door jamb painting technique - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View lakesidepainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default door jamb painting technique

Hey everybody i have a question i need advise with i have been painting for about 13 years of and on. and i hired on with a paint crew with a college maintenance dept in the city i live in about a year ago. i like it so far but have an issue with an older painter that i work with he seems to be very knowledgeable about most painting techniques. we have disagreements about how a door jamb should be painted he believes the only way too paint an excisting metal door jambs is to use a 4 inch weenie roller and i have always brushed them with a 3 inch thin brush can i get some input or advise please i always thought that there is no wrong way of doing it. that every painter has different ways. should i just listen to him since he is more experienced and maybe i could learn new stuff. and be open to change or is he wrong and should i just tell him to back off.

Last edited by lakesidepainting; 02-12-2013 at 08:14 PM..
lakesidepainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

Who ever signs my paycheck would be the way I would do it. Brush, Roll or Brush & Roll.
robladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 508
View wills fresh coat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidepainting View Post
Hey everybody i have a question i need advise with i have been painting for about 13 years of and on. and i hired on with a paint crew with a college maintenance dept in the city i live in about a year ago. i like it so far but have an issue with an older painter that i work with he seems to be very knowledgeable about most painting techniques. we have disagreements about how a door jamb should be painted he believes the only way too paint an excisting metal door jambs is to use a 4 inch weenie roller and i have always brushed them with a 3 inch thin brush can i get some input or advise please i always thought that there is no wrong way of doing it. that every painter has different ways. should i just listen to him since he is more experienced and maybe i could learn new stuff. and be open to change or is he wrong and should i just tell him to back off.
You should never be so narrow minded as not to want to learn something new. When I worked in the field It was my goal every day when I went to work to try to learn a new thing every day.
wills fresh coat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wills fresh coat For This Useful Post:
lakesidepainting (02-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

its not that simple he has administration convinced that his way is the only way and there not painters they just listen to what ever he says and my boss is about the same way knows nothing about painting that the way gov jobs are.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 556
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Good employees do as they're told, but you like to question authority... join the club. That’s why many of us start their own business.

Last edited by LA Painter; 02-12-2013 at 09:29 PM..
LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA Painter For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (02-13-2013), AbsolutePainting (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #6

View noldguy's Photo Album My Photos

If you don't mind my 2 cents worth?

I trained with both my father and grand father for years and they each had their own hard and fast "rules" for technique, they would drive a guy nuts, so what I used to like to do was to practice their techniques until I could beat them in both speed and of course quality, didn't have to beat them by much either, once there, I carried on with my own technique.

Have a good time.!
noldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noldguy For This Useful Post:
daArch (02-14-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 83
View jonathanthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like allot of repaint work, I always try to match the existing finish, no matter what it takes.

I painted with a guy who claimed he could paint a door frame with a crow bar.

Though for $50 cash, he did not have his favorite crow bar with him.
jonathanthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Guys that run for the roller are usually the same guys the run for the sprayer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Some upper management guy is busting your bosses balls to get every door frame done in the building by a certain date. The roller helps facilitate faster production times.

But...brushing looks better. I would assume your boss would brush the frames if he were responsible for a higher quality project. You are at a disadvantage because you may not learn some of the required skills to be successful in the painting industry. Hang around here and you will learn a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot

Some upper management guy is busting your bosses balls to get every door frame done in the building by a certain date. The roller helps facilitate faster production times.

But...brushing looks better. I would assume your boss would brush the frames if he were responsible for a higher quality project. You are at a disadvantage because you may not learn some of the required skills to be successful in the painting industry. Hang around here and you will learn a lot.
I agree here.

1. Don't ever stop learning thinking you always know what's right. I find a lot of painters here i findthink they know everything at 5 Years . Truth is once you stop allowing yourself to learn your experience stops. IMHO
2. Try not to get stuck with a company always pushing quantity over quality. If your goal is to learn to be a high end painter you need to work with people that do everything properly and you will pick up their habits
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Techniques will vary. Being you lack the seniority and he essentially seem to be a lead man, best to toe the line and do what they expect from you. imo.

Last edited by Workaholic; 02-14-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
View ROOMINADAY's Photo Album My Photos

I painted 1000's of dorm rooms and miles of hallways at the local University one summer. The rule was do it fast and cheap. Take everything you know and have learned and leave at the door. I did it the way they wanted, in their order and tried to do the more rooms a day then the rest of them...everyday. No time allowed to take off switch plates, pole sand etc.

Hated it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Paint Talk
ROOMINADAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

I'll paint any dorm room any color, as long as it's bone white, for $99.99.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #14

i agree with you some of the inexperienced kids i work with are not learning how to cut in a door with a brush they got them taping and rolling the jambs
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

so what is the right method for painting metal door jambs
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
King Dude

Thanked 5,029 Times in 2,856 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidepainting
The way your boss tells you to.

Truth is there is no wrong way, brush, mini roll, or spray. It depends on the type of job and the customers expectations.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidepainting
Hollow metal frames is what they are called really. Or door bucks. I like to tickle the hollow metal with a two inch or inch and a halve brush on repaints. Brush gets the best coverage and it's just as quick as any other way and I like the brushed look best myself.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,000
View ROOMINADAY's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
I'll paint any dorm room any color, as long as it's bone white, for $99.99.
Oden, you would be driving a BMW paint wagon if that was the rate!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Paint Talk
ROOMINADAY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROOMINADAY For This Useful Post:
caulktheline (02-14-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
so does that mean that spraying is bad on door jambs
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
so does that mean that spraying is bad on door jambs
No, not at all. But its generally not practical. If you have an occupied building or finished floors/walls its painfully slow to try and set up to spray.
What I was driving at is most guys are afraid of a brush. They feel its easier or faster to roll or spray something as simple as a door frame. ( a lot of that comes from lack of experience)
Not all painting is strictly about production.

Ironically, our goal as painters is to make the finish look sprayed even though we brushed it

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None