English painter moving to Naples Fl - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
lee

Rewards Points: 10
View lee's Photo Album My Photos
Default English painter moving to Naples Fl

Hi Guys,

Just a few lines to introduce myself.

My name is Lee and I have been in the painting trade for 36 years, since I was 16, I run a small painting business in the north east of England.

I have run the business since 1989 and have developed a really great customer base working in some of the nicest homes in the area (see photos).

So this is the part where you will all think I'm crazy,because in 18 months (or whenever my green card is processed) we will be moving to beautiful Naples where I hope to eventually set up business.

I know that this is a risky time to move to the States and alot of businesses are struggling but I have waited 12 years to get my green card (my brother is a citizen) so nothing is going to stand in our way now, not even world recession!!!!

I know that it will be a uphill struggle getting established but fortunately we have the finances to tide us over until things take off.

Basically all I'm looking to do is start a one man business doing good quality work for the going rate so hopefully I should be ok.

We vacation in Naples every year and when I've talked to people most of them seem to think that I should'nt have too much trouble.
There is a wealthy element of old people in Naples who are more interested in getting quality work carried out by someone they can trust than someone offering a knockdown price for inferior work in their million dollar plus homes, what do you guy's think?

I am really enjoying reading the posts and there is a wealth of information being shared on the site, keep up the good work.

Lee
lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #2

View UK Painter.'s Photo Album My Photos

All the best geezer, I'm sure you'll do OK...

Iv'e been painting 29 yrs, started when I was 16yrs old. I served a 7yr apprenticeship 3 yrs at a trade college and 4yrs on site working under the constant supervision of master painters....and I am so very gratefull for being able to start my career on such a good footing.
I'm now in business with an American painter, we come from very different painting backgrounds and between us we have everything covered.
We focus on the mid to high-end market, it's been hard work and a long road but we've worked hard and have managed to build up a good name.

This is a brilliant country and the oppotunities are here for you, if you really want to get on you will. I take it upon myself to educate, pass on my knowledge and raise the standard of every painter who works for me ...... I really feel I owe it to America and the American painting industry for all it's afforded me.

Good luck too you....
UK Painter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Last Craftsman's Photo Album My Photos

I wonder what types of things might be different about painting in the two countries.

Different techniques, different products, different tools, different construction style, etc.

Perhaps UK painter can help get you up to speed if there are differences.

If you want to be competetive in larger jobs over here you will need to spray out the trim. From what I understand there is a lot more brushing of everything in Europe.

Over here the competetive and succesful companies spray out the millwork, then cut and roll the walls. (walls are primed before spraying millwork)

You might be able to find high end market painting in occupied homes who dont want any spraying done if spraying is not your forte.

Good Luck.
Last Craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Are you talking new construction only?

Do you spray in an occupied and furnished home?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #5

View UK Painter.'s Photo Album My Photos

Actually there are many differances, spraying being the biggest. I worked for a UK company who did spray a lot so early on in my career I grew to appreciate the level of finishing that can be acheived by spraying if executed properly...but I know over 90% of most UK painter do not spray and have very little if no knowledge.
America is so far a head of the UK in terms of spraying, not just general skills, technique, knowledge etc but also the cost and availability of equipment,products and materials.

For us,regardless of weather the property or home is inhabited or not our first priority is to spray trim or millwork if we can. If It can't be sprayed, if theres absolutely no way then we brush. The time we invest in properly sealing and masking up an area is nothing compared to the time we save by spraying.

Yesterday we sprayed out a panelled ceiling,all the crown,trim and wainscote in an occupied remodel in the west hills...doors etc are removed and finished off site.It's alot of hard work hanging a plastic sheet curtain, completely sealing off all areas, covering all floors, furniture,walls and ceilings to prevents overspray but the results are worth it. You cannot achieve the same finish by brush, especially if you have alot of decorative moulding.
I understand spraying like this may not be for everyone, the homeowner had invested alot of money having the new built-in's, panelled ceiling, wainscote, trim etc made and installed. They made it clear they wanted a flawless finish and were willing to pay for.
UK Painter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Spraying does not bother me. Have run in to many people who don't want it done in thier home. Just surprised.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None