Greetings from Southern Indiana - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View 1SlowSS's Photo Album My Photos
Default Greetings from Southern Indiana

Hi There guys, I'm Jordan; I started painting in the Auto Body Repair industry when I was 16, I kept bugging them till they eventually gave in and let me try and I've been doing it ever since. I had been wanting to go into business for myself for years, but I never really did anything about it, till about 3 months ago I decided it was now or never, so I quit and now I'm attempting to make it on my own. So I figured I'd get on here and try to learn what I can from you guys, hopefully I don't irritate you guys too much with dumb questions haha.
I forgot to mention that I'm doing mostly industrial jobs now, not auto body

Last edited by 1SlowSS; 10-23-2014 at 12:15 PM..
1SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 7,342
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT Jordan!

Dan

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group. There is tons of helpful info in older threads.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
King Dude

Thanked 5,154 Times in 2,961 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard!

-Ryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #5

Thanks guys, it seems that this message board is geared mostly to painting buildings and stuff like that, I'm painting heavy equipment and things like that right now, is anybody else on here doing anything like that?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We are a bunch of house painters. Some commercial, residential, and so on.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,966
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome 1SlowSS!

I'm employed as an industrial maintenance painter. I don't know anything about running a business, but feel free to bounce some industrial coating ideas in here.

Have you used any poly siloxanes? I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide if you have.

Thanks,

John
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #8

Well that's cool, I know nothing about that kind of painting at all, if you saw my house you would agree with me haha. As far as the polysiloxane goes, I do believe I sprayed some waterborne primer that was polysiloxane, I didn't really pay it any special attention, I sprayed it on some parts for a boat the rudders were done in coal tar epoxy and some other misc parts were in some waterborne PPG stuff that was polysiloxane as I recall, that's about all the input I could really give you, I do seem to recall that I was having issues with it flashing too quickly but I believe that was due to the lack of humidity not the product itself
The Following User Says Thank You to 1SlowSS For This Useful Post:
CApainter (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

Thanks for the feed back.

I will be using the PPG PSX 700 as soon as it arrives from Timbucktoo. Need to discuss quicker availability of that product with my supplier..
Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

Cool, what will you be painting with the PSX? The 1 account I have right now is painting for a mechanic shop that rebuilds heavy equipment from a rock quarry, so I get all kinds of random things, I'm going to go paint a couple of transmissions for an end dump after lunch. It's a pretty good setup because they furnish me a shop with a sandblast room, a massive spray booth, and a fork truck to move everything around, they have all the product there already so I just have to show up and paint. I just wish I stayed busier there
The Following User Says Thank You to 1SlowSS For This Useful Post:
CApainter (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SlowSS View Post
Cool, what will you be painting with the PSX? The 1 account I have right now is painting for a mechanic shop that rebuilds heavy equipment from a rock quarry, so I get all kinds of random things, I'm going to go paint a couple of transmissions for an end dump after lunch. It's a pretty good setup because they furnish me a shop with a sandblast room, a massive spray booth, and a fork truck to move everything around, they have all the product there already so I just have to show up and paint. I just wish I stayed busier there
Nice arrangement!

I have some PSX 700 (Safety Yellow) in my paint storage that I've had for a year in preparation for a couple of exterior jib cranes I was planning on coating. However, the job was never scheduled and I'm stuck with several gallons of yellow. The recent order of PSX is for metal handrails and various piping for non ferrous and ferrous metls. These projects are a go.

I recently coated a stair structure and handrail with Devoe 379 polyurethane. I had to brush and roll it, and it was miserable the way it was setting up and dragging. It didn't even allow close to the pot life suggested in the TDS. I had so many hairs yanked off my weenie roller sleeve and imbedded into the coating on the hand rail, that when it dried, it was like rubbing your hand over non skid with nickle slag as a media aggregate.

Last edited by CApainter; 10-24-2014 at 11:52 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
1SlowSS (11-15-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 85
View Twpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from Florida!

Twpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SlowSS View Post
Thanks guys, it seems that this message board is geared mostly to painting buildings and stuff like that, I'm painting heavy equipment and things like that right now, is anybody else on here doing anything like that?
Welcome to the forum Jordan, there used to be some industrial coating participants. Some industrial equipment, water towers and such. Do some creative searches and see what you come up with.

Search https://www.painttalk.com/members/painter213-2549/ and feel free to send a pm he is very professional and knowledgeable.

There are a couple other names I wish I could recall for you but they are probably older archived threads and posts but still good info.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
1SlowSS (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #14

Thanks for all the welcomes and helpful info guys; I haven't been on in a while, got side tracked but anyway, I snapped a few pictures the other day when I was there just to give an idea what kind of stuff I'm doing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1SlowSS For This Useful Post:
RH (11-15-2014), ridesarize (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 60
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None