Carpenters that Paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By PNW Painter

Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
View craftednorth's Photo Album My Photos
Default Carpenters that Paint

New here to the forum but were a 2 man carpentry team here that is going to start painting due to the scheduling issues and dealings that we come across. Were looking at investing in a 395 graco and then maybe some tri-tech tips. I've done some painting before or should i say prepping. I know how to really prep a space for paint and take all of those steps serisously and diligently as i know that really dictates the outcome of your finish. Just looking for some help in spraying advice, equipment, learning a bit more about paints latex vs oil, alkylyd, and pre catalyzed. Those things confuse the hell out of me but i would like to be able to learn some stuff here that can help me become a proficient painter.
craftednorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 120
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard! I know what you mean about jumping into other trades. We have such a lack of contractors in my area, that homeowners just want SOMEONE, anyone, to get their project done. I've had to delve into drywall, electrical, plumbing, even some trim finish work to keep a project going. If you have a good quality paint store in your area with knowledgeable employees, they can be a big help with your selection of a spray rig. I'm lucky that my local SW store has a manager with 28 years of experience and he's a great source of spray info.
craftednorth likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
craftednorth (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome! Can I assume that youíre mainly looking to paint trim packs and built-ins?

If you can afford it, Iíd recommend an Air Assist Airless (AAA) sprayer. Graco and C.A. Technologies make two of the better AAA units. Compared to an airless these atomize the paint better and improve the transfer efficiency. In laymanís terms, theyíll produce a better finish and use less paint to do it.

My biggest piece of advice is to get as much practice as possible before you start shooting a clients project. Shooting takes a lot of practice.

Also, test new products before you try them. Some caulk and paints donít work well together. Some primers sand well and others donít. You get the point.

Youíre also bound to get runs and sags when you first start spraying. If youíre using water based products dampen a rag with denatured alcohol and lightly wipe the sag or run. This sometimes works better than sanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
craftednorth likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
craftednorth (01-22-2019)

Tags
None