Back In The Game - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Midwest Madness's Photo Album My Photos
Default Back In The Game

Just a minute to introduce myself. I am a midwest painting - minor remodeling contractor and due to circumstances beyond my control (injury/economy) I have not been active for about 3 years now. I have done a side job here and a few exterior repaints there but nothing on a steady basis. I am raising 3 kids and have been married to a great wife for over 20 years now who runs my office. 4 years ago I had 2 exterior paint crews running full blast all summer and I managed all the wood repairs and small remodeling gigs with a helper and myself. I suffered a serious injury in late fall and I was forced to cancel my 2 large basement conversion projects I had reserved for the winter and it all just fell apart from there. When all was said and done I found myself up to my neck in debt and sitting in front of the Tax Man and a bankruptcy attorney and what took 7 years to build was gone in a fraction of the time. To make a long story short, after a 3 year slump I am starting now gearing up to kick off next spring with an exterior paint crew and rebuild my business.

About 10 years ago I was forced into contracting for myself when my long time boss and pastor who I was crew leader for blindsidingly fired me after I quit going to his church. I was on his payroll at the rate of $25 an hour and could not afford the pay cut so I made flyers and hit the neighborhoods. It worked for me and I was making great $$$ so I just kept on rolling with it for over 7 years. After a few years I had Yellowpage adds and a nice website as well as a nice work van and a great reputation with my customers but I have never had any formal training when it comes to bidding jobs or closing the customer and I am sure I cost myself alot of $$$ and lost a few bids to lack of knowledge. I am looking forward to connecting with some good people on here. I am alot wiser and have already experienced many of the pitfalls that come with the contracting business but I would like to hear others input and wisdom in how they do things and what makes them successful.

I guess thats all I have to say for now... Thanks for taking time to read it.

Later, V
Midwest Madness is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome
Use the search function. It will be grand!
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Midwest Madness (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like you have a degree from the School of Hard Knocks! Welcome to the forum, be sure to spend some time in the marketing section, lots of good stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Hope your new business is a great success. And welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome and good luck. I'm sure the second go around will be a lot easier for you.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
View Midwest Madness's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody, seems to be a pretty genuine energy here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Sounds like you have a degree from the School of Hard Knocks! Welcome to the forum, be sure to spend some time in the marketing section, lots of good stuff!
Thnx RPC I actually have already read every sticky and some non stickies in the Marketing forum. Alot of great advice in there. Marketing has always been a strong point for me and I am very resourceful and creative in my methods. Alot of the great advice I read are practices I had already incorporated into my business. I understand that people are not buying a paint job they are buying me. I have also been lucky enough to read a few posts that showed me some areas where I was faltering and given me alot to think about in terms of what to do different than before. I am sure I will be posting a few questions in the near future.
Midwest Madness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None