Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

G'day from Norway

4K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  samthedog 
#1 ·
Hello chaps, just saying a warm hello from frosty Norway. I moved here from Australia and am starting my business and want the "good oil" on my areas of business. I will be a ghost member for a while until I feel qualified enough to provide useful posts but don't be shocked if I ask a load of questions. Thanks in advance and keep up the great posts.

samthedog.

#2 ·
Welcome aboard!

Man.. I am jealous... A good part of my family is Norwegian. I have never been there and would like to some day. Friends tease me when I grow my beard out. They say I look like a viking. Not that vikings are Norwegian... I am not for sure... ;)

Good to have you among us. :thumbsup:

J

#4 ·
Cheers for the advice. I am a bit of a forum ***** so I'll stay low until I work out who is who in the community and just ask questions when I can't find the answers using the search function.

Jason: you should take a holiday. Summer in Norway is simply breathtaking. I live 150 yards from a massive lake and am surrounded by snow capped mountains. A big change from dusty Queensland in Australia I can tell you. With that big beard of yours you'll fit in with all the mountain men lurking around here and in the woods :)

#12 ·
Photos!!!

Right, here are some pictures, enjoy!!!

The one below is a view on the way to my wifes work.

Next is the village I live in. My house is in the bottom third, slightly left of the middle (the red house with a black roof for you eagle eyes).

Not sure what the max file size for photos is, if it needs shrinking let me know, although it would be a shame to lose the detail...:whistling2:

#14 · (Edited)
We have deer, moose, plenty of wild ducks and swan. Hundreds of little birds that I don't know the name of. We have a resident fox that visits us most afternoons and a deer that comes and eats my rhubarb. Thats pretty much it. Less individual species than I'm used to in Oz, but no snakes or spiders!! How weird is that?

Unless you mean drunken women looking for flesh....

#16 ·
No we have a cat similar to the lynx here called a gouper. As far as the bears go, I haven't had one go through my trash yet so I wouldn't know. Oh, and there are loads of trout in the river 600yards away from our place. Oh to have the time to fish. Summer temps can reach 35 c but it's not hot as the air is so dry. So dry in fact that I have removed nails from barns that have been there for 75 years and are still shiny. I have never seen that before on an un-galvanized nail.

#17 ·
Wow what a beautiful place to live!!! I've never been to Norway, I grew up right outside of Zurich in Switzerland, it is really green and lush there too, lots of rivers and lakes. Now I live in Northern California, about an hour and a half north of San Francisco in the Wine Country. Not bad either..
It is quite an adventure to move from one country to another and start up a business. I had all the Swiss diplomas and licenses and experience, but once I got here I had to start all over again, none of the Swiss stuff counted! I did manage to get some papers translated and that counted for some of the 5 years experience I had to prove I had, but couldn't get my contractor's license for another couple of years.

Welcome to a great painter's site! (from what I can tell so far, I'm pretty new too..)

Diana

#18 · (Edited)
Hello Purdygirl, I feel your pain regarding starting again. We moved here due to illness in the family and I have been struggling a bit. I have a university degree (science and human movements/sport teacher) and was a professional firefighter prior to moving here and it all counts for naught. Just as well I have a good amount of building/painting experience to fall back on also.

I must say it is very humbling competing with 16 year olds simply because your from another country and your qualifications are not recognized!!! Add the language barrier (I have just completed 6 months of language courses while working) and things get a little crazy. The craziest thing though is stuff that you always assumed was common sense is completely cultural??? For example, a hardware store in Australia has everything from plumbing to electrical. Here everything is bought from a specialty store, and most times they haven't even heard of the item you are looking for and when they find it through a supplier you need to wait while it is delivered.

What did you do to keep your sanity and avoid packing it all in and moving back home?

#19 ·
Well... I had to re-learn a lot of things. In Switzerland I had never heard of Joint Compound and here they use it for everything. One of the reasons I haven't moved back (yet) is because my family is here, kids in school and all that great stuff. I have a nice life here now after 15 years, I wouldn't want to uproot everything and move again. Not yet!!
Good luck to you in Norway. I can imagine moving from Oz to Norway would be quite a crazy change.. I would move to Australia in a heartbeat!! Norway? I dunno.. :) Diana

#20 ·
Beautiful dreamy pics, indeed, Sam. Does the village need another 'master painter'? Or do you need any help?
Seriously, I'd be a very happy man, painting and living in such a place, and be friends with the deers and birds and trees and drunken naked women...:)

#21 ·
Sure Poet, there can never be enough master painters and good Samaritans to help the poor, drunk naked women!!! In fact the village and nearby towns have no decent painters at all (hence why I am filling the void). Also, keep checking this thread as I update the pictures. I will be posting more however have to wait until the sun comes out again. It's started snowing again :)

#26 ·
Mo' pictures

Right , more pictures as promised.

I live in the shadow of the mountain above. Here is another view of it on the way to work:

The next photo is a shot from the actual town. It's located in a valley surrounded by mountains. It's where Hitler chose to produce heavy water for his atom bomb experiments during the second world war.

Enjoy!!! The snow is melting and spring is fast approaching. I can't wait!! Bring on the trout fishing!:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.