38, Austin, TX - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View jwilks75's Photo Album My Photos
Default 38, Austin, TX

Hello from Austin, TX where I live! From Rolla, MO and I own Wilks Construction and we do custom carpentry, paint, and remodel work here in the central Texas area. Learned to paint when I was 19 from an old hard ass east coast ex-union painter. Correction I learned to fill, sand, caulk, and mask for the first year before I was allowed to hold a brush I'm a firm believer that "quality doesn't cost it pays", "inspect what you expect", and "there's more than one way to skin a cat, but only a handful of those ways are correct".
jwilks75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Cincinnati, Ohio.
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Northern MA
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
King Dude

Thanked 5,028 Times in 2,855 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from South Carolina!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
RH (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 10,112
Thanked 15,342 Times in 8,033 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group!

Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. Lived in Austin for 20+ years. Great city.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

Thanks for the welcome. Lambrecht when was the last time you were in Austin? It is a great city and growing like crazy. Good for work, bad for traffic!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT.

I have been looking at real estate in Austin and have been considering a move to Texas for a few years. The older I get, the less tolerant I have become to cold weather. Its also getting old taking my weekly salary year round with very little income to replace that money from December til March.

How is pricing down there? What's the area's best school district?

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Lambrecht Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilks75 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Lambrecht when was the last time you were in Austin? It is a great city and growing like crazy. Good for work, bad for traffic!
Been gone for abut 10 years.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Lambrecht Painting

[QUOTE=PressurePros;464106]Welcome to PT.

I have been looking at real estate in Austin and have been considering a move to Texas for a few years. The older I get, the less tolerant I have become to cold weather. Its also getting old taking my weekly salary year round with very little income to replace that money from December til March.

How is pricing down there? What's the area's best school district?[/QUO

Ken you would kick butt is Austin year round. I lived on the west side and loved it. South side is more down to earth people. East side you don't want to go there at night. North side is a bunch of uptight azzholes. West side and south side is where you want to be.
PressurePros (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 204
View harmonicarocks's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, from Virginia.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
Time Traveler

Thanked 1,522 Times in 779 Posts
View Underdog's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome... I've been to Austin... on my way to and from SAN ANTONIO!!

GO SPURS

Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #13

Lambrecht you wouldn't believe how much Austin has changed. I moved here almost 9 years ago when it was 21st largest city in the nation and now there reporting that we will soon break the top 10 list for biggest cities. The East side is actually up and coming and people have been tearing down and building brand new homes along with a lot of flippers redoing homes. This has pushed up taxes and continues to drive the riff-raff out and have made some pretty cool pockets over there. The East side still has a ways to go along with the schools still lacking. I'm definitely a fan off the South and West sides of town and live South myself, much more of the original Austin vibe.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwilks75 For This Useful Post:
Lambrecht (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #14

Pressure Pros I would definitely recommend Austin as a place to move a business. It along with several surrounding cities are on the fastest growth list in the nation and it's one of the most expensive places to live in Texas along with the tech industry hear, there's a lot of money. Prices are pretty much all over and I contribute that too several factors: one being people are moving here from all over the country especially from Cali and New York and are used to prices from where they moved from, second is the illegals and fly by nights who undercut everyone. If you keep your business targeted at the people who can and are willing to pay for quality you don't have to worry about those guys. From you name I assume you mainly do pressure washing and with that I'm sure a lot of business is scheduled repeat contracts which with the amount of businesses opening hear you would not have a problem with some leg work drumming up a good amount of clients. If you need a good Realtor I have one, he's a real go-getter. Let me know if you have any other questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwilks75 For This Useful Post:
PressurePros (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #15

Oh and I would say the quality of competition is lacking big time down here. I've never seen so many people calling themselves painters that have no clue. I would say that most of these painters couldn't paint a smooth wall properly to save their lives, they're lucky there's so much texture down here. Labor is easy to come by, but be prepared to retrain most of the people you hire.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Pressure Pros I would definitely recommend Austin as a place to move a business. It along with several surrounding cities are on the fastest growth list in the nation and it's one of the most expensive places to live in Texas along with the tech industry hear, there's a lot of money. Prices are pretty much all over and I contribute that too several factors: one being people are moving here from all over the country especially from Cali and New York and are used to prices from where they moved from, second is the illegals and fly by nights who undercut everyone. If you keep your business targeted at the people who can and are willing to pay for quality you don't have to worry about those guys. From you name I assume you mainly do pressure washing and with that I'm sure a lot of business is scheduled repeat contracts which with the amount of businesses opening hear you would not have a problem with some leg work drumming up a good amount of clients. If you need a good Realtor I have one, he's a real go-getter. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Excellent, thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I've seen the prices of real estate creep up in Austin over the last few years but still a much better value than the high prices up here. My wife is onboard but she has made it conditional with her mother and my niece coming with us. My wife's sister passed and my MIL (and we) raise her daughter so its a package deal. That and selling off my businesses up here are hurdles. I would be looking seriously around mid-July but I would definitely appreciate the name of the realtor.

My only remaining question would be schools since that is how I base my decision where to buy a property.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Lambrecht Painting

Ken,
Look into the city of Westlake. It is pretty much surrounded by Austin now but is a good school district and is not part of the Austin school system.
PressurePros (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #18

Your talking serious cash to be in Westlake, I doubt you'll find anything under 500k unless you like condos. I'm wanting to move a little west of Austin about 20 minutes to Dripping Springs, good schools and hill country views.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
Lambrecht Painting

Went to school there. Population was 608 when I lived there. It has definitely grown since then.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Your talking serious cash to be in Westlake, I doubt you'll find anything under 500k unless you like condos. I'm wanting to move a little west of Austin about 20 minutes to Dripping Springs, good schools and hill country views.
You're not kidding. I don't want a mortgage and the cheapest house on the market right now is $1.1M and they jump pretty quick to $5M+ That's outta my tax bracket. http://www.finddfwareahomes.com/sear...by=lowestprice

$500K would be the absolute top end of my budget without having to take on a payment which isn't happening. So let me rephrase.. the best schools for my budget?

Last edited by PressurePros; 01-15-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Tags
None