Hello all from CMCH, New Jersey - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View KDOG's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello all from CMCH, New Jersey

Hi everyone, where do I begin? I am about to start my own business doing interior painting, light trim and drywall, odd jobs etc... I did this professionally a number of years ago before I went into the Air Force after which I started working at a local glassware manufacturing company that now I simply have to leave for a number of reasons, number 1 of which is its going to physically kill me or I'm going to accidently kill someone else falling asleep at the wheel due to an insane rotating shift work (which is much worse of course). Other reasons include stress on family life (missing get-togethers, holidays etc), stress on my marriage - I believe that factory job had a hand in costing me my first marraige and I'll DA**ED if I let it negatively affect this one. I simply held on to the job for the insurance and pressure from parents, etc to "keep my job no matter what." Well heck with that anymore.... Anyway sorry for that little "explanation rant", just wanted to provide some background.

I'm a keep it simple kind of guy with a good reputation as a decent honest person (so I'm told) and that will transfer in my work. Its been a few years since I've done it so I'm going to be picking your brains for tips, tricks and advice. Thanks in advance for your help and support. Hope to learn alot here...
KDOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT! If you haven't had a chance yet read this and take a moment to reflect on it. I'm not trying to change your mind of course but there are probably more than a few things in here you have yet to consider.

https://www.painttalk.com/f2/new-memb...ntractor-2879/
Gibberish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #3

Thanks for that link! Looks like a TON of great information. I should point out a few advantages I have however. Namely that my wife is VERY supportive of me doing this. She is a RN and.makes.very good money and we can afford to experiment and see.what formula will work for me on this. I also don't have any intention of making some of these INCREDIBLY stupid mistakes like I see other contractors making like buying huge trucks and trailers with fancy graphics that cost huge amounts of money that they have to somehow pay for and can't figure out why they fall flat on their face in a few months. Dumb. My situation will allow me to start carefully, slowly, and wisely. I'm sure a lot of people talk about knowng people and that's fine but we actually do.... so Ill just leave that there lol. ( All legit mind you). But anyway, I look forward to hearing what you guys have got to say!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

Hey ''bro'' what makes you think painting is any easier stress wise ??? ........

welcome btw
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Well because like I stated, I've done it before and it has nothing on the nitemare I work at now lol.

Tags
None