Hello - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2016, 04:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 60
View PaintMaker's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take the time to say hello and let you know how happy I am to find a place where people speak my language, that's about surface coatings not specifically English.

I started out in this industry as a house painter and as things didn't work out one way or another I ended up working for a manufacturer, in the factory and boy what a messy job that can be.

Anyway I ended up working my way up in that company and now I am involved in all things surface coatings, I cannot get enough.

I look forward to a few good yarns and to head of any questions about the company I work for, I am not here to market them and if possible would prefer not to mention them by name as I wouldn't want people misreading any of my posts and thinking it was the companies opinion rather than my own.
PaintMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,982
Thanked 9,671 Times in 5,510 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!

Have you had any experience with polysiloxane, and why is it so expensive?
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
King Dude

Rewards Points: 12
Thanked 5,158 Times in 2,965 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

welcome aboard!
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Welcome!

Have you had any experience with polysiloxane, and why is it so expensive?
I have worked with a wide range of Polysiloxane based surfactants, as to why they are so expensive it can be attributed to many factors.

Proprietary technology
Development costs
Concentrated product (100% actives)
International freight (At least for us and the technology we use)

Generally these surfactants make up less than 2% of a total formulation, it's all about scales of economy.

That's my experience polysiloxane surfactants anyway, unless you are referring to some other silicone technology?

I hope that answer is suitable.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 408
Thanked 15,586 Times in 8,226 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group. Always good to have some input from someone who is on the other side of the bucket.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,982
Thanked 9,671 Times in 5,510 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintMaker View Post
I have worked with a wide range of Polysiloxane based surfactants, as to why they are so expensive it can be attributed to many factors.

Proprietary technology
Development costs
Concentrated product (100% actives)
International freight (At least for us and the technology we use)

Generally these surfactants make up less than 2% of a total formulation, it's all about scales of economy.

That's my experience polysiloxane surfactants anyway, unless you are referring to some other silicone technology? I hope that answer is suitable.
I'm presuming a surfactant is one of many components in a coating. I'm referring to a two component, chemically cured, thermoset plastic coating. Specifically, PPG's PSX700 Polysiloxane, which by the way, has an incredibly quick cure to handle window, along with an amazingly UV resistant gloss finish. And there is no window for recoating with same product.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I'm presuming a surfactant is one of many components in a coating. I'm referring to a two component, chemically cured, thermoset plastic coating. Specifically, PPG's PSX700 Polysiloxane, which by the way, has an incredibly quick cure to handle window, along with an amazingly UV resistant gloss finish. And there is no window for recoating with same product.
To answer your first direct question, yes they are silicone based additives that can be used to modify certain properties of a paint, such as surface tension of a rolled film or to prevent foam from forming during manufacture there are thousands of varieties and they all work differently in different coatings.

As for the PPG PSX700 it is a unique and patented product, it also comes at 90% solids by volume so unless it is jam packed full of cheap fillers that will add to the cost straight away, if you can find an alternative from another manufacturer that performs as well under all of the same conditions and is still silicone technology I would be impressed, that being said I do know that Nuplex Resins have made leaps and bounds in the direction of UV stable epoxy coatings but the specific technology is widely different.

Silicone technology is complicated and often incredibly well engineered thus it always comes with a high price, look at some of the DOW silicone resins resins, they sell for >$70/kg

I hope that helps you better understand the costs of certain products and I would encourage you to do some research on silicone/siloxane paint technology as it may help you better understand the product you are working with.

Now can you start your own thread and let me use this one to introduce myself please?
The Following User Says Thank You to PaintMaker For This Useful Post:
CApainter (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Welcome to the group. Always good to have some input from someone who is on the other side of the bucket.
Thanks RH

It was quite a transition from applicator to manufacturing, sales, laboratory and now sadly I am 100% off the tools and I ride a desk.

But I have seen allot of the industry.

Tags
None