Hello All - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By Pete Martin the Painter
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82

Old 11-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56
View Lynchburg's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello All

My name is Patrick and I am a full time health and pe teacher who has been painting on the side for 15 years. I started as I worked for a professional through college and then continued to keep doing side jobs after. I am now at the point where I am considering quitting teaching to paint full time. I have been lucky and have made connections with local realtors and stagers and they keep me as busy as I can handle. I was just listed as one of the 3 painting contractors they prefer in their monthly newsletter.

I have been doing a lot of kitchen cabinets recently and I look forward to learning some tips from those here. I am in the Yorktown area of Virginia
Lynchburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 7,350
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

From another retired teacher who also painted summers and then went full time after retiring; just think carefully about giving up your current health and retirement benefits (as paltry as they may or may not be) and how you will replace them as a painter.

Oh, and welcome to the group.

Dan

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 56
View Lynchburg's Photo Album My Photos

That is the talk my wife and I have been having. I am on her insurance but the retirement I get is what is holding me back, that and I really like my teaching job and school. Plus with the side money from painting combine with my teaching salary I actually make a real adult salary lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
From another retired teacher who also painted summers and then went full time after retiring; just think carefully about giving up your current health and retirement benefits (as paltry as they may or may not be) and how you will replace them as a painter.

Oh, and welcome to the group.

Dan
Lynchburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynchburg For This Useful Post:
RH (11-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 7,350
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
That is the talk my wife and I have been having. I am on her insurance but the retirement I get is what is holding me back, that and I really like my teaching job and school. Plus with the side money from painting combine with my teaching salary I actually make a real adult salary lol
Well, if you like teaching, and can afford to keep doing it, I would just advise to continue looking at all the pros and cons before jumping ship.
Personally, I liked the mix of teaching and painting as they were complete opposites of each other: painting has a definite start and stopping point, as opposed to teaching where there is always more to do and further to go (not considering the calendar limitations).
When painting you can see your accomplishments, not always so in teaching.
When a painting job is complete (generally in a week or two) you collect your check and move on the the next job. Not the case in teaching.
Yes, there is the occasional PITA customer, but nothing compared to how some parents, students, fellow staffers, and admin can be.

Of course teaching has it’s pluses too as you are fully aware of.

There are some good permanent threads (stickies) in the PT business sub-forum about becoming a painting contractor. I would suggest you read some of them if you already haven’t.
Lynchburg likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Lynchburg (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 230
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I second the "keep teaching" arguement. That is if you like teaching and are making good money at it, or at least better money than you would earn painting.

I used to teach high school and middle school social studies. I do not miss teaching. I burned out real fast. That said, painting is hard on the body. I am turning 50 soon, in very good shape, and have been painting for 7 years on my own. I am currently trying to figure out how to move away from exterior work and maybe in the next few years even totally leaving the profession. The reason for this is at the end of the day I am exhausted. My shoulders hurt and my muscles are stiff. I like painting but it is beating me up.

If you do decide to leave teaching try to avoid working on big exteriors. Do the smaller and easier stuff, or better yet only do interiors.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk
Lynchburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
Lynchburg (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,968
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Having a spouse that contributes income and health benefits, certainly makes the prospect of self employment more feasible. Especially, if painting and small business ownership interests you.
Lynchburg likes this.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Lynchburg (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
King Dude

Rewards Points: 10
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,962 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

The health insurance is a biggie. I get it through my wife who's a rn without her working I'd have to seriously consider my options.

If I were you and I liked teaching I'd continue and keep painting as a side/summer gig.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Lynchburg likes this.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Lynchburg (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 210
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

My wife and I are both self employed. I'm paying about 1100/mo for health insurance for us and a 1 year old.

It's pretty expensive in my estimation, but it's not so much that you shouldn't be able to include in general overhead expense.

If you divvy it out hourly, you should charge about 10 bucks more for a sole proprietor with no employees. When you have employees, you can spread the cost better.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #9
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountPaint View Post
My wife and I are both self employed. I'm paying about 1100/mo for health insurance for us and a 1 year old.

It's pretty expensive in my estimation, but it's not so much that you shouldn't be able to include in general overhead expense.

If you divvy it out hourly, you should charge about 10 bucks more for a sole proprietor with no employees. When you have employees, you can spread the cost better.
That's not too bad but what are the deductibles? From what I've seen that's where they really get you.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 210
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
That's not too bad but what are the deductibles? From what I've seen that's where they really get you.

It's only $900 deductible. The caveat being that I was able to buy into the state public employees insurance program as an elected official. I have to pay the whole premium, though.

Previously, I had insurance through the exchange. It was the cheapest bronze plan and the deductible was like $5000 or so individual. The premium was about the same $1100.

The current plan is definitely far superior.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountPaint View Post
It's only $900 deductible. The caveat being that I was able to buy into the state public employees insurance program as an elected official. I have to pay the whole premium, though.

Previously, I had insurance through the exchange. It was the cheapest bronze plan and the deductible was like $5000 or so individual. The premium was about the same $1100.

The current plan is definitely far superior.
Oh okay that makes sense. I know when my dad went looking for insurance it was crazy. Granted he was in his 50s and had a heart attack, but just for him it was $2,500 a month with nothing being paid out until the $10,000 deductible was met. So yeah they can't legally deny people with preexisting conditions but with prices like that they basically are.

slinger58 likes this.

|
|
|

|
|

Tags
None