Peel Away 1 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Lead Paint Discussion

Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 185
View Shakey0818's Photo Album My Photos
Default Peel Away 1

A month ago I put some Peel Away on 2 real old doors with multiple layers of lead paint.I Put on the Peel Away on with the supplied paper.I ran out of paper and used plastic on a few doors.I was working in a 3 sided shop during the NE summer.The customer decided to wait on having me finish the doors so i just left it as is.Now the want them stripped.I went out and checked out the doors and some of the Peel Away paper was stuck on the door.I did manage to scrape all the paint off with a little elbow grease.There seems like there isn't much equalizer to do all 3 doors.I was going to wash the doors with a scrub brush.
A few questions i do have sense its been a very long time sense using Peel Away.
1)Can i wash them then use vinegar to neutralize and then re wash and let dry?
2)What type of primer is best.I was going to use oil followed by 2 coats of Int. Duration.I did read somewhere that latex primer helps with the PH.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to go about this then i am all ears.
TY,Rob.
Shakey0818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2015, 01:14 AM   #3
Troy

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

If the product you're using is Peel Away 1, I'm assuming the neutralizer is Citri-Lize? Are you mixing the neutralizer with water as per manufacturer's recommendations? I honestly don't know the pH of Citri-Lize, but I'm just guessing it's maybe in the 2-5 range. Vinegar is also in this range, so it might work fine, but I've never personally tried it as a substitute for Citri-Lize. You could try with a less acidic vinegar like apple cider, test the pH, and if you're still above 8, you could try distilled white vinegar. I would imagine there's many ways to get the wood back to the safe-zone, (5-8). Just make sure you test and confirm it's safe before priming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

You are likely going to have to neutralize these doors more than once. If the Peel Away has been on as long as you said then the wood has likely become very alkaline. Use the pH paper that comes with the Citrilize to test between washes. Vinegar should work too. The original neutralizer that Dummond sold was Acetic Acid which is essentially the business end of vinegar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #5

Ty guys

Tags
None