How do I make new paint job look like old plaster? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Decorative Finishes

Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154
View The Painter Guy's Photo Album My Photos
Default How do I make new paint job look like old plaster?

Customer would like to see painted finish resemble old plaster, any suggestions please.
Thanks
Jim
The Painter Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View HomeGuardPaints's Photo Album My Photos

Venitian Plaster can be applied sorta like paint, its tinted and then spread on. Lot of work though
HomeGuardPaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View AuntieJan's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Painter Guy View Post
Customer would like to see painted finish resemble old plaster, any suggestions please.
Thanks
Jim

There's several ways to do it with faux finishes, the stuff SW is selling now looks fairly easy to use, I've not used it to do tuscan/plaster look yet but you might visit their site and see if it's something that would help. They have a new product line out I think it's called armor faux or something like that. I've done it the traditional way and it's pretty time consuming.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...nting_process/

Good luck!
AuntieJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Depends on what they mean by looking like old plaster

You can get a modern acrylic faux (latex base coat/latex glaze coat) to look pretty much like that with the proper technique

Your gonna need a little practice if you've never done it though...lol

Check the Ben Moore Website for their faux stuff
I'n sure they've got some how toos and whatitlookslike over there

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

We have done a light fog coat over a lighter solid color, You need to practice on a couple of walls.
We also have done a old white wash look over solid color before. You thin your material down spray fog on and at some but not all corners and edges you let it run down to give it that weathered look. We have also done raging giving it a old world look.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75
View Dmax Consulting's Photo Album My Photos

The venetian plaster doesn't look like plaster when it is done. It is smooth and shiny, like marble. I have seen faux artists use thinned down drywall mud to create some amazing effects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dmax Consulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 154
View The Painter Guy's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the tips, so far the white wash seems to be the answer but checking all your suggestions.I appreciate your replies.
Jim
The Painter Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None