#askapainter - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By askapainter
  • 1 Post By getrex
  • 1 Post By chrisn
  • 1 Post By ridesarize
  • 1 Post By getrex
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By getrex
  • 1 Post By Schmidt & Co.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Host: Ask a Painter Live

Rewards Points: 8
View askapainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default #askapainter

I host a weekly live show on FB called #askapainter Live. Its a forum for pro's and homeowners to ask questions and get answers. I go live from one of my job sites each Friday at noon and do demonstrations, take an in depth look at coating science and talk entrepreneurship, apprenticeship and contracting basics. I'd love to get your questions and comments during the show! Here's a link to my FB page (where the live feed originates and is archived).

www.facebook.com/nick.slavik.92

I have 65 episodes archived. To find them, us the hashtag #askapainter on FB, Instagram, youtube and Twitter. I'll look forward to interacting with you fellow business owners.
Attached Thumbnails
#askapainter-aap-pdca-logo-large.jpg  

ridesarize likes this.
askapainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 14
View getrex's Photo Album My Photos

Will check it out. Can't be worse than the Idaho painter.
ligboozer likes this.
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by getrex View Post
Will check it out. Can't be worse than the Idaho painter.

well, maybe
slinger58 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,450
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by askapainter View Post
I host a weekly live show on FB called #askapainter Live. Its a forum for pro's and homeowners to ask questions and get answers. I go live from one of my job sites each Friday at noon and do demonstrations, take an in depth look at coating science and talk entrepreneurship, apprenticeship and contracting basics. I'd love to get your questions and comments during the show! Here's a link to my FB page (where the live feed originates and is archived).

www.facebook.com/nick.slavik.92

I have 65 episodes archived. To find them, us the hashtag #askapainter on FB, Instagram, youtube and Twitter. I'll look forward to interacting with you fellow business owners.
Howdy Nick. I was wondering if you were a member on here yet. This forum has been a great resource for professionals to learn both new and old techniques, products, and brings people from many aspects of the trade together to share info and inspire each other to be better and do good work.

There have been so many awesome members that gave pertinent wonderful info to us, and entertained us all through the years.

Glad to see you swing through. - XC Painter
askapainter likes this.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
Anonymous Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
well, maybe

I'm trying to be nice here! ;P
chrisn likes this.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,966
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Nick,

Do you find it difficult to offer sound painting advice and recommendations given the inconsistencies in this industry, in terms of application, access, materials, and qualifications?

In other words, without accountable skill qualifications and the "Best Practices" oversight afforded to practically all of the other trades, by way of permits and building codes, painting seems to thrive within a wide range of acceptability. Which, is often driven by speed and personal standards, or preferences rather than industry standards.

After all, the painting product just needs to have that last finish coat look good long enough to be accepted by the homeowner, rather than actually having to prove that it works. Unlike framing, wiring, or plumbing, where official inspection of the installations typically indicate that set standards were followed and the application will work.

Last edited by CApainter; 09-19-2017 at 04:28 PM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #7

XC Painter

If memory serves, I was a member here years and years ago. Probably deleted my account due to inactivity. But I look through the articles and post frequently. I love the perspective from other professionals.

Last edited by askapainter; 09-26-2017 at 06:33 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #8

CA Painter:

I struggle with this as well. But here's how I counter that: When coming up with a system for enameling S & V or Lacquered cabinets I contacted coating manufacturers and spoke to as many chemists and lab people as possible. By learning what the molecules of oil primer, hybrid topcoats, lacquer and water based coatings look like, I was able to (as scientifically as possible) find out why some coatings work better than others. So I try to collect as much objective information as possible and combine it with what I 'feel' in the field to come up with the closest thing to a 'solution' as possible. Now having said that, availability of materials, opposition to progression and the fact that a lot of painters aren't painters by choice limit the effectiveness of that information.
The Following User Says Thank You to askapainter For This Useful Post:
CApainter (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,966
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by askapainter View Post
CA Painter:

I struggle with this as well. But here's how I counter that: When coming up with a system for enameling S & V or Lacquered cabinets I contacted coating manufacturers and spoke to as many chemists and lab people as possible. By learning what the molecules of oil primer, hybrid topcoats, lacquer and water based coatings look like, I was able to (as scientifically as possible) find out why some coatings work better than others. So I try to collect as much objective information as possible and combine it with what I 'feel' in the field to come up with the closest thing to a 'solution' as possible. Now having said that, availability of materials, opposition to progression and the fact that a lot of painters aren't painters by choice limit the effectiveness of that information.
Good points!

Question:

What is your take on PVA Sealer? We've had numerous discussions about it, and the consensus is that it has been replaced by other primers that offer higher build, better coverage/hide, and or better moisture barrier. Yet it remains a recommended treatment by the Gypsum Association.

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.
askapainter likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=CApainter;1482217]Good points!

Question:

What is your take on PVA Sealer? We've had numerous discussions about it, and the consensus is that it has been replaced by other primers that offer higher build, better coverage/hide, and or better moisture barrier. Yet it remains a recommended treatment by the Gypsum Association.

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.[/QUOTE]

maybe
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #11

View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=chrisn;1482401]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Good points!

Question:

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.[/QUOTE]

maybe
Maybe, what?
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
Anonymous Tard

Maybe the Gypsum Association is in cahoots with the PVA Society and they are secretly trying to make us look bad.
chrisn likes this.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 696
Thanked 8,445 Times in 4,285 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum Nick. It's a good group of guys here and I hope to see you around.
askapainter likes this.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
Anonymous Tard

Just not too good.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Good points!

Question:

My contention is that PVA Sealer is intended be used as a bonding sealer between a coating system and bare drywall/joint compound substrate because of its ph tolerance.
I care less about what the primer for new drywall is called and more that it is sandable. I've experimented with all sorts of primer--even oil--on new drywall in search of a perfect substrate for egghell/low lustre/satin topcoats. Ive had great results with PVA as long as it sands well. Some brands do better than others. In new construction I usually use higher end topcoats and apply two coats by hand. So coverage isn't usually an issue, but when I've needed an extra bit of coverage I have the paint store top it off with KX colorant. Slows drying and sandability some, but not enough to deter me.
The Following User Says Thank You to askapainter For This Useful Post:
CApainter (10-02-2017)

Tags
askapainter, facebook, live, youtube