new paint in old house - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Lead Paint Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DeanV
  • 4 Post By Woodco

Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 338
View eews's Photo Album My Photos
Default new paint in old house

so I called the EPA to get an answer, but i feel I just got the run-around. Situation is thus: brand new mahogany french windows and transoms- just installed- came in with oil primer on by mistake. Client wants me to strip and wood finish just the sashes( mullions and muntins). will not touch any other surface; residence is pre-78.
So the question is do I need to follow RRP? I know I can do a lead test- show it clear- and then proceed, but it seems like such a waste when a brand new window should not have any lead paint on it.
Any one care to comment?
Thanks.
eews is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I would just do the test.

Read these.

Question 1

Question 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Cover your butt and do the test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
VanDamme (08-05-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 24
Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,806 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

In regard to RCP's link "Question 2". This is just plain and simple utter foolishness. If new siding is over old siding that may have lead on it, how in the world are we even supposed to know this? We cannot test the old siding and may not even know it is there. This just gets more ridiculous as time goes on.
Brushman4 likes this.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

I personally would not worry about it. As long as you are not touching any surfaces that have lead paint,which you are not,you are fine. Never mind RRP, I wouldn't take that job anyway....How in the world are you going to get that primer out of the grain to do a decent stain job.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-16-2019)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
In regard to RCP's link "Question 2". This is just plain and simple utter foolishness. If new siding is over old siding that may have lead on it, how in the world are we even supposed to know this? We cannot test the old siding and may not even know it is there. This just gets more ridiculous as time goes on.
*I think* that it just means on any pre 78 house, you have to follow the rule, all you have to do is test the new siding, it will show no lead and you carry on.
Otherwise someone has to make a judgement call, "well the house was built in 1946, but it was sided sometime, so we don't have to follow the rule, even if the window casing, trim, etc is still the original.

All it means is you have to follow RRP, which means having a Certified Renovater make that decision.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 258
View Dean CRCNA's Photo Album My Photos

I use to read the rule as "if a painted or coating was going to be disturbed" you had to do RRP (except for some of the exceptions).

However, the rule actually reads that any all all work done on a 1978 must be done by a Lead Safe Certified Firm (except where an exception occurs).

One of the exceptions would be "if a certified renovator or lead inspector/assessor proves no lead based paint".

So, if you personally installed a brand new door and then came back in a couple of weeks to paint it a different color ... you would either need to prove no lead based paint or do RRP.

Silly ... I know.

On the other hand, what if the homeowner told you that they replaced the door on Jan 1, 1978?

Guess the EPA has to draw some lines somewhere.

Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2
View premend01's Photo Album My Photos

You should erase the old color from your wall and then paint a new color. You have to do hard work for it, but if you do not do this later after some time, it peeled off. You have also used color protector before applying the new paint.
premend01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,186
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by premend01 View Post
you should erase the old color from your wall and then paint a new color. You have to do hard work for it, but if you do not do this later after some time, it peeled off. You have also used color protector before applying the new paint.
wtf??
CApainter, gamby, mukhoeb and 1 others like this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None