Graduated from residential - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunfire
  • 1 Post By Fman
  • 2 Post By futtyos
  • 2 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 2 Post By futtyos

Old 05-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

View Sunfire's Photo Album My Photos
Default Graduated from residential

Hey guys and gals . My name is kari aka Sunfire. I've basically been painting my entire life with a degree in arts.I started out painting wall murals then moved to residential, I recently just finished painting a 5 story hotel on the beach myself but got screwed out of the deal because I was helping a friend at just an hourly rate. So I've decided to go into business for myself, since i now know what my full capabilities and worth are. Im looking to join this site to better understand the whole bidding process, especially with a new opportunity in the works. I need to send a proposal for a 2 story 130 room hotel for just the exterior. 28,000 squarefeet. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! I look forward to this group!
Wolfgang likes this.
Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunfire For This Useful Post:
fauxlynn (06-02-2018), Wolfgang (05-30-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

View Sunfire's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the advice
Attached Thumbnails
Graduated from residential-capture-_2018-05-13-20-41-51_1527691201247.png  

Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,946
Thanked 9,669 Times in 5,508 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

where's your harness ?
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanked 1,053 Times in 684 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

The GC lets you paint in non-OSHA shoes and no hardhat, on a lift? I don't buy it.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,968
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
Thanks for the advice
Looking good but, gotta say no to the shorts and, yeah, you need more combat-ready boots for commercial work. Harnesses suck to wear but, if you've ever rode a lift down (or come close like I have) you'd be very glad you were not thrown clear. Dressing for success is part of the game though and should be your first step forward.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Fman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 190
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,823 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I don't do commercial work, but I would break it down the same that I would for any estimate. You will need to use a production rate that you know you can maintain and use that to calculate the man-hours for the job. Build some cushion into the lift rental for weather, lift rentals are pricy. The wage per hour you use, you will need to figure out. I do not know what your area is like. But, make sure you are covering things like your office work time, tool costs, vehicles costs, etc that you have.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,868
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting outfit

Quote:
Thanks for the advice
I never thought I would see another painter who dresses exactly like I do!

futtyos os os os os
Fman and Brushman4 like this.
futtyos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by futtyos View Post
I never thought I would see another painter who dresses exactly like I do!

futtyos os os os os

I bet you have a GARDZ tattoo.
slinger58 and Brushman4 like this.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #9

I try to avoid a wide stance, like pictured above. My duster gets a little tight in the back pocket.
futtyos likes this.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Default Gardz tatoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I bet you have a GARDZ tattoo.
Yes, on my bald head.

futtyos
CApainter and Brushman4 like this.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,334
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

When wearing shorts, no-show socks are the only way to go!
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #12

Default contract

Quote:
Hey guys and gals . My name is kari aka Sunfire. I've basically been painting my entire life with a degree in arts.I started out painting wall murals then moved to residential, I recently just finished painting a 5 story hotel on the beach myself but got screwed out of the deal because I was helping a friend at just an hourly rate. So I've decided to go into business for myself, since i now know what my full capabilities and worth are. Im looking to join this site to better understand the whole bidding process, especially with a new opportunity in the works. I need to send a proposal for a 2 story 130 room hotel for just the exterior. 28,000 squarefeet. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! I look forward to this group!
Sunfire, don't be deterred by all the joking. Good to see someone striking out on their own. As far as you getting screwed out of the deal above by working at an hourly rate, I would say that if this is what you and your friend contracted for, then it was fair.

At this point you have a better idea of what you think you are worth and whether or not you want to work for yourself or for someone else.

First off, I am wondering what area of Paint Talk would be best to post your thread/query on the commercial bidding process.

I would think that it would be best for you to post a thread under the Business section of Paint Talk.

When you do, it might be good to mention specific areas that you have questions about. I will leave others to make any suggestions for you.

futtyos
The Following User Says Thank You to futtyos For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 382
Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,490 Posts
View fauxlynn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Well congrats on going out on your own! It’s exciting and a little scary.

Along with the solid advice Dean gave, let me add to keep in mind to really give some extra room in the numbers to account for things out of your control. For example, I have found that the more helpers I have the less work I actually do because I spend more time than I would like babysitting. The problem with that is nobody works harder on you’re project than you.

The only other thing I can think of to add is to list exclusions. Be specific or things might come back to bite you.
I had one guy years back tell me he always left room for doing everything twice; they mostly bid government work.

Good luck
Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 24
View Drew007's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dang...

Quote:
You lucky dog!
Drew007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 24
View Drew007's Photo Album My Photos
Default Thats good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I don't do commercial work, but I would break it down the same that I would for any estimate. You will need to use a production rate that you know you can maintain and use that to calculate the man-hours for the job. Build some cushion into the lift rental for weather, lift rentals are pricy. The wage per hour you use, you will need to figure out. I do not know what your area is like. But, make sure you are covering things like your office work time, tool costs, vehicles costs, etc that you have.
Yep, you think alot like i do.
Drew007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None