Big creep!! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View paintcore.ca's Photo Album My Photos
Default Big creep!!

Hello painters. I'm from Mississauga Ontario. Been creeping on this site for a while now. Finally decided to join in all the fun. I have been involved in the industry for 17 years. My father ran a painting business and I started working for him in the summer since I was 13. He paid me $20 a day. I thought I was rich! At 18 I started working full time. Then at 25 I went out on my own. Worked the residential market for 2 years, then directed my focus to kitchen cabinet and furniture re-coating refinishing, and wood finishing. I love being part of the paint industry and wouldn't change anything. When I stumbled across paint talk a few years ago I found a wealth of knowledge and realized that there were people out there that loved paint and finishes just as much as I do. The deeper I dig into our trade I come to the understanding that I have so much more to learn. The depth of this forces you to be a student at all times. Any way that's just a little about me and my 2 cents.

Thanks
paintcore.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paintcore.ca For This Useful Post:
benthepainter (01-14-2013), WisePainter (01-19-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. Great introduction. Recently I've had a few cabinet and staining jobs. I really enjoyed it. They broke up the monotony that repaints can have.
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
still in the bucket

Rewards Points: 500
View cdaniels's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome.I love staining and cabinet work.we don't get much call for it nowadays though.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #4

Ya I really enjoy it to. The before and afters are dramatic, and when you run your fingers across a beautifully laid down finish and it feels like silk that makes me very proud. I still do repaints and on site finishing tho, but 90% of my business is kitchens now.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome, and I'm glad we finally reeled you in!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 10,130
Thanked 15,342 Times in 8,033 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group. Nice intro!
Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Midwest painter

Rewards Points: 258
View Neese's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintcore.ca View Post
Hello painters. I'm from Mississauga Ontario. Been creeping on this site for a while now. Finally decided to join in all the fun. I have been involved in the industry for 17 years. My father ran a painting business and I started working for him in the summer since I was 13. He paid me $20 a day. I thought I was rich! At 18 I started working full time. Then at 25 I went out on my own. Worked the residential market for 2 years, then directed my focus to kitchen cabinet and furniture re-coating refinishing, and wood finishing. I love being part of the paint industry and wouldn't change anything. When I stumbled across paint talk a few years ago I found a wealth of knowledge and realized that there were people out there that loved paint and finishes just as much as I do. The deeper I dig into our trade I come to the understanding that I have so much more to learn. The depth of this forces you to be a student at all times. Any way that's just a little about me and my 2 cents.

Thanks
Welcom to the group!!
Neese's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Do you spray your cabinets?
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Yes we spray. Kem aqua is my go to, and probably my favourite product. We have gone through hundreds of gallons of that stuff. It was a learning curve tho. It's a very sensitive product but once you learn it's capabilities and quirks that stuff bangs like ladesh!!
The Following User Says Thank You to paintcore.ca For This Useful Post:
David's Painting (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
King Dude

Thanked 5,029 Times in 2,856 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Great intro and welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,276
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome! I lurked around for awhile as well before I decided to swim with sharks.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

View Xmark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Yes we spray. Kem aqua is my go to, and probably my favourite product. We have gone through hundreds of gallons of that stuff. It was a learning curve tho. It's a very sensitive product but once you learn it's capabilities and quirks that stuff bangs like ladesh!!
welcome.

what rig are you using to spray the KA? what are your set-up pressures and tip's? what primer works best with Kem Aqua? you should post something on cabinet spraying.
Xmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmark

welcome.

what rig are you using to spray the KA? what are your set-up pressures and tip's? what primer works best with Kem Aqua? you should post something on cabinet spraying.
We spray all our doors in our shop with a C.A. Tech 14:1 h20 with a bobcat gun for our primers and a kremlin eos 30:1 hooked up to a kremlin inline heater for our top coats. Heating the material is a must IMO. We keep the shop temp regulated at 65. We spray top coats with a 413 tip at 600 to 700 psi fluid and around 20 psi for air depending on the day. You have to learn to adjust with the coating. Once you learn the nuances you will know when to add retarder or thin depending on humidity and temp. The inline heater has taken a lot of the guess work out of it tho. On site we go totally turbine. Airless sucks for water bourn lacquers. We have used a multi finish and a finish pro with ok results. Hvlp is great for on-site and I swear we can lay down a finish as good as our kremlin dose on-site with our capspray. We use the 4 stage 9600 capspray. We have a 6 stage 115 but find it over atomize the coating when using the 6 stage so we only use it at 4. We use fuji, ca tech, and accuspray hvlp turbine guns on site. For hvlp we spray with a #3 or a 1.5 tip for top coats and surfaces and a 1.2 for pigmented shellac.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to paintcore.ca For This Useful Post:
Damon T (01-21-2013), ROOMINADAY (01-19-2013), Schmidt & Co. (01-14-2013), Xmark (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #14

Quote:
We spray all our doors in our shop with a C.A. Tech 14:1 h20 with a bobcat gun for our primers and a kremlin eos 30:1 hooked up to a kremlin inline heater for our top coats. Heating the material is a must IMO. We keep the shop temp regulated at 65. We spray top coats with a 413 tip at 600 to 700 psi fluid and around 20 psi for air depending on the day. You have to learn to adjust with the coating. Once you learn the nuances you will know when to add retarder or thin depending on humidity and temp. The inline heater has taken a lot of the guess work out of it tho. On site we go totally turbine. Airless sucks for water bourn lacquers. We have used a multi finish and a finish pro with ok results. Hvlp is great for on-site and I swear we can lay down a finish as good as our kremlin dose on-site with our capspray. We use the 4 stage 9600 capspray. We have a 6 stage 115 but find it over atomize the coating when using the 6 stage so we only use it at 4. We use fuji, ca tech, and accuspray hvlp turbine guns on site. For hvlp we spray with a #3 or a 1.5 tip for top coats and surfaces and a 1.2 for pigmented shellac.
I also own the kremlin 30-1 but have not used it for wb lacquers yet. i recently purchased it but haven't got a cabinet job to test it out. . i'd like to get the inline heater but can't justify the $1500 cost until i get a LOT more work.I'm going to get a hotplate to heat the paints. i just bought a used graco 395 finish pro and hope to put that to use as an on-site rig or as a backup to the Kremlin. you must mean 413 tip equivalent in the kremlin set-up? the number system is different than graco's.

Last edited by Xmark; 01-14-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #15

Quote:

I also own the kremlin 30-1 but have not used it for wb lacquers yet. i recently purchased it but haven't got a cabinet job to test it out. . i'd like to get the inline heater but can't justify the $1500 cost until i get a LOT more work.I'm going to get a hotplate to heat the paints. i just bought a used graco 395 finish pro and hope to put that to use as an on-site rig or as a backup to the Kremlin. you must mean 413 tip equivalent in the kremlin set-up? the number system is different than graco's.
I have been using kremlins 09-094 which I think is a 413. The inline heater is so good, but I can understand the cost vs amount of work. Once you get more cab jobs I would get it for sure. I used a hot plate for a bit but you gotta babysit it a keep it moving. Gently stir it. I found it better to fill a fiver full of hot water and submerge the gallon in it for ten or fifteen mins. Once your ready to spray empty the fiver and put more hot water back in it but only fill it one third of a gallon high. Then put the gallon in it and the syphon tube in the material. As you use the material the water tilts the gallon so the syphon tube is always at the lowest point and always submerged. I found this a awesome way to spray gallons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paintcore.ca For This Useful Post:
Damon T (01-21-2013), Xmark (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #16

Quote:
I have been using kremlins 09-094 which I think is a 413. The inline heater is so good, but I can understand the cost vs amount of work. Once you get more cab jobs I would get it for sure. I used a hot plate for a bit but you gotta babysit it a keep it moving. Gently stir it. I found it better to fill a fiver full of hot water and submerge the gallon in it for ten or fifteen mins. Once your ready to spray empty the fiver and put more hot water back in it but only fill it one third of a gallon high. Then put the gallon in it and the syphon tube in the material. As you use the material the water tilts the gallon so the syphon tube is always at the lowest point and always submerged. I found this a awesome way to spray gallons.
have you tried the one gallon paint warmers?

http://www.toolexperts.com/one-gallon-paint-warmer.html
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:

have you tried the one gallon paint warmers?

http://www.toolexperts.com/one-gallon-paint-warmer.html
Haven't tried those yet. I know about the power blanket. Same idea but I thing they only make them for pails. I might order a few of these. Thanks for the link! Great price to!!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 526
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

What waterbourne lacquer do you use?

Do you use it over enamels or glazes?

A+HomeWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None