cold weather painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Roninnevada's Photo Album My Photos
Default cold weather painting

Out here in northern Nevada, big question is. Am using SW super, temp of substright getís to 38 and the ambient gets to 44 for about six hours. At night temp go to 22. Label says 35 and above. Humidly during day is 40%. Dew is at 17. Other guys out here tell me that as long as you can let paint set dry for a couple of house itís ok. Have done some siding a couple times in the past with no problem. But am doing a large wood slotted over hang that is horizontal. What do you think? P.S. am thinking of covering overhang with blue tarps after letting paint set.
Roninnevada is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 132
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,796 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Temps below 35 within 24 hours is too cold to paint.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
6126 (01-17-2013), Dave Mac (01-17-2013), Neese's Painting (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Thats too cold. Your doing paint jobs that are not going to last. I wouldn't do it. My reputation as a quality painter is too important to me. Focus on picking up some interior work.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
Neese's Painting (01-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 60
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Temps below 35 within 24 hours is too cold to paint.
Agree, any low temp paint out their specifically says on the label 35 for at least 24hrs, most say 48hrs. I always remind people drying to touch and curing are two different things.
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25
View workin'man's Photo Album My Photos

Ron, There was an old product Dunn Edwards put out called Lo Temp. This is an additive pure propylene glycol it needs to be vigorously mixed via mechanical mixer.
Problem is they took it off the market in CA.
This brings down the application temp to 35-50 degrees you need 2 hours of dry time at 50 I believe. The glycol additive makes it so your paint does not freeze when the temp drops. I just did a job with Super Paint in like conditions. Main thing is the caulking...DO NOT USE ACRYLIC CAULKING!!!! I used stampede caulking by SW this is a moisture cured product and is ok down to -20. Acrylic caulking will freeze, crack and fail.
workin'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #6

Default Going to go for it

Thanks for the info guys, am going to go for it on siding only and covered overhang. Will wait a couple of days to do horizianal overhang hoping by Monday temps will pick uip. We did all prep including north side when weather was good, all above 35, SW wood primer of bare wood. Covered over hang has black roof and it got to over 70 at peak temp during day, air temp was 42. Did not use stampead as weather during prep was OK. But did pick up a good trick, cover horzantial overnhang using blue or black tarps. Keeps frost off wood and a little later in heats wood up to paint for later that day. As I said I am only painting from 11 to 1 and letting it cure from there.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
I remember johnpaint

Rewards Points: 160
View ligboozer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninnevada View Post
Thanks for the info guys, am going to go for it on siding only and covered overhang. Will wait a couple of days to do horizianal overhang hoping by Monday temps will pick uip. We did all prep including north side when weather was good, all above 35, SW wood primer of bare wood. Covered over hang has black roof and it got to over 70 at peak temp during day, air temp was 42. Did not use stampead as weather during prep was OK. But did pick up a good trick, cover horzantial overnhang using blue or black tarps. Keeps frost off wood and a little later in heats wood up to paint for later that day. As I said I am only painting from 11 to 1 and letting it cure from there.

I still think that's pushing it, but sometimes it's what you have to do.

Once, when painting in cold weather, I draped drops from the gutter to about 6" above the ground and shot a space heater in there and then sprayed. Stuck good and has lasted but it cost me a few nights sleep.
ligboozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #8

Default Chicken

I decieded to wait to do siding till weather picks up. <chicken out> I do like the idea of using tarps for the overhang and space heater. Will try one over hang at a time. What happen is one of the overhang is half finished. Got it prepped and primed using SW wood primer and SW Super. Then weather caught us by suprise, I don't want to wait any longer at frost sets in and ruins primmer. I need to roll the dice and see what happens.
It gets crazy when you have job half finished and Mother nature says NO WAY. Problem here it has been 7 weeks of weather that is 15 below norm. <yea set new record>
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
I remember johnpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninnevada View Post
I decieded to wait to do siding till weather picks up. <chicken out> I do like the idea of using tarps for the overhang and space heater. Will try one over hang at a time. What happen is one of the overhang is half finished. Got it prepped and primed using SW wood primer and SW Super. Then weather caught us by suprise, I don't want to wait any longer at frost sets in and ruins primmer. I need to roll the dice and see what happens.
It gets crazy when you have job half finished and Mother nature says NO WAY. Problem here it has been 7 weeks of weather that is 15 below norm. <yea set new record>

I think you made the right choice.

Where you at in NV?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #10

Default chicken

The cloeset big town is Carson City, I am in the lower desert about 1 1/2 hr from Lake Tahoe. It is usually high of 40 and 50 lows are 30 to upper 20's. but this year has been crazy. It gets like this for maybe a week or two and I shut down or do interior. I just got caught my, bad but having to deal with it now
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
I remember johnpaint

Yeah, my dad lives in Gardnerville, not my cup of tea. Too windy.

Tags
None