White Washing Rough Cut Ceiling - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Decorative Finishes

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 2 Post By PPD

Old 09-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View OKPainter505's Photo Album My Photos

Customer wants a custom color "white wash" effect on the ceiling. Ceiling consists of very rough cut dark pine (almost oak colored) slats across equally dark vegas. The color is a typical off white. I'm assuming very white base color. Expected to have very little wood showing too. Almost like a heavy pickling effect.

My game plan is to use higher end paint than normal whitewashing calls for to help cover the dark color of the wood. Plus extra pigment to fill in the grains some. Most likely using something like a flat Duration from SW. I've never dealt with such rough cut wood, but I do know to wipe across the grain instead of with it. I plan on spraying the paint as well because it's a high ceiling and time is a major factor. Sprayer is already out for trim and walls anyways. Plus I plan on spanning a 2x12" across ladders. So i could make easy runs. No risk of dropping a pint of paint either. The customer wants heavy coverage, so the paint shouldnt be too thin to spray.

Any suggestions? Or am I missing anything? I hate the idea of not priming pine, but I think it will add to the pickling/white wash look I'm going for. I'm also concerned with the dry climate I'm in that spraying in may cause me to have VERY limited time to wipe the wood back. Almost 30 minutes dry to touch on moderate thickness of spray with Duration. Am I over thinking it? The color of the ceiling is the same as the walls. So a custom color must be used.

Now that the picture of the end result is added, what do you guys think about a heavy white coat with a glazing to bring back the wood look? Would like recommendations on glaze if this idea would work better. I need to preserve the original color though since it is the same as the walls.

Really appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
White Washing Rough Cut Ceiling-img_0928_1569299106420.jpg  

Last edited by OKPainter505; 09-24-2019 at 02:08 AM..
OKPainter505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,384
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Mix 3:1 Benite and a penetrating pickling stain like old masters 2 or more coats. Additional coats will leave a surface film with a low lustre sheen. Would be messy to apply on a ceiling though

Other than that I would maybe just try a semisolid stain
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #3
PPD
Girl Boss

Rewards Points: 86
View PPD's Photo Album My Photos

Am I understanding correctly that you've already completed the original posting request of whitewashing the ceiling & that's the photo posted?

I think it looks great! Not sure why a stain would be needed, I can still see the wood tones coming through providing a shaded appearance to the white. Is the HO not happy with the way it looks in the image?
CApainter and Brushman4 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfectly Painted Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Diego, CA
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,438
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
Am I understanding correctly that you've already completed the original posting request of whitewashing the ceiling & that's the photo posted?

I think it looks great! Not sure why a stain would be needed, I can still see the wood tones coming through providing a shaded appearance to the white. Is the HO not happy with the way it looks in the image?
The picture was posted on the same day as the original post (roughly 45 min. later). So I too am confused why anything other than a low sheen clear protective finish would be added, at best.

I think it looks great as it is!

Last edited by CApainter; Today at 12:10 PM..
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None