Attention Deficit in Young Workers - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By PNW Painter
  • 2 Post By jennifertemple

Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
View refpaul2465's Photo Album My Photos
Default Attention Deficit in Young Workers

I would be interested to see how many contractors see
ADHD or similar issues among young apprentice/painters
that are in the work force?
Its a big issue to find reliable help, add this to the mix
and production levels etc are very poor.
Any thoughts would be welcome
refpaul2465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

The attention span of young people has gone down precipitously, since the onset of video games on the internet.

They have an extremely hard time focussing on everything else!
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 408
Thanked 15,586 Times in 8,226 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I suspect every generation fails to live up to the expectations of the previous ones:

ďThe children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.Ē

― Socrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 928
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

RH is right people always dog on the youth but truth is there are lazy kids, there are lazy 40 year olds and there are lazy 60+ year olds. Those people were lazy when they were young middle age and old most likely.

Honestly I see more old people messing with their phone trying to figure it out or their music. I have always had the best luck with young employees over older ones. Even when I was just a foreman for another company years ago I wanted the young employees I could teach them. The older employees not so teachable and were slower. Many had the attitude that they had already put in their time. And honestly when it is hot in the summer in Oklahoma I think moving the extension ladders was difficult for them and they moved slower. Younger people did not have that issue in my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Iíd guess thatís itís always been a challenge for the painting industry to attract young talented workers.

At a bare minimum the wage and benefits gap between our industry and others has to be a major factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 824
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

I gave up hiring, early on! To much trouble and I was no good at it BUT I did partner up with an other painting company when either of us had bigger jobs than we could not do solo OR when there was both interior and exterior to be done. The other guy loved exteriors and I preferred interiors. We did larger apartment buildings & offices as a joint ventures. That worked out well for both of us. We both avoided the need to hire and train people.
Wildbill7145 and lilpaintchic like this.

jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 408
Thanked 15,586 Times in 8,226 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Supposedly Hitler had few misgivings about going to war with the United States because he felt the men of fighting age were lazy, decadent, and self absorbed. Of course they are now commonly referred to as “The Greatest Generation”.
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (11-02-2018)
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 AM   #8
Minneapolis Painter

Rewards Points: 62
View MinneapolisPainter's Photo Album My Photos

They say most people have an attention span of a goldfish, about 8 seconds. Younger people have not developed patients and millennials like myself are really bad at paying attention.
MinneapolisPainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None