforcement agencies would see it my way. I have advised HO's to have the painters strip because the rest of the room would fall under RRP rules and it would be more cost effective to do all RRP work at the same time.

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 03-06-2011 at 09:03 AM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

I'll be certified this month, only because I know that I'll need it, not because my target market is in restoration..... def not.

Also, from what I've read, the enforcing arm of the EPA concerning RRP misconduct is going to do very little unless "informed" of a violation. They'll need a nation full of tattletail painters and I just don't see that happening.
Different Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 258
View Dean CRCNA's Photo Album My Photos

Best definition of “disturb” I can find is from HUD's LSHR

Painted surface to be disturbed means a paint surface that is to be scraped,
sanded, cut, penetrated or otherwise affected by renovation work in a manner
that could potentially create a lead-based paint hazard by generating dust, fumes, or paint chips.

Note: I changed rehabilitation to renovation. To HUD rehabilitation means renovation.

If you know or are unsure if you will be disturbing ... RRP applies. To me, removing wallpaper is an unsure.

If your customer wants a slap & dash interior job, then many times you don't have to do RRP. If your customer understands a quality job and is willing to pay for a quality job, then RRP is going to apply more often.

On a exterior paint, you almost always will have to follow RRP, unless you can get a lead inspector to just check the exterior and clear it.

With the enactment of RRP, your sales approach has just gotten more difficult. You may not even mention RRP on jobs, where you aren't disturbing. If you do mention RRP ... how you talk about it depends on ...

1. Children in the home.
2. Wife thinking about having another baby.
3. Older adults living in the home.
4. Slap & Dash job or Quality job.
5. and more

Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
My interpretation:

If the rule is in the book, follow it.

It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what the EPA and its enforcement arm thinks. Do you really think you will win going up against them?

So it really becomes a matter of choosing to cya or not.
The opt out provision is in my book. It's the gray areas and interpretation on disturbance that I am referring to.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Strokes View Post
I'll be certified this month, only because I know that I'll need it, not because my target market is in restoration..... def not.

Also, from what I've read, the enforcing arm of the EPA concerning RRP misconduct is going to do very little unless "informed" of a violation. They'll need a nation full of tattletail painters and I just don't see that happening.
Most likely the case. I think the enforcement( and revenue creating fines) will come from audits of certified firms records. I think you actually have a better chance of being fined if you are certified than if you are not, unfortunately.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffK View Post
The opt out provision is in my book. It's the gray areas and interpretation on disturbance that I am referring to.

You have an out dated book. Opt out is out. It was out when I took the course in April of 2010.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Bill is right, the cover should have a lot of pink on it.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
RCP

Dean explained it well.

Here is the link from the register

Quote:
Renovation means the modification of any existing structure, or portion thereof, that results in the disturbance of painted surfaces, unless that activity is performed as part of an abatement as defined by this part (40 CFR 745.223). The term renovation includes (but is not limited to): The removal, modification or repair of painted surfaces or painted components (e.g., modification of painted doors, surface restoration, window repair, surface preparation activity (such as sanding, scraping, or other such activities that may generate paint dust)); the removal of building components (e.g., walls, ceilings, plumbing, windows); weatherization projects (e.g., cutting holes in painted surfaces to install blown-in insulation or to gain access to attics, planing thresholds to install weather-stripping), and interim controls that disturb painted surfaces. A renovation performed for the purpose of converting a building, or part of a building, into target housing or a child-occupied facility is a renovation under this subpart. The term renovation does not include minor repair and maintenance activities.
And from the FAQ in the EPA site

The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
CliffK (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean CRCNA View Post
Best definition of “disturb” I can find is from HUD's LSHR

Painted surface to be disturbed means a paint surface that is to be scraped,
sanded, cut, penetrated or otherwise affected by renovation work in a manner
that could potentially create a lead-based paint hazard by generating dust, fumes, or paint chips.

Note: I changed rehabilitation to renovation. To HUD rehabilitation means renovation.

If you know or are unsure if you will be disturbing ... RRP applies. To me, removing wallpaper is an unsure.

If your customer wants a slap & dash interior job, then many times you don't have to do RRP. If your customer understands a quality job and is willing to pay for a quality job, then RRP is going to apply more often.

On a exterior paint, you almost always will have to follow RRP, unless you can get a lead inspector to just check the exterior and clear it.

With the enactment of RRP, your sales approach has just gotten more difficult. You may not even mention RRP on jobs, where you aren't disturbing. If you do mention RRP ... how you talk about it depends on ...

1. Children in the home.
2. Wife thinking about having another baby.
3. Older adults living in the home.
4. Slap & Dash job or Quality job.
5. and more
Thanks Dean, great information as usual. For interior painting, in an instance where the customer is interested in what you describe as "slap & dash", where there is no failing paint and no expected disturbance, is it still necessary to give them the brochure and document that you have done so? If so, how do you handle the record keeping beyond that point once you have the signed paper that they received the brochure and there is no actual RRP work involved? In that type of situation is the protocol of the brochure still necessary if you know you will not be "disturbing" from the initial meeting and walk thru as long as you discuss the options with the homeowner.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
You have an out dated book. Opt out is out. It was out when I took the course in April of 2010.
I realize that. I was one of the first guys to get certified in my area and things have changed since. It's funny because I took the course spring of 2010 and the instructor was still teaching the opt-out. I learned shortly after that is was gone. I guess nobody told the company that was offering the class that I took! I paid good money to be taught obsolete rules. We all left with the paperwork for the opt-out.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffK For This Useful Post:
daArch (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
I realize that. I was one of the first guys to get certified in my area and things have changed since. It's funny because I took the course spring of 2010 and the instructor was still teaching the opt-out. I learned shortly after that is was gone. I guess nobody told the company that was offering the class that I took! I paid good money to be taught obsolete rules. We all left with the paperwork for the opt-out.

There was a period of time when conflicts and confusion were rampant.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
RCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
There was a period of time when conflicts and confusion were rampant.
Still is! With many states adopting the rule, the game keeps changing! My state still has the opt out, but plans to remove it thru legislative steps, which can drag on.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 693
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,181 Posts
View Steve Richards's Photo Album My Photos

I still have the old books too.

I need to print out the change from the EPA's site and attach them (rather than buy new books)

I just need to find some free time.

*moving on to next thread*
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 258
View Dean CRCNA's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks Dean, great information as usual. For interior painting, in an instance where the customer is interested in what you describe as "slap & dash", where there is no failing paint and no expected disturbance, is it still necessary to give them the brochure and document that you have done so? If so, how do you handle the record keeping beyond that point once you have the signed paper that they received the brochure and there is no actual RRP work involved? In that type of situation is the protocol of the brochure still necessary if you know you will not be "disturbing" from the initial meeting and walk thru as long as you discuss the options with the homeowner.
If the customer wants just walls re-coated (slap & dash) and any failing paint (or imperfections) under 6 sq ft per room ... I do not even bring up RRP. No pamphlet. No additional cost.

If trim is going to be painted in the above scenario and no sanding is going to take place (like using a bonding primer) ... still no RRP is brought up and no pamphlet.

I do make personal notes though reflecting why no RRP was required.

The reason no RRP and no pamphlet is needed is because you are not doing a renovation in the eyes of the EPA.

Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean CRCNA For This Useful Post:
Bender (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Still is! With many states adopting the rule, the game keeps changing! My state still has the opt out, but plans to remove it thru legislative steps, which can drag on.
Interesting. I didn't realize it was individual states that determined the opt-out. I thought is was the EPA and it was a federal rule.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean CRCNA View Post
If the customer wants just walls re-coated (slap & dash) and any failing paint (or imperfections) under 6 sq ft per room ... I do not even bring up RRP. No pamphlet. No additional cost.

If trim is going to be painted in the above scenario and no sanding is going to take place (like using a bonding primer) ... still no RRP is brought up and no pamphlet.

I do make personal notes though reflecting why no RRP was required.

The reason no RRP and no pamphlet is needed is because you are not doing a renovation in the eyes of the EPA.
Many many thanks for all the input Dean-you are a valuable resource
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 693
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,181 Posts
View Steve Richards's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
and the instructor was still teaching the opt-out. I learned shortly after that is was gone. I guess nobody told the company that was offering the class that I took! I paid good money to be taught obsolete rules. We all left with the paperwork for the opt-out.
One of the instructors in my class said:

"..if you touch the wall with a paint brush, you've disturbed it"

(That's an exact quote...burned instantly into my brain because I knew she was mistaken)

My instructors also REFUSED to talk about power washing.
They both said we should already know about collecting wash water rules.

Maybe so, but I'd never attempted to do so... and I still think it sounds kinda ridiculous.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
RCP

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't realize it was individual states that determined the opt-out. I thought is was the EPA and it was a federal rule.
It is kind of weird, it's not that they want it, but when they adopted the EPA rule and it was approved by the state, the opt out was in. So it takes a legislative change to remove it. States cannot be below the EPA Standard, it is really just a temporary loophole.

Last edited by RCP; 03-06-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Tags
None