CA Painter - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View lee63's Photo Album My Photos
Default CA Painter

Hi everyone my name is Lee, I'm from CA. I have done 13 years residential and probably the same amount of time in Commercial and Industrial. I have come to the point that I now longer want to work for someone else.

I'm a little gun shy though, I'm not worried about the actual work but more so getting work and bidding-pricing work. I don't need to make a killing by doing this, I would just need to get by, the company's painters I work for now are very cut throat-dog eat dog..all we do is prevailing wage work in CA, the money is pretty good ($40 per hr + in some county's) but I've had it with the BS.

If you guys could guide me in the right direction...that would be cool, I would be starting from scratch, all I have is my work truck tools and knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Lee
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the Forum Lee. Hang around and use the search feature to read old threads. It helped me greatly. 2nd year in business and still going strong. Best of luck, it's always scary not knowing where the next job will come from, it takes time brother, and will get easier as you go.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Lee,
Spend the weekend reading this forum, start here!

Being "tired of the bs" may not be the best reason, owning your own business can be a lot of bs!
There is a wealth of information here for someone in your situation, plenty of members have been in the position. Good Luck to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RCP; 06-25-2011 at 10:51 AM..
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Start with getting a C33 Contractors License.
Welcome
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

Wow thanks for the quick reply's and advice, looks like I have a lot of reading to do this weekend.

Thanks again
Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
RCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Start with getting a C33 Contractors License.
Welcome
That is a good point Gabe, your state, like mine has a license process that has several requirements to fulfill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

Owning your own company does require dealing with some BS, although the pay helps with the stink.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
RCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Strokes View Post
Owning your own company does require dealing with some BS, although the pay helps with the stink.
Unless you spend all your money on paint!

Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #9

Ok I have the C33 dialed in, its gonna take a little while. I think I will have to do some small stuff for now just to make some kind of $$$.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 526
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Ok I have the C33 dialed in, its gonna take a little while. I think I will have to do some small stuff for now just to make some kind of $$$.

Welcome and be prepared to do lots of small odd stuff. It makes better profit than you think and your name will spread like wild fire with home owners, if that is a niche you are willing to work in.
I recently quit my job to go full time self-employed too.

GOOD LUCK!!

A+HomeWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #11

You should put up with the crap, keep your job while getting your lic. That's how I did it.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
RCP

Quote:
You should put up with the crap, keep your job while getting your lic. That's how I did it.
I agree, the guys in other states do not often understand what our states are like. Gabe, what is the job size ($) that you can do in Cali without a license. Here in Utah I think it is $500 and you still have to have a"handyman license" and show proof of insurance.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 526
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
I agree, the guys in other states do not often understand what our states are like. Gabe, what is the job size ($) that you can do in Cali without a license. Here in Utah I think it is $500 and you still have to have a"handyman license" and show proof of insurance.
That's why it's good to live in states like Oklahoma where we're behind on everything! Lead Cert is just getting attention here when working on older homes.

A+HomeWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Nothing over 500 bucks, and if your caught it a automatic 2 year suspension of even getting your lic. However I have heard they were busting people and just fining them while giving them a dead line to get a lic. Regardless, not a good way to start a business.

A good Contractor school will teach you a lot of good basics stuff
CSLS is where I went, and I thought it was great. Here is the link, they are all over Cali
http://www.contractorslicensingschools.com/
Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #15

Thanks for the reply's, yeah its $500 in CA...but a couple of those a week would fine for now.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #16

I also think I will need a small businesses loan of some kind, not to much..just enough to get some good equipment (pump, ladders, etc.) I like the idea of doing small jobs, I think that would be my niche to start and maybe for a while.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
RCP

Quote:
I also think I will need a small businesses loan of some kind, not to much..just enough to get some good equipment (pump, ladders, etc.) I like the idea of doing small jobs, I think that would be my niche to start and maybe for a while.
In a good economy, and a perfect world, that might work.
If you do not even have your own basic equipment, I would strongly suggest you spend the next year working for a company and at least taking half your paycheck and banking it for tools, fees and living expenses and working towards getting a license and the required insurance. Look for a SCORE group and find someone to help you make a business plan.

The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (06-29-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #18

Quote:
You'd be surprised what people will do for 500 bucks.

What part of Cali you from?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 25
View Millions's Photo Album My Photos

Not to put a damper on your goals, but I've heard operating in California without a license is highly monitored and there are strict punishments. I know you want to do jobs for $500 and less but if an $800 job comes up are you really going to turn it down?

Anyone have any comments from personal experience on this?
Millions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #20

Quote:
You'd be surprised what people will do for 500 bucks.

What part of Cali you from?
I'm just north of San Diego in Temecula Murrieta Riverside, I have all the basic tools to get started minus a pump, I will be able to borrow and gas or electric and pressure washer for now until I get my own equipment.

I have a good truck (05 F150) with a ladder rack with custom spray line holders welded, I have about ten weeks until I need to start making some kind of $$.

Well as for the $ 500 thing, anything over I would have to turn down I guess, I wouldn't want to mess this this up for a little $.

Going back to work for someone is not an option (unless I absolutely have to) I started painting in 85 but never really had the balls to go out on my own, I think if I could make some kind of $ now..things will only get better when the economy takes a turn around.

Tags
None