Hello - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 1 Post By CApainter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
MFS Exhaust Hood Cleaning
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sanford, Florida
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View Exhaust's Photo Album My Photos
Post Hello

Glad to be here! I'm into the exhaust hood cleaning business. Looking forward to sharing insights with you all.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
Kev D.
 
finishesbykevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 1,846
Rewards Points: 1,485
Thanks: 455
Thanked 241 Times in 209 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Umm..wrong forum? On another note. You can make a living just cleaning people's exaust hoods. Like over the stove? Interesting..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,471
Rewards Points: 7,350
Thanks: 11,954
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Umm..wrong forum? On another note. You can make a living just cleaning people's exaust hoods. Like over the stove? Interesting..
Probably commercial work - restaurants, hotels, schools, etc..
Brushman4 likes this.
__________________
“Getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery.”

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 3,220
Thanks: 104
Thanked 332 Times in 300 Posts
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Umm..wrong forum? On another note. You can make a living just cleaning people's exaust hoods. Like over the stove? Interesting..
Grease fires are a major cause in restaurants.
https://www.eater.com/2018/9/6/17820...ses-prevention
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushman4 For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (12-11-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,914
Rewards Points: 2,968
Thanks: 11,237
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Welcome. We have a member called Pressure Pros that mentioned EF cleaning as part of a pressure washing outfit's tasks.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View silb's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Great to have another person with automotive experience here! What are you driving?

Thanks,

Chris
silb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
Kev D.
 
finishesbykevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 1,846
Rewards Points: 1,485
Thanks: 455
Thanked 241 Times in 209 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I get it, but still don't see how it anyway affiliates with the painting industry..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Probably commercial work - restaurants, hotels, schools, etc..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,295
Rewards Points: 5,866
Thanks: 3,980
Thanked 4,614 Times in 2,567 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I get it, but still don't see how it anyway affiliates with the painting industry..?

It doesn't, but we get this every now and again. They've been logged out since 4 minutes after their first post. This thread will likely drift off out of sight in time.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,914
Rewards Points: 2,968
Thanks: 11,237
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I get it, but still don't see how it anyway affiliates with the painting industry..?
I think the connection is the pressure washing. And frankly, pressure washing has more to do with painting than even faux finishing does. But we warmly welcome our resident faux finishers.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 892
Rewards Points: 6
Thanks: 167
Thanked 287 Times in 229 Posts
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I think the connection is the pressure washing. And frankly, pressure washing has more to do with painting than even faux finishing does. But we warmly welcome our resident faux finishers.
Some of the more unusual client requests when in business involved exhaust hoods.

Just to name a few..one involved hunting down and changing out a discontinued exhaust fan/motor that sounded nearly identical to Alex Van Halen’s double bass intro on “Hot for Teacher” when turned on, installing dampers on a couple of occasions, troubleshooting water leaks at roof penetrations, repairing scratches and re-graining brushed stainless steel, hunting down and changing out grease trap filters and/or missing parts. Also had clients regularly requesting us to clean and polish metal hoods when refinishing kitchens.

One of the more recent requests when refinishing a kitchen was a client deferring to her painter (me) to bring in an architect to design a mixed metal range hood, and then outsource the fabrication to one of my artisan metalsmiths, the existing hood detracting from the newly refurbished cabinets. A conservative guess is that exhaust hoods accounted well in excess of $30K in revenues the past ten years.

One range hood request even resulted in being hired to perform a nut and bolt restoration of an antique South Bend commercial hotel range/oven, having sent out all the nickel plated steel components and porcelain finished castings for replating and re-porcelainizing, repacking the oven with new insulation, reworking all the gas fittings, media blasting and refinishing the painted components. When finished, it looked like a museum quality restoration. Shortly after completion, the architect hired me to do 2 more on another home.

Anything to make money and keep the clients happy and calling back, exhaust hoods being one of them.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
Kev D.
 
finishesbykevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 1,846
Rewards Points: 1,485
Thanks: 455
Thanked 241 Times in 209 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I think the connection is the pressure washing. And frankly, pressure washing has more to do with painting than even faux finishing does. But we warmly welcome our resident faux finishers.
Wow. That's a pretty bold stement. From what I recall, faux finishing was part of the painting decorating course I took to get my Red Seal. I certainly don't remember exaust cleaning.
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Kev D.
 
finishesbykevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 1,846
Rewards Points: 1,485
Thanks: 455
Thanked 241 Times in 209 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
Some of the more unusual client requests when in business involved exhaust hoods.

Just to name a few..one involved hunting down and changing out a discontinued exhaust fan/motor that sounded nearly identical to Alex Van Halen’s double bass intro on “Hot for Teacher” when turned on, installing dampers on a couple of occasions, troubleshooting water leaks at roof penetrations, repairing scratches and re-graining brushed stainless steel, hunting down and changing out grease trap filters and/or missing parts. Also had clients regularly requesting us to clean and polish metal hoods when refinishing kitchens.

One of the more recent requests when refinishing a kitchen was a client deferring to her painter (me) to bring in an architect to design a mixed metal range hood, and then outsource the fabrication to one of my artisan metalsmiths, the existing hood detracting from the newly refurbished cabinets. A conservative guess is that exhaust hoods accounted well in excess of $30K in revenues the past ten years.

One range hood request even resulted in being hired to perform a nut and bolt restoration of an antique South Bend commercial hotel range/oven, having sent out all the nickel plated steel components and porcelain finished castings for replating and re-porcelainizing, repacking the oven with new insulation, reworking all the gas fittings, media blasting and refinishing the painted components. When finished, it looked like a museum quality restoration. Shortly after completion, the architect hired me to do 2 more on another home.

Anything to make money and keep the clients happy and calling back, exhaust hoods being one of them.
I totally agree. The whole construction trade is intermingled really. You pick up skills along the way. I'm a Red Sealed Painter which is known internationally.
However, I also install crown moulding, wallpaper and do taping and mudding, siding and carpentry.
It's nice to be diversified. It keeps me busy and keeps life interesting.
I can do repaints in my sleep so much enjoy new challenges. Welcome exaust guy.
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,914
Rewards Points: 2,968
Thanks: 11,237
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Wow. That's a pretty bold stement. From what I recall, faux finishing was part of the painting decorating course I took to get my Red Seal. I certainly don't remember exaust cleaning.
To tell the truth, I really don't know how industrial kitchen duct cleaning is performed with a steam cleaning pressure washer. But the member I mentioned, Pressure Pro, has a business that specifically does pressure washing, and I'm certain he mentioned duct cleaning.

As far as pressure washing and faux finishing, I've probably done 900 times more pressure washing than I've done faux finishing. Which reminds me of the handful of times I've painted walls in preparation for a faux finisher. It wasn't a great experience working with the decorator.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exhaust hood cleaning, hood cleaning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com