Hello - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 1 Post By CApainter

Old 12-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
MFS Exhaust Hood Cleaning

Rewards Points: 2
View Exhaust's Photo Album My Photos
Post Hello

Glad to be here! I'm into the exhaust hood cleaning business. Looking forward to sharing insights with you all.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,485
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Umm..wrong forum? On another note. You can make a living just cleaning people's exaust hoods. Like over the stove? Interesting..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 7,350
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Umm..wrong forum? On another note. You can make a living just cleaning people's exaust hoods. Like over the stove? Interesting..
Probably commercial work - restaurants, hotels, schools, etc..
Brushman4 likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Grease fires are a major cause in restaurants.
https://www.eater.com/2018/9/6/17820...ses-prevention
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushman4 For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (12-11-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,968
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. We have a member called Pressure Pros that mentioned EF cleaning as part of a pressure washing outfit's tasks.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 44
View silb's Photo Album My Photos

Great to have another person with automotive experience here! What are you driving?

Thanks,

Chris
silb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
Kev D.

I get it, but still don't see how it anyway affiliates with the painting industry..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Probably commercial work - restaurants, hotels, schools, etc..
Old 12-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,866
Thanked 4,614 Times in 2,567 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I get it, but still don't see how it anyway affiliates with the painting industry..?

It doesn't, but we get this every now and again. They've been logged out since 4 minutes after their first post. This thread will likely drift off out of sight in time.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
I think the connection is the pressure washing. And frankly, pressure washing has more to do with painting than even faux finishing does. But we warmly welcome our resident faux finishers.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I think the connection is the pressure washing. And frankly, pressure washing has more to do with painting than even faux finishing does. But we warmly welcome our resident faux finishers.
Some of the more unusual client requests when in business involved exhaust hoods.

Just to name a few..one involved hunting down and changing out a discontinued exhaust fan/motor that sounded nearly identical to Alex Van Halen’s double bass intro on “Hot for Teacher” when turned on, installing dampers on a couple of occasions, troubleshooting water leaks at roof penetrations, repairing scratches and re-graining brushed stainless steel, hunting down and changing out grease trap filters and/or missing parts. Also had clients regularly requesting us to clean and polish metal hoods when refinishing kitchens.

One of the more recent requests when refinishing a kitchen was a client deferring to her painter (me) to bring in an architect to design a mixed metal range hood, and then outsource the fabrication to one of my artisan metalsmiths, the existing hood detracting from the newly refurbished cabinets. A conservative guess is that exhaust hoods accounted well in excess of $30K in revenues the past ten years.

One range hood request even resulted in being hired to perform a nut and bolt restoration of an antique South Bend commercial hotel range/oven, having sent out all the nickel plated steel components and porcelain finished castings for replating and re-porcelainizing, repacking the oven with new insulation, reworking all the gas fittings, media blasting and refinishing the painted components. When finished, it looked like a museum quality restoration. Shortly after completion, the architect hired me to do 2 more on another home.

Anything to make money and keep the clients happy and calling back, exhaust hoods being one of them.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
Kev D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Wow. That's a pretty bold stement. From what I recall, faux finishing was part of the painting decorating course I took to get my Red Seal. I certainly don't remember exaust cleaning.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Kev D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
Some of the more unusual client requests when in business involved exhaust hoods.

Just to name a few..one involved hunting down and changing out a discontinued exhaust fan/motor that sounded nearly identical to Alex Van Halen’s double bass intro on “Hot for Teacher” when turned on, installing dampers on a couple of occasions, troubleshooting water leaks at roof penetrations, repairing scratches and re-graining brushed stainless steel, hunting down and changing out grease trap filters and/or missing parts. Also had clients regularly requesting us to clean and polish metal hoods when refinishing kitchens.

One of the more recent requests when refinishing a kitchen was a client deferring to her painter (me) to bring in an architect to design a mixed metal range hood, and then outsource the fabrication to one of my artisan metalsmiths, the existing hood detracting from the newly refurbished cabinets. A conservative guess is that exhaust hoods accounted well in excess of $30K in revenues the past ten years.

One range hood request even resulted in being hired to perform a nut and bolt restoration of an antique South Bend commercial hotel range/oven, having sent out all the nickel plated steel components and porcelain finished castings for replating and re-porcelainizing, repacking the oven with new insulation, reworking all the gas fittings, media blasting and refinishing the painted components. When finished, it looked like a museum quality restoration. Shortly after completion, the architect hired me to do 2 more on another home.

Anything to make money and keep the clients happy and calling back, exhaust hoods being one of them.
I totally agree. The whole construction trade is intermingled really. You pick up skills along the way. I'm a Red Sealed Painter which is known internationally.
However, I also install crown moulding, wallpaper and do taping and mudding, siding and carpentry.
It's nice to be diversified. It keeps me busy and keeps life interesting.
I can do repaints in my sleep so much enjoy new challenges. Welcome exaust guy.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Wow. That's a pretty bold stement. From what I recall, faux finishing was part of the painting decorating course I took to get my Red Seal. I certainly don't remember exaust cleaning.
To tell the truth, I really don't know how industrial kitchen duct cleaning is performed with a steam cleaning pressure washer. But the member I mentioned, Pressure Pro, has a business that specifically does pressure washing, and I'm certain he mentioned duct cleaning.

As far as pressure washing and faux finishing, I've probably done 900 times more pressure washing than I've done faux finishing. Which reminds me of the handful of times I've painted walls in preparation for a faux finisher. It wasn't a great experience working with the decorator.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

Tags
exhaust hood cleaning, hood cleaning