Hello from Clarksville, IN - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Bee Happy

Rewards Points: 25
View Do-Honey's Photo Album My Photos
Wink Hello from Clarksville, IN

Hello all, thanks for all the advice and topics I have read over the past few weeks. I have found a lot of great info here. I am working on starting a business in my area named Do-Honey Painting. Still need a few thing but I have my plan (thanks to some help from PT).

I started painting about 15 years ago when working under a great teacher. He was more of a handy-man type but a good (if not great) painter. I am not a know it all and know I can improve and learn much more.

8 years ago I went back to school for Information Security and worked in IT for the past 5 years. I found that I missed working as a tradesmen. I'd rather have a sore back or tired arm at night over my head hurting. I love the moment when you finish a job and can "look" at what you have done and feel proud of your work.

I do not expect to get rich over night or even make the first few years what I made in Info Security. I am looking forward to working hard and with a little luck and making it past the first 5 years.

Many people ask me why I am going back to painting over working in IT, I think a few of you may understand where they do not; I miss having a brush in my hand, a quiet room and time to think and contemplate life with little distraction and a trade/work i can feel proud of at the end of the day.

cheers !

B
Do-Honey is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Hello

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 264
View Ace Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

welcome and good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 264
View HQP2005's Photo Album My Photos

Hey Do-Honey

Im in a similar situation. This place is a great resource.
Here are some threads I read recently that have been very helpful.

https://www.painttalk.com/f4/pricing-...-success-2779/

https://www.painttalk.com/f4/starting...may-help-1371/

https://www.painttalk.com/f4/bidding-close-sale-17413/

Good Luck

HQP2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HQP2005 For This Useful Post:
Do-Honey (02-25-2012), RCP (02-24-2012), Scotiadawg (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
Bee Happy

Rewards Points: 25
View Do-Honey's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks HQP2005

THO I had read those a few weeks back... I've been lurking for some time now.

I have been talking to a lot of people and getting input on the name I thought I was going to go with and a few other options. The name Do-Honey was a play on my fiancee's last name along with the dreaded "honey do list". After a quick google search I saw to many companies using that name in some form or another. So a new name needed to be selected.
The name had to be easy to spell, easy to remember, have an associated logo that advertises the service (that were not used by another).

After taking to 25-35 ladies and a few guys I have selected the name "Bee Happy Home Painting" as the company name (DBA). Still going to use the same logo a little bee painting his beehive house in whites. This logo and name should help with getting noticed by my target market. I read someplace that ladies are 70%(ish) of the ones that hire for services in the home. This is why I ask mostly ladies when I did my survey when selecting the name.

next..

I am not an expert in all painting applications. I will ask some questions if i need advice. I have thick skin and spent many years on boards/forums/chats. I'll not cry if you flame me for a "noob" question.

I have had to use "non pro" paints on jobs.... Like a 11k SF (floor space.. no i didn't have to paint the floor) school administration building that had to use paints form a big box..

I did maintenance for a school for for 5 year (and ran a painting company at the same time), so i can fix just about anything but HVAC. I can write code, but can break software twice as fast..

A few goals I have atm: Find my go to paints form Porter, SW and BM.. What I like not what others say is the best; As oils are not allowed to be used here I need to figure out what product I like best to use over it; Get my hands back.. my left hand needs work getting those straight cut lines again.. tbh the right hand needs a few hundred hours again to get my production rate back up.

/end_rant
Do-Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Sup!

Rewards Points: 250
View prototype66's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome !

or

prototype66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Do honey. geeze that seems weird to have just typed that! Hope you enjoy your stay here !
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
RH

Rewards Points: 10,114
Thanked 15,342 Times in 8,033 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT!

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None