Getting started in Detroit - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View vera cadet's Photo Album My Photos

Greetings to all! My name is Angel. I am starting a new painting company near down town Detroit. Both residential/commercial. I am doing a lot of research and Came across this website and thought it is a great idea to sign up. Any advice is appreciated. Any thing from how to actually quote sq.ft, Licenses/certificates, To the best paint sprayer.

Last edited by vera cadet; 11-09-2013 at 02:08 PM..
vera cadet is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

welcome aboard, goodluck to you, lots of useful information here,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
King Dude

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,862 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
RH (11-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera cadet View Post
Greetings to all! My name is Angel. I am starting a new painting company near down town Detroit. Both residential/commercial. I am doing a lot of research and Came across this website and thought it is a great idea to sign up. Any advice is appreciated. Any thing from how to actually quote sq.ft, Licenses/certificates, To the best paint sprayer.
welcome.

I think if you gave a little more info, people may know what level of advice to give you.

How much experience do have in the trade?
Were you just another painter for a company, or had you worked your way up to be a crew leader?
And at what level of expertise did you decide to strike out on your own ?

daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from White Lake.

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 10,206
Thanked 15,353 Times in 8,040 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from out in Oregon.

Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View David's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Cincinnati, Ohio
David's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #8

Thank you everyone. To be honest I never worked in painting, but I know somewhat. I am opening this company because I know a lot of people in my community who are A-1 painters, and they are not being appreciated, or they are getting takin advantage of. They might not have the courage or confidence to start on there own. So I think if I could help them in any way That will be awesome. I am a female, and I think that is going to be a obstacle to overcome. I am a very passionate person and very dedicated in all my work. And construction/painting has always caught my attention. My company is called CADET PAINTING. Cadet means being trained to be that respected person in the military, so by saying that. I mean CADET PAINTING is not just a high quality painting service, but my goal is to train my employees through the process of being a painter. Who they really want to be in life. I understand that painting is not a career, although I know there is a lot of steps you need to learn before you become that A-1 painter. And really they are very simple. Such as taking care of machinery, many people just want to go home at the end of the day, and since its not theres, they just pack up and go. So if I can help them understand by taking a few minutes and cleaning that machine it could last up to 10 years. Supposed to that 1-2 years. My goal is to meet with my teams and have a workshop at see where there at, or where they need help in. keep in mind these are all high quality painter who's motivation is being drained. So basically What I am trying to say is that This company is for my employees to use this painting job to prepare them for there choice of technical career. Even if its another painting co. Hope you all understand where I'm coming from, and join me in helping these amazing people.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thank you everyone. To be honest I never worked in painting, but I know somewhat. I am opening this company because I know a lot of people in my community who are A-1 painters, and they are not being appreciated, or they are getting takin advantage of. They might not have the courage or confidence to start on there own. So I think if I could help them in any way That will be awesome. I am a female, and I think that is going to be a obstacle to overcome. I am a very passionate person and very dedicated in all my work. And construction/painting has always caught my attention. My company is called CADET PAINTING. Cadet means being trained to be that respected person in the military, so by saying that. I mean CADET PAINTING is not just a high quality painting service, but my goal is to train my employees through the process of being a painter. Who they really want to be in life. I understand that painting is not a career, although I know there is a lot of steps you need to learn before you become that A-1 painter. And really they are very simple. Such as taking care of machinery, many people just want to go home at the end of the day, and since its not theres, they just pack up and go. So if I can help them understand by taking a few minutes and cleaning that machine it could last up to 10 years. Supposed to that 1-2 years. My goal is to meet with my teams and have a workshop at see where there at, or where they need help in. keep in mind these are all high quality painter who's motivation is being drained. So basically What I am trying to say is that This company is for my employees to use this painting job to prepare them for there choice of technical career. Even if its another painting co. Hope you all understand where I'm coming from, and join me in helping these amazing people.
Is this for real?????

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-12-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #10

Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera cadet
Painting is not a career?
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Vera,

Don't take this the wrong way, but we here have seen many a person totally inexperienced in the trade come on here and say "I'm going to start a painting company" Some of them have claimed to know something about business, all of them say they know a bunch of great painters who only need direction and structure.

It never has seemed to work out.

There is so much about running a trade business than just having a good heart, good motivation, passion, and good people. One need to get out and LEARN from those with experience. Learn by DOING.

I hate to burst your bubble, and I do wish you all the luck in the world, but I sincerely doubt you will get what you need to be successful from an internet forum. Also, I do not understand how you are going to train people when you have zero experience yourself. How are you going to estimate jobs when you have zero experience at what has to be done or how to talk to a potential customer? These talents aren't learned in books, in classrooms, or on the internet.

again, not trying to be harsh or negative, it's just we've seen this journey before.

daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-12-2013), Rbriggs82 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

You are quite the philanthropist there Cadet! I believe you are every potential customers dream...a guy who doesn't know his numbers with a bunch of "cadet" painters. You may be on to something

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-12-2013), Rbriggs82 (11-10-2013), Rcon (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
To be honest I never worked in painting
Quote:
my goal is to train my employees through the process of being a painter.
Question. How do you plan on being able to "train your employees through the process of being a painter" when you have "never worked in painting"?

Well - nevermind - good luck with that.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #14

View manfrompaint's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the world of paint contracting from Alamo, California. My name is Brad Horton and I would like to introduce you to Painting and Decorating Contractors of America. PDCA has developed a curriculum that Contractors can use to train their emloyees. The Craftsman Operating Procedures, or COPS was developed by Painting Contractors. The most important thing for you to know is how long it takes your crew to accomplish a task so that you can estimate accurately.
Having your employees carrying out the tasks in a uniform manner allows you to quantify their ability compared to national averages..also available from PDCA....and lets you know who's making you money and who's not. This information is best used to incentivise employees and provide milestones of performance upon which salary enhancements can be based. Good luck. Brad
manfrompaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manfrompaint For This Useful Post:
fauxlynn (11-10-2013), vera cadet (11-30-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

I would like to thank all of you painters for keeping me in business for the last 20 years. If you all decided to get a career I would have had to get a real job a long while ago

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr.fixit For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #16

Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to read my thread.
I saw all the interesting responses and I couldn't help but, to laugh. Before I proceed. I just want to let EVERYONE here know that I by any means necessary did NOT mean to disrespect anyone by saying painting is not a career. Being a painter has its Pro's and Con's, for example... Let's say painting is your preferred career. You will have to be 62-70 years to retire. ( take a sec and think about that. (health,physical, and economic wise)
Also NOTE and CHECK OUT everyones profile who posted on this thread. NONE of you guys have "PAINTER" as your occupation. You are all "owners", "contractors" or "project managers".
LMFAO....
Perseverance is key here, I will not give up. HELLO!! I'm not going to start tomorrow! And I might not be successful in one day, nor a week, maybe not even a month, but I will keep getting up and addressing the issue until it is solved. Oh and yup! I'm sure you all seen many companies who wanted to start up something similar to mine. And I sit back and think WHAT DID YOU DO TO TRY AND HELP THEM? WHAT ADVISE DID YOU SHARE? WHAT MOTIVATION BESIDE THAT HYPOCRITICAL "good luck" DID YOU SAY TO HELP THEM OUT? Just me thinking tho... But Feel free to answer those questions to yourself.

Last edited by vera cadet; 11-11-2013 at 11:59 PM..
Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #17

View MKap's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to read my thread.
I saw all the interesting responses and I couldn't help but, to laugh. Before I proceed. I just want to let EVERYONE here know that I by any means necessary did NOT mean to disrespect anyone by saying painting is not a career. Being a painter has its Pro's and Con's, for example... Let's say painting is your preferred career. You will have to be 62-70 years to retire. ( take a sec and think about that. (health,physical, and economic wise)
Also NOTE and CHECK OUT everyones profile who posted on this thread. NONE of you guys have "PAINTER" as your occupation. You are all "owners", "contractors" or "project managers".
LMFAO....
Perseverance is key here, I will not give up. HELLO!! I'm not going to start tomorrow! And I might not be successful in one day, nor a week, maybe not even a month, but I will keep getting up and addressing the issue until it is solved. Oh and yup! I'm sure you all seen many companies who wanted to start up something similar to mine. And I sit back and think WHAT DID YOU DO TO TRY AND HELP THEM? WHAT ADVISE DID YOU SHARE? WHAT MOTIVATION BESIDE THAT HYPOCRITICAL "good luck" DID YOU SAY TO HELP THEM OUT? Just me thinking tho... But Feel free to answer those questions to yourself.
Starting a business in Detroit? Good luck to you.
MKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 47
View SkinnyAdam's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to read my thread. I saw all the interesting responses and I couldn't help but, to laugh. Before I proceed. I just want to let EVERYONE here know that I by any means necessary did NOT mean to disrespect anyone by saying painting is not a career. Being a painter has its Pro's and Con's, for example... Let's say painting is your preferred career. You will have to be 62-70 years to retire. ( take a sec and think about that. (health,physical, and economic wise) Also NOTE and CHECK OUT everyones profile who posted on this thread. NONE of you guys have "PAINTER" as your occupation. You are all "owners", "contractors" or "project managers". LMFAO.... Perseverance is key here, I will not give up. HELLO!! I'm not going to start tomorrow! And I might not be successful in one day, nor a week, maybe not even a month, but I will keep getting up and addressing the issue until it is solved. Oh and yup! I'm sure you all seen many companies who wanted to start up something similar to mine. And I sit back and think WHAT DID YOU DO TO TRY AND HELP THEM? WHAT ADVISE DID YOU SHARE? WHAT MOTIVATION BESIDE THAT HYPOCRITICAL "good luck" DID YOU SAY TO HELP THEM OUT? Just me thinking tho... But Feel free to answer those questions to yourself.
To be successful, your product and service need to be done very fast, very well, or very cheap. Hopefully you find the perfect balance between the three, but based on what you have shared with us it sounds like "fast" and "well" aren't on your side. You will probably (like most of us) have to start out by expressing the "cheap" benefit to your customers...

But that doesn't give you a lot of opportunities to "keep getting up and addressing the issue," when the first job cleans your clock since you had to underbid it because every other guy bidding the job knows his crews and knows his $h!t and the customer knows it.

You asked for advice, my advice is to find a different way to help these guys that won't put you in debt.
SkinnyAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

There's a lot worse things you could be, like a drywaller or an electrician
or... a Texan

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None