Does Anyone Else Build Models? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View JDpainterguy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Does Anyone Else Build Models?

I used to build model airplanes as a kid. Mostly USA WWII airplanes and the Japanese Zero and some German airplanes such as the Stuka.

I had a compressor and an airbrush.
I used to read Scale Modeler Magazine, and the artistry and the plastic model airplane and ship and tank, and car models were awesome.

The car models are much more tricky because of the gloss.

I still build models.

Today, my modern compressor is friggin awesome! I also have a truly classic Passche airbrush that sprays like nobody's business.

And I encourage any craftsman or lover of paint to buy a compressor and airbrush, and build and paint a model ship or tank or airplane. A flying model is even better. Just go to your local hobby store.

Don't mind me, I had a few beers. But drinking at home with a keyboard in the hands is much better than drinking with a steering wheel in the hands.

Anyway, click here:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abbadcomp.aspx
JDpainterguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Estimator/Instructor

Rewards Points: 500
View Harry's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDpainterguy View Post
I used to build model airplanes as a kid. Mostly USA WWII airplanes and the Japanese Zero and some German airplanes such as the Stuka.

I had a compressor and an airbrush.
I used to read Scale Modeler Magazine, and the artistry and the plastic model airplane and ship and tank, and car models were awesome.

The car models are much more tricky because of the gloss.

I still build models.

Today, my modern compressor is friggin awesome! I also have a truly classic Passche airbrush that sprays like nobody's business.

And I encourage any craftsman or lover of paint to buy a compressor and airbrush, and build and paint a model ship or tank or airplane. A flying model is even better. Just go to your local hobby store.

Don't mind me, I had a few beers. But drinking at home with a keyboard in the hands is much better than drinking with a steering wheel in the hands.

Anyway, click here:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abbadcomp.aspx
I used to build control line planes...last one I built was a stunt plane with a 54" wong span. I never flew it because I was afraid to smash it, lol. I actually gave it away to a member of a local control line flyers club.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

I was an RC airplane builder/flier for about ten years. As a wee lad, I did control line and the normal plastic models kids in the 50's built. Planes, ships, and autos. Painted everything by brush.

The RC planes were covered in Monokote and other brands of colored plastic film, so nothing needed painting - except the cowl on my Extra 300 (Goldberg model). I mixed the colors with Rustoleum (if I remember) and sprayed with a Pre-val. I then bought a little compressor and an airbrush at our club's auction, but the Extra crashed and I lost interest in putting so many hours into building. Never used the airbrush.

Let me search my archives for some pix:

Well I found my cache. Let me bore you all with some pix of my faves.

First, some of the Extra 300. Can't tell you how many hours I spent building this kit. Wouldn't be surprised if it was around 100. Damn, it was beautiful. IMO

Son Jake @ approx 9 years is holding it. Wingspan: 68"

Side view - photo shoot on crusty snow only for the effects. This plane did NOT have skis Powered by an OS 91 four stroke

And after the fateful crash. The result of BOTH aileron servo arms malfunctioning. Flat death spin to the earth and pancaked:

-----

And a couple other favorite planes:

GeeBee Dreamer. Wingspan: 38" Engine: .46 OS FP

Started off as a Wild Thing. I "bashed" by adding cowl, canopy, & rear turtle deck and increased control surfaces. Powered by an ASP .46. Wingspan: 48"

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 10-24-2010 at 12:12 PM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

When I was a kid I had at one time about 100 different model airplanes, cars,ships more than I could get into my room.
Being a time before there was a whole lot of TV it was something to keep your mind free and clean, and busy.
I was kind of a busy little guy always had something going.I also remember if you paid more than three or four bucks for a model it was going to be very big.My favorite was aircraft carriers and the B17.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Cool. Nice Planes Da Arch.

If you go on e-bay you can still find new in box (NIB) Monogram models.
I am looking at unbuilt boxes right now on my shelf--The P-47D Razorback.
The P-40B Tiger Shark, the A6M5 Mitsubishi Zero. THe British Spitfire.
And a really odd experimental WWII German Aircraft the Dornier Arrow-Do335, with front and rear engines.

What is really cool is that you can actually buy model paints in the original official Camo colors of the US NAvy, The Luftwaffe, Japanese colors etc.

For Instance:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhorta/jgrlm.htm

or here:

http://www.testors.com/category/1381...rmyNavy_Colors

http://www.jpsmodell.de/katalog/jpsijnaf_e.htm

or here:

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/index.htm

Does anything get cooler than that?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

One more:

Check out this clip:

The zero was an awesome plane. One time there was airshow going on around here, and about maybe a few days beforehand I was raking leaves in the backyard and heard a strange noise in the sky. I looked up and it was a full-blown Japanese Zero straight out of history. With the two rising suns on the wings.

The engine growled like I have never heard. Picture a Harley engine, but 5X the size or more. The pilot hit the gas and I just kept staring long after it was out of sight.

So, you can imagine the challenge the US had at the time to produce a plane that could take the zero on.

In this clip you see the Hellcat, and listen to that supercharger. Awesome!

And the Lightning is beyond category.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View Plushpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I don't think its a coincidence that a lot of painters, carpenters etc. used to do this stuff. I also used to build balsa aeroplanes as a kid, used to enjoy the building at least as much as the flying - or more so. I dunno, maybe it was a '70s thing? If I hire anyone as an employee I ask if they did anything like this as a kid, its a sure sign of someone who's got the knack of using their hands to tinker with things in the physical world

Plushpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plushpaint For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (10-24-2010)
Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Not to get you off track, but look at this time warp.http://i.imgur.com/0WQdA.jpg

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Ahhhhh, The Fork Tailed Devil, (as the Germans called the P-38) was my first favorite plane.

My memory recalls seeing that some RC'er had built the Dornier Do335. Odd looking plane.

Two fabulous books:

Worlds Greatest Aircraft:
http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Aircraft-Christopher-Chant/dp/0785806024/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0
GHOSTS - Vintage Aircraft of World War II:
http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Vintage-Aircraft-World-War/dp/0934738297
Although I do not fly, I love the theory of flight and non-jet aircraft.

An internet friend would go to the Reno Air Races every year and had passes to get up close and personal with the planes and pilots to take some fantastic pictures. I have a CD full of photos by him - Mark Kalio.

We live 90 minutes away from the New England Air Museum. I just wander the grounds in a stupor when I go. Had the opportunity to sit in the cockpit of an F4U. There was nothing comfortable about it. No hydraulics, controls were cables.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
RIP 2017

View VanDamme's Photo Album My Photos

I was in to the RC planes for a few years. Enjoyed building and covering almost as much as flying. Had two planes and radios going all the time.

Graduated to the real thing. Just as much fun as just as expensive! Have about 75 total hours mostly in a C172
VanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VanDamme For This Useful Post:
daArch (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
PinheadsUnite

RC is better because the unscheduled landings only hurt the pocket book

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
RIP 2017

View VanDamme's Photo Album My Photos

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing!
VanDamme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VanDamme For This Useful Post:
daArch (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
PinheadsUnite

My pilots rarely walked away.

I mid-aired three times in one season (all were my fault) and thus won the club's yearly "Dumb Thumb Award".

I strained another through an oak tree. And then there were various figure 9's into the ground. Not to mention the low inverted passes and forgetting that the elevator control was backward - up was down.

I still like flying - with my feet firmly planted on the ground.

We had a couple of commercial airline pilots in the club. They said flying RC was more difficult than being in the cockpit. I can understand that.

"Are we having fun yet"

Tags
None