cheers to all - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View infoseeker's Photo Album My Photos
Default cheers to all

Hi all,
Ian here, this is a first post for me so please be pateint. I am researching a painting business start up in Ontario Canada. I have what you would consider limited hands on painting experience, however the prep and paint work i have done i have enjoyed. My intention would be to handle the business end of things and do the painting myself.
I have been following this site and contractortalk.com for some time and find all the info to be a huge help.
It seems to me that there are 3 main areas to learn in the painting business. Painting itself, marketing, and estimating.
My question is this : has anyone purchased Andy Thompson's Painting for profits course? He is on the web at startapaintingbusiness.com
He seems to address most aspects of the painting industry and i'm wondering if his "course" is worth buying before taking the plunge?
Has anyone purchased his "kit" (or something similar) with good or bad results?
Thanks in advance for any help !
cheers.
Ian.
infoseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 75
View Thepaintman's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Ian!!!

I haven't seen "Andy Thompson's Painting" so I can't help you there. I'm sure with the vast knowledge here someone will come up to bat.

Jerry
Thepaintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
It seems to me that there are 3 main areas to learn in the painting business. Painting itself, marketing, and estimating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
My question is this : has anyone purchased Andy Thompson's Painting for profits course? He is on the web at startapaintingbusiness.com
He seems to address most aspects of the painting industry and i'm wondering if his "course" is worth buying before taking the plunge?
Has anyone purchased his "kit" (or something similar) with good or bad results?
Thanks in advance for any help !
cheers.
Ian.
Never heard of Andy Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
Never heard of Andy Thompson
Ok so out of curiosity I went to his website and he says I can turn my existing business into a cash cow...sign me up!

Seriously, I use a great set of resources that is available through a highly respected advertising partner right here on Painttalk. Look to the far right of your screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
FT painter/FT dad

Rewards Points: 500
View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to painttalk Ian!

I personally don't believe you can learn anything about painting from a book, cd, or video alone. I am a firm believer that real experience working for someone is key. Not dabbling in it, not doing some work for a friend or family member, but working for someone else making a paycheck.

I feel like anyone who has any less than 5 years full time, day in day out experience shouldn't even consider a business.

These are just my opinions since meeting a whole bunch of painters in forums and hearing the issues they have.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #6

View HomeGuardPaints's Photo Album My Photos

its not the popular opinion on this board, but you can run a painting company without having painted professionally. I have never painted for a paycheck and will exceed $600,000 in sales this year, so it can be done.

If you want to own a painting company, either learn how to paint damn well or hire someone who can paint damn well. If you choose the 2nd option you better learn how to prospect, sell, estimate and manage. It can be done, and it won't be easy. If you desire to stay small and not worry with the management headaches then I suggest work for someone else and learn how to paint before jumping in on your own. Unfortunately the only way to learn how to professionally paint is practice.
HomeGuardPaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Hi Ian
I'm sure you'll find good info here
Just post up your Qs in the appropriate sections
I'm sure you'll get some responses

....and welcome!

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #8

View infoseeker's Photo Album My Photos
Default Thanks guys !

Thanks for some excellent advice guys.
Vermontpainter, i assume your resource reference was for out of the bucket? Brian i believe? If so i have read some of his posts and man he is one sharp cookie. He seems to set a high standard for a painting business. Its the type of business i would like to develop.

Rich, i tend to agree with you, i prefer to "learn to do by doing". However, any info i can soak up before starting seems like time well spent. I am considering working for a minimum of 6 months painting for someone else, however i wonder if given my lack of experience, the work i would get might be low quality for a company that is just hiring 10 dollar an hour painters to slap on a coat of apartment paint. I have seen ads for reputable companies, but most seek exp. painters with owned tools. Other than a positive attitude and great work ethic, how would i convince a reputable business to hire a guy with little hands on experience ?

HomeGuardPaints, my intention is to go it solo with mainly residential repaints. I owned and operated a successful automotive business for 12 years with several employees and i dont really wish to go that route again. I am not looking to make a killing, but i would obviously like to make a living doing quality work, while still having time to help out my son in high school and perhaps even bring him into the biz eventually. I'm wondering, would i learn estimating by working for someone else ? Would the owner not want to keep that info to himself in order to discourage workers from going out on their own ? I know from past experience it sucks to fully train an employee only to have them leave and become my competition.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry to drone on so long.
cheers.
Ian.
infoseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #9

View rhobkickrhun's Photo Album My Photos
Default andy thompson?

hi ian-

found your post by googling andy thompson. i too am considering making this investment. did you ever end up taking the plunge? if so, was it valuable? thank you.

-rhob
rhobkickrhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #10

View paint_booger's Photo Album My Photos

cheers
paint_booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25
View C. VASUDEVAN's Photo Album My Photos

Dear Ian,

What you said is 100% correct. No body would teach you and make you a competitor for him. To succeed you need to do on a trial and error method.

All the best

Vasu
C. VASUDEVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 12
View RE-Paint's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Andy Thompson

Hello Ian,
I did purchase Andy Thonpson's materials and it is worth every penny. I too have started from scratch and don't agree with those who only say learn from experience. Andy has vast experience and enjoys sharing it. Nuff said.
Rob
RE-Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #13

View lakesidepainting's Photo Album My Photos

I purchased andy thompsons painting for profits. and it was a waist of money unless you want to paint apartments for the rest of your life save your money
lakesidepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

If a company won't hire you for more then just a prep guy why would a homeowner hire you with no experience. You need to make your mistakes while there is somebody to teach you how to fix them. Properly.
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None