Been lurking for a while....DeanV please read. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View tanc's Photo Album My Photos
Default Been lurking for a while....DeanV please read.

Fellas,
Thought I'd introduce myself as part of the email I received. I live and work in Ontario as a mechanical engineer for an automotive parts company for 12 years. From the age of 16 I worked for my uncle's paint business. He caters to homeowners and small businesses. At the time he had a crew of 5 and myself, today he has a crew of around 25 guys and myself.

I've been involved in the business for over 15 years, mostly part time. My job consists of working mostly from home so I have a lot of spare time on my hands and help him out on the job site about 3-4 days a week. I started out as the cleaner/bitch boy, after many years of learning, I'm now part of the paint team. I don't consider myself a professional in the field like some of the guys I work with, but I do know my way around a brush and roller more than the average.

DeanV, I apologize if you were under the impression I was your daily homeowner throwing paint on a couple walls a year. I appreciate you leaving the thread open for a couple hours but would you consider unlocking it now that I've introduced myself? We are painting a clients 3000sqft home, and not mine Usually I'd ask my uncle for clarification but he's working another jobsite 900 miles away. Thanks again.

https://www.painttalk.com/f2/newly-pa...re-time-21834/
tanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
King Dude

Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,864 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to pt!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 152
Thanked 5,138 Times in 2,797 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Based on your responses, it did not sound like you work for a painting company or are a contractor. It sounds like a engineer painting his own home.

Quote:
My guess is I can't touch the walls or wash for the walls for roughly 28 days until cured but I'll be having my entertainment center being built in a week and I doubt they won't touch the walls.
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback on diychatroom.com I've visted the site a couple times, helpful however, I find sourcing information from the professionals in the business a lot more resourceful then some answers I see on diychatroom.com. As a professional engineer myself, I'd rather seek the help from the like rather joe who does it as a side job. I like learning the correct and educated way of doing things, not "oh this has worked for me before..don't know if its right, but I have good luck with it"

To be honest, I am doubtful this is for a client still, but will give you the benefit of the doubt for now, it is Christmas season after all!

Last edited by DeanV; 12-26-2012 at 03:39 PM..
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (12-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #4

Thanks! I re-read my post and now I realize the confusion. I refer to the entertainment center as "mine". I apologize, I'm not sure why, but when I'm on a job I refer to anything being done as "mine". As having a career and working 3-4 days as a painter, I don't consider it a job as more of a passion. I usually connect my clients home/business and my own. We are contracting out the entertainment center from a company we've done work with before.

I should of chosen my wording carefully, moving forward I'll try to separate my thoughts from "mine" to "theirs"

Last edited by tanc; 12-26-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Midwest painter

Rewards Points: 258
View Neese's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanc View Post
Thanks! I re-read my post and now I realize the confusion. I refer to the entertainment center as "mine". I apologize, I'm not sure why, but when I'm on a job I refer to anything being done as "mine". As having a career and working 3-4 days as a painter, I don't consider it a job as more of a passion. I usually connect my clients home/business and my own. We are contracting out the entertainment center from a company we've done work with before.

I should of chosen my wording carefully, moving forward I'll try to separate my thoughts from "mine" to "theirs"
Welcome
Neese's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 10,318
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT!

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Can someone explain to me how a mecanical engineer that works part time for his uncle qualify as a painting contractor? The guy is painting his own living room and doesn't even know the basics? Like how long for paint to dry/cure?

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (12-27-2012), Workaholic (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Can someone explain to me how a mecanical engineer that works part time for his uncle qualify as a painting contractor? The guy is painting his own living room and doesn't even know the basics? Like ihow long for paint to dry/cure?
I guess the economy is effecting even the engineers.
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Painting View Post

I guess the economy is effecting even the engineers.
Haha
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David's Painting For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Can someone explain to me how a mecanical engineer that works part time for his uncle qualify as a painting contractor? The guy is painting his own living room and doesn't even know the basics? Like how long for paint to dry/cure?
I suppose some people don't seem very welcoming around here? Do you even realize how many kids are probably registered on this site that haven't even rolled one wall in their life?

Yes, I'm a mechanical engineer, that is my schooling, that is my career. I've worked for my uncles paint company for 15 years or so in a field I have a passion for. I'm not understanding the problem here? Do you realize how many hours that would make?

Does it offend you that I signed up to learn more? Get more insight? I thought that is the main reason for this forum. Where painters can talk paint. I never claimed to know everything, my uncle will be retiring soon, his business will still be run by the family. I came on here, introduced myself and asked a question I've never run to before in my 15 years or so. If you look at my OP, I stated I know the cure time of paint.

Anyhow, I'm sure your well respected around here, I'm new and don't mind learning a view tips and tricks from some of the pro's.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Hey, its nothing personal, but rules are rules. This site is explicitly for painting contractors, and you ain't one. Be glad another mod felt charitable. Merry Christmas.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 152
Thanked 5,138 Times in 2,797 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

My take: we allow other painters who work for painting companies, so if he is not lying, he qualifies in that sense.

Now, if we want to take a straw pole of moderators and if the majority thinks he is not being honest, ban the account, that is fine as well.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

The technical part is this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
This site is designed specifically for anyone who works full time in the painting trades. That can be a painting contractor, a paint manufacture, a paint retail store owner, etc... The key is that you do this for a living and it's not a side job or something your doing for yourself. Anyone who does join and asks a DIY question will be directed to DIYChatroom.com and I actually check every registration to see what they list as their painting trade. I ban a lot of people before they even get a chance to ask a DIY question.
Now I have turned a blind eye before to some of the non full time members as we have many school teacher and fireman type of business owners but I always felt they kind of fell through the technical crack, but the real answer is full time earning a living by painting, running a paint business, or are involved with paint related products.

Last edited by Workaholic; 12-27-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #14

I suppose rules are rules. Being involved with my families paint business for as long as I remeber, I've probably put more hours in it that some of the members that just started out and are signed up here. Even though I work 3-4 days, I rack up about 35-45 hours a week while getting paid. We have a contractors account at SW, and buy paint at a fraction of the cost the public does. Just picked up some pro200 for a ceiling job @ 20 bucks a gallon. Can't go wrong there!

Out of the 16,700 members on this site, I'm sure half aren't even in the paint business and arn't even active. Maybe when I'm done this jobsite, I'll take some pics to show you some of our work. I'd still like to be able to use the search feature as some of you guys on here are very knowledgable and most of my questions have been answered before.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #15

40hrs a week is full time. I think with 15yrs of part time paint experience you would have a good idea of the fix to your cure time thread or at least the cause. What did your uncle have to say about it?
What is your uncles company name? I know some contractors in your area maybe I know him.

Last edited by Workaholic; 12-27-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Painting

Haha
Love the quoting yourself and the haha!!! Great job.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
David's Painting (12-28-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #17

Workaholic --- riverview drywall and painting contractors, his name is Shawn.

I think we all make errors no matter the experience, or stuble on problems we need help with. The thread was worded wrong, I should of had cure time in there as I know how long it takes paint to cure but I apologize as English is not my first langauge. Sometimes I know what I'm trying to say but use the wrong wording to explain it.

Like I previously mentioned, on any dark colors I've done, I never needed to touch the wall or wipe the wall. This is the first time I've made that mistake on accident and ussually when I wipe walls (I try to avoid it but **** happens), it's always on a lighter color that doesn't show the burinish.

I apreciate all the input, you guys seem very knowledgable.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #18

Nope never talked to that guy.
There is quite a few members here and on other sites that are in your area, so I thought there may be a chance I had interacted with him.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #19

Were pretty fortunate to not have many contractors in our area that does residential
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanc View Post
Were pretty fortunate to not have many contractors in our area that does residential
There is a few but Canada is cold so you have to stick.

Did you ever get rid of all those hyundai parts?

Tags
None