Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Greatings from Norway

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mistcoat 
#1 · (Edited)
I stumbled onto this site after looking for some info about Graco's Finish Pro 9.5

As you can see from the title, I'm Norwegian.
I've been a professional painter for almost 26 years. I've had a few other occupations during this time but its impossible to escape this profession.
Once a painter, always a painter :thumbsup: You always get phone calls from friends and family and old customers.
Come to think of it, I think I enjoyed being a painter more when I wasn't going at it full time. You can afford to say no and pick the side jobs you like doing.

I've been back in the saddle now for the last 10 years. Had a year down time in the middle as I was diagnosed with RSI or CDT disorder.
But treatment and rest helped. I will probably never be 100% painless but I can better cope with it now as I have changed my work methods.
Less brute force, more machinery, and products that are lighter and more fluid to apply helps a lot.

I'm a self employed contractor. I work alone most of the time, but I'll hire help, or collaborate with others on large projects.
Ca 80% of my work is interior decorating in peoples private house or apartments. The last 20% is usually restoring old wood houses outside in the summer.

The best part of being a painter for me, is the satisfaction from making people happy with the result and my work.
Although I've been painting more or less for 26 years I consider my skills limited since my field of expertise and the products I've used, have roughly been the same all those years.

If there's a new tool invented or somebody found a smarter way doing the old stuff. It was probably invented in US.

So I came here to learn :yes:

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello from the UK, Jotun.

Are you a paint contractor or do you work for Jotun Europe? ... Are you related to the company???
Not used the paints yet, but heard good reports of Jotun products thru being a member of the Painting and Decorating Association in the UK and it's journals.
Also Jotun has won THE EIFFEL TOWER REPAINT IN FRANCE

All good stuff and welcome :thumbsup:

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks Miscoat.

No I'm not associated with Jotun. Its just me myself and I ;)
I picked the user name because I know they sell paint all over the world.
Jotun has been my favorite brand for most part of my painting years, not so much any more, at least for many of the everyday products we use.
Everybody seams to put more and more thinner into the paint, Jotun included.

New and improved, down the road = 1 more coat of paint.
On the chicken farm they're doing the opposite, instead of taking things out they are putting things in.
Hmm.. let's see how much hormone grain we can stuff that chicken with. They wont stop until it self implodes under its own weight and turns into a black hole.

;)

#11 ·
Thanks.
I'm here to learn not teach ;)
I don't understand yet, much of the English terms for what we do. But I'm catching up.

If there's any knowledge I can contribute with, I will be happy too.
But I think I will read some more before I speak, if not I'm afraid I'm going to make as much sense as the Swedish cook in Muppet show.

Just kidding, most of my paint work is rather simple.
Even "Joe The Plumber" could do it, just not as fast and pretty :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.