BIN shellac with acrylic lacquer? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tprice2193

Old 08-02-2019, 12:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View Rinconpaul's Photo Album My Photos
Default BIN shellac with acrylic lacquer?

Hi all, I'm from Australia and am having an issue that no one in AUS can solve? I thought I'd test out your talented knowledge base. I have primed MDF with BIN shellac primer. Then top coated with acrylic lacquer Auto paint. Adhesion was poor! The acrylic just peels off. Now you might ask why I used BIN as a primer. It covers MDF great and sands easily. BIN's product label says it works for any topcoat. That's not the case according to Rust-Oleum, only oil or water based house paint. OK, forget any fingerpointing, the job I did is ruined, but I have 9 other small items already BIN primed ready for acrylic lacquer! Why am I using the lacquer? Because I want to wet sand & polish to a mirror finish. Is there a product that will deal or promote adhesion between the BIN and lacquer that anyone can suggest? Cheers and thanks for reading.
Rinconpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2
View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

I can't answer you question directly but I can tell you what I have done with good results on mdf. I use BIN as my primer and a waterbourne laquer as topcoat. I use general finishes white poly. Wet sand and polish just like a car finish.
jennifertemple likes this.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:22 AM   #3

Wow, never thought of that. I'ts been years since my car painting days and you only had 2 choices for top coat then, acrylic lacquer or enamel. So they make water based auto paint now that can be wet sanded and buffed? Well I'll be.... Thanks Tprice2193 for the tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Troy

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,145 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Polishing MDF to a mirror finish?

"...BIN's product label says it works for any topcoat. "

Pretty sure they're referring to only architectural paints, although maybe they should specify. I know there's a blurb in BIN's Advanced synthetic shellac which specifies architectural paints, but don't ever remember seeing it in the original BIN Shellac's docs.

Never heard of anyone polishing MDF to a mirror finish. Seems like you're choosing the highest end of finishing techniques over a less-than-ideal substrate, but please post pics when done. I know there's different grades of MDF though. Definitely interested to see how the finish product turns out.

As far as products for topcoat, might look into Target Coatings, although I'm unsure of their shipping policies. I've listed other options below the links, but I've found Target Coatings to be extremely user-friendly, easy to apply, professional results.

Their pigmented acrylic lacquer
https://www.targetcoatings.com/produ...-tint-lacquer/

Followed by their clear acrylic lacquer
https://www.targetcoatings.com/produ...ction-lacquer/

Fine Paints of Europe, ML Campbell, Lenmar, Gemini, General Finishes...all of these companies should have what you need as well.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Angry

Thanks stelzerpaintinginc for your contribution. I make table lamps in the shape of a stiletto shoe. I've attached 2 pics, one the desired outcome and the other you can see the acrylic peeling. It's a consumer issue in my opinion. I walk into a paint shop and want the best paint for mdf, and I want it to accept any topcoat? What do you get: BIN shellac primer. It covers any stain and takes any topcoat.... according to the advertising! See another 2 pics.

That is clearly wrong. BIN shellac can't tolerate any thinner based top coat paint apart from enamel thinners!
Attached Thumbnails
BIN shellac with acrylic lacquer?-img_0454.jpg  

BIN shellac with acrylic lacquer?-stiletto-purple-blaze.jpg  

BIN shellac with acrylic lacquer?-bin-primer-bunnings.jpg  

BIN shellac with acrylic lacquer?-bin-label.jpg  

Old 08-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,482
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

I assume you're in Canada since the volume on the can is in liters only. Even with the exchange rate thats $70.00 USD. I can get it for about $40.00 down here. Pretty pricey !
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #7

No in Australia. Our dollar only buys 60 US cents
Old 11-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
PPD
Girl Boss

Rewards Points: 120
View PPD's Photo Album My Photos

I JUST posted about this exact question earlier in the week- needing to get a high gloss lacquer look finish on some MDF panels going in as flush doors in a hallway.

Was recommended to use Lenmar products, not sure if u have access but assuming u have BM over there they’re the ones who stock it for us here in the states.

Curious to how it turned out & what u ended up with?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfectly Painted Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Diego, CA
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 20
View Rvidallon757's Photo Album My Photos

Have a question seems like you do a lot of high-end work also. I usually pass on all MDF cabinetry jobs, just because I am never happy with the end results.
Recently I took on a new cabinetry project for a repeating client that consists of all new MDF doors. My client asked me if they should have used a different material which I didn't want to answer directly because you can tell she wanted validation for her choice in material used.
So my question is to you what have you used besides lacquer (solvent) primer that won't raise the wood grain? I have read BIN shellac can be used or SW makes a product which is waterborne lacquer?
I know of some other tricks that can be used but I much not rather skim out cabinets in Bondo, or a 50\50 of wood glue and water.

If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Rick Vidallon
SIpainting.net
Rvidallon757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None