This is gonna be SO easy!! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View kaptaink's Photo Album My Photos
Default This is gonna be SO easy!!

Howdy folks,
I thought a compelling title would get my post lots of views...ha, you bit!
I found your group last night and have been glued to the board for hours. I am in my 7th year as a small service business owner. I run a 'outdoor services' company and focus on landscape and tree work. I rarely look outside of my favorite landscaping and arborist forums but I am looking to make some changes this year and that is what brought me here.

My first thought is "Wow, this looks exactly like 'my' forums. Aside from the trade itself, the business questions and answers are pretty much identical. How do I bid? What's the going rate? Should I go door-to-door? I hate lowballers, etc. You could pretty much substitute the word 'landscaper' for 'painter' (or 1,000 other trades) and the small business talk would all look very familiar. I feel like joining in your conversations already, so I thought I'd introduce myself and jump right in.

I've got lots to share, and an interesting story, and after 6+ years of doing lots of things completely backwards, somehow I'm still in business for myself. The stakes are high. This ain't for beer money....I'm a single father with mortgages and college obligations, and a business with high overhead (Boom truck, dump truck, chippers, skid loader, snowplows and all the insurance to go with it). I'll save most of that for now. What I am working on at the moment is trying to fill my biggest gap in work -- Winter. When snow covers the ground for months at a time in Iowa, there just isn't much going on outside. Plowing, firewood, winter tree work, etc. can be a tough gig. So, painting is 1 of 1,000 possibilities and I'm here to explore that option. The first statistic I've read so far says that "98% of painting businesses fail in the 1st year." Hmm, that's even worse than my trade! I was lying in my title. This looks like a guaranteed failure for almost everyone! ;(

Anyway, see you around the board. Looks like lots of great reading!
-KaptainK

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. Glad to have your input. Nevermind the naysayers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. Have your ever painted ?
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
Welcome. Have your ever painted ?
Yes. That being said, I think knowing how to paint covers about 2% of what it takes to be successful in a painting business. Agreed?
P.S. I love your tagline. I'm going to adopt that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to kaptaink For This Useful Post:
Lambrecht (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptaink View Post
Yes. That being said, I think knowing how to paint covers about 2% of what it takes to be successful in a painting business. Agreed?
No
The Following User Says Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
No
I'll tell you why I say that. I'm a great landscaper. That seems to have very little to do with being successful with my landscaping company. The actual work is generally very easy for me, I have a great close ratio, and a great hourly gross. None of that makes running a business easy for me. The # of billable hours in a week is always the struggle for me. Getting that phone to ring consistently, managing cash flow, equipment, OH, employees, taxes, insurance all take lots of time and none of that falls under 'billable hours'. So...while I thought I knew plenty when I started, I now think being a great landscaper qualifies me to be a $10/hr landscaper....not a business owner. Luckily I've got some other skills going for me...i guess I was not at all surprised that one of the first Q's was "have you ever painted?" I was just reacting to that Q and trying to make the point that having experience is a very tiny step towards successfully running a business.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Glad to have you around. So your looking for another buisness venture?? keep us posted, ever think of vending machines?? painting has a pretty steep learning curve imo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
"Member"

Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post any landscaping related topics on our sister site www.contractortalk.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.contractortalk.com

If your not already a member of contractortalk.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.contractortalk.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
daArch (01-29-2011), Different Strokes (01-29-2011), ProWallGuy (01-29-2011), RCP (01-29-2011), Wolfgang (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

This forum is for PC's and for people that are full time in the paint industry not for potential painters, there is already a site for that and it is www.DIYChatroom.com Where they can polish their skills while learning the basics. When you decide to take the plunge and become a professional I recommend you hire on under someone so that you can properly put some time under your belt and learn how to properly become a professional.

You are welcome back when you do this for a living and as a lurker there are some good business and marketing threads that could benefit your landscaping business and feel free to lurk.
Look into www.DIYChatroom.com for your painting needs and www.contractortalk.com can aid in your landscape business. This thread is closed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Workaholic; 01-29-2011 at 01:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
straight_lines (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 128
Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,795 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Hey, NEPS. Stop stealing our thunder! Impersonating a moderator is a capital offense or something, I think. At least it should be. Maybe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?!?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
"Member"

HEY! You mod's stay out of my locked threads!!!!!!!!!!!

This should do it:
Attached Thumbnails
This is gonna be SO easy!!-bicycle_security_lock.jpg  

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
Bender (01-29-2011), CApainter (01-29-2011), RCP (01-29-2011), ReNt A PaInTeR (01-29-2011), Schmidt & Co. (01-29-2011), Wolfgang (01-29-2011), Workaholic (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 128
Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,795 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Man, security is getting lax around here

This better do it.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

lol Chris you are an inspiration to all reading this thread.
Closed Thread