Clear 4 Faux wood grain garage door - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Decorative Finishes

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By four2knapp
  • 1 Post By four2knapp

Old 04-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 59
View four2knapp's Photo Album My Photos
Default Clear 4 Faux wood grain garage door

I have a faux wood grain garage and front door project coming up. Anyone have a good experience with both the colorants and the clearcoat?

Right now I am leaning towards Faux Effects FauxCreme colors in Aquaglaze for the graining. Isolation layer of Aquaguard UV then maybe C500?

I've used all these products-just not on anything exterior.
four2knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 190
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,479 Posts
View fauxlynn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by four2knapp View Post
I have a faux wood grain garage and front door project coming up. Anyone have a good experience with both the colorants and the clearcoat?

Right now I am leaning towards Faux Effects FauxCreme colors in Aquaglaze for the graining. Isolation layer of Aquaguard UV then maybe C500?

I've used all these products-just not on anything exterior.
I wish I could offer an opinion, but I've never used FFX colorants outside of a classroom situation. I've heard great things about C500,but again,I haven't used it.
Did you try asking over at FauxForum? I'm sure Anita has used these products extensively.
four2knapp (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

[QUOTE=fauxlynn;1175282]I wish I could offer an opinion, but I've never used FFX colorants outside of a classroom situation. I've heard great things about C500,but again,I haven't used it.
Did you try asking over at FauxForum? I'm sure Anita has used these products extensively.[/QUOTE

Yes, I did. No replies, yet.

Or if anyone has had success with any exterior clear for a wood graining garage door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=four2knapp;1175338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxlynn View Post
I wish I could offer an opinion, but I've never used FFX colorants outside of a classroom situation. I've heard great things about C500,but again,I haven't used it.
Did you try asking over at FauxForum? I'm sure Anita has used these products extensively.[/QUOTE

Yes, I did. No replies, yet.

Or if anyone has had success with any exterior clear for a wood graining garage door.
For clears I've had good success with floods cwf clear, but I put that directly over wood.
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to journeymanPainter For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (04-17-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Any spar urethane type product should work. Just avoid the oils as they tend to yellow. If you have to use them, get a good quality one.

Man-o-war is nice because it's both water and oil (able to get both).

The reason you need a good flexible coating isn't necessarily just for the exterior conditions. The other reason is that the garage door had a lot of movement going up and down and vibrates a lot more than most people think about.

I used an exterior product that didn't have that much flexibility and learned that you get a lot of tiny cracking (almost like crackle). It was very very small and can't notice it hardly unless you are about a foot or less away from the door.

Just a fyi* from one of my lessons learned. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (04-18-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Just completed the faux wood graining on the garage door and front door. After much research, I decided to basecoat SW Ext. Superpaint in satin. Then used 2 different SW colors (again ext. Superpaint) mixed with a little Faux Effects Aquaglaze and then water to make a runny glaze mix. Took me 2 days to faux grain both doors. Rain is expected for the next 7 days. Once clear skies and warmer, I plan on clear coating with Modern Masters Master Supreme Clear in satin.

Clear 4 Faux wood grain garage door-image-1171935659.jpg

Clear 4 Faux wood grain garage door-image-2578551209.jpg
Fitzy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to four2knapp For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 310
View michael tust's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by four2knapp
Just completed the faux wood graining on the garage door and front door. After much research, I decided to basecoat SW Ext. Superpaint in satin. Then used 2 different SW colors (again ext. Superpaint) mixed with a little Faux Effects Aquaglaze and then water to make a runny glaze mix. Took me 2 days to faux grain both doors. Rain is expected for the next 7 days. Once clear skies and warmer, I plan on clear coating with Modern Masters Master Supreme Clear in satin.
Good Job,
Pictures a bit Hard to see, but it looks like you've got some lights and darks going on. ( half my pictures never turn out ) Two days to complete ... One layer ?
Modern Masters Supreme Clear..... Good Choice !

Michael Tust
michael tust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to michael tust For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael tust
( half my pictures never turn out ) Two days to complete ... One layer ?
I'm no photographer! The garage door is 2 layers of glazes with a brush. The front door has one layer of (pretty basic) a graining tool, flogger, and a little badger brushing. Then 2 more glaze layers.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

I second the Modern Masters Supreme Clear choice. I sold some to a guy who coated a copper metallic on a church steeple once. 10 years on from the ground it still looks great.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman
I second the Modern Masters Supreme Clear choice. I sold some to a guy who coated a copper metallic on a church steeple once. 10 years on from the ground it still looks great.
I'm hoping it lasts!!!! Was it in a colder climate? I talked with the MM rep and he said do not let the snow pile up against it. Kind of hard NOT to do here in WI.

Talked with General Finishes rep about their water based ext 450 clear and they could/would not comment about it going over a painted finish. And also, do not let snow pile up against it.

I started a test field (east side of my house- been throwing in the freezer every so often) of stained, painted, distressed and painted & glazed 2x2x6" with the clear coats mentioned. Waiting for a 3rd one from Zar.
Fitzy likes this.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by four2knapp View Post
I'm hoping it lasts!!!! Was it in a colder climate? I talked with the MM rep and he said do not let the snow pile up against it. Kind of hard NOT to do here in WI.

Talked with General Finishes rep about their water based ext 450 clear and they could/would not comment about it going over a painted finish. And also, do not let snow pile up against it.

I started a test field (east side of my house- been throwing in the freezer every so often) of stained, painted, distressed and painted & glazed 2x2x6" with the clear coats mentioned. Waiting for a 3rd one from Zar.
It was on a church steeple in Columbus Ohio, so it is a cold climate but not like Wisconsin cold! But you really don't want snow piling up against any clear coat for too long anyway. But from my experience selling it, it is a pretty good exterior clear. My belief is that UV exposure is the worst thing for exterior clears and not moisture or rain. Excluding acid rain which I don't believe is as much of a problem in Wisconsin as it is here.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 310
View michael tust's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by four2knapp
I'm no photographer! The garage door is 2 layers of glazes with a brush. The front door has one layer of (pretty basic) a graining tool, flogger, and a little badger brushing. Then 2 more glaze layers.
Oh,
That's a lot of Graining in Two Days... I've looked at about 5 Garage Doors or so to Grain,but have Never Grained A Garage Door. (Yet). I'm Definitely No Photographer Either, but it makes for a More Impressive Portfolio . Looking back at my older work I can see the improvement over the years.

Michael Tust
michael tust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to michael tust For This Useful Post:
four2knapp (05-24-2016)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #13

View Wareaglerebel's Photo Album My Photos

Did you use an airless sprayer to apply clear?
Wareaglerebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None