Hello from Indiana! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View nickj.cpp's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Hello from Indiana!

Hi there,

The name is Nick, I have been running a College Pro Painters franchise for three years now. I do primarily exterior residential re-paints in Fort Wayne, IN.

I was browsing around online for a painting community and it looks like this is a big one! I'm looking forward to talking paint with some of the vets!
nickj.cpp is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum Nick!
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Is College Pro an oxymoron? Welcome.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
Okay, I take it from that post there is a negative connotation towards my franchisor on these boards...

Before the flaming begins, if you guys don't want me here, just let me know and I will leave.

I find it unfortunate that the few negative experiences are always the ones that pop up on search engines and are discussed on boards like this.. With over 300 franchises, there are bound to be problems here and there..

I am very happy to be part of this company, my customers are all very satisfied with the service that my franchise provides, and most of my employees make far more than they would working another summer job/internship, and so do I. According to my customers our prices are very fair, and as I said they love working with us.

I would not have been able to start a business with insurance, a two-year warranty, and workman's comp without the help of College Pro. The problems arise when the wrong people are selected for the job, and unfortunately it does happen.

I have learned far more about running a business from this franchise than I have in four years of attending a university. I have also had hundreds of hours of classroom, and on the job training, and have painted nearly 100 houses. This business has enabled me to continue going to school to finish my college education.

I hope that you guys are willing to discuss the painting business with me, if not I will happily leave your boards alone.

-Nick

Last edited by nickj.cpp; 01-16-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
Is College Pro an oxymoron? Welcome.
Heh, you could consider it that, but all of my employees are thoroughly trained, and my job site managers have each been painting 10+ years, so in my situation, I would say no.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #7

Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Nick. I hope you stick around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

First rule of business: have a backbone because you will have to be able to take a lot of crap. With that being said, yes you will probably take some crap here because of your franchise name but if you can handle a little jabbing and roll with the punches then you will fit right in and welcome to the forum. Crybabies do not last very long here.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Old as dirt member

Nick, don't let the hazing bother you. Your going to get some greif here because of the reputation some college painters have. Just be yourself and all should be good. I personally welcome your input and look foreward to you contributing to the forum.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
Welcome Nick. I hope you stick around.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
First rule of business: have a backbone because you will have to be able to take a lot of crap. With that being said, yes you will probably take some crap here because of your franchise name but if you can handle a little jabbing and roll with the punches then you will fit right in and welcome to the forum. Crybabies do not last very long here.
Couldn't agree more from what I've learned over the past few years, and I don't mind a good argument! err "debate" lol Definitely not a crybaby so I look forward to rolling with the punches! Thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
Nick, don't let the hazing bother you. Your going to get some greif here because of the reputation some college painters have. Just be yourself and all should be good. I personally welcome your input and look foreward to you contributing to the forum.
Gotcha, and thanks!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Old as dirt member

NEPS is just grouchy because New England is losing right now.....
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

The college pro in my area in my opinion has been "no pro"

Unsupervised, inexperienced kids working on houses they shouldn't be. I think the reason you get business is people mistakenly think they are helping out college kids pay for school. They don't realize they are just getting a bad paint job.

I've gone to job sites and actually talked with the kids working on the houses. I've seen them work.

I see the franchise business model as pimping kids for profit.

It don't surprise me that you are here looking for tips on how to paint. Because from what I've seen, there are no systems put in place for the painters.

I don't see any prep other than scraping, on exteriors. I've seen failures on exteriors within a year.

I think you profit off of good natured, well meaning homeowners at their properties expense.

I don't see you working within rrp guidelines.

But with all this said, welcome.

Maybe your business is different from the franchise I've seen here, I hope you prove me wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TJ Paint; 01-16-2011 at 07:18 PM..
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

One smiley and the kid's panties get in a bunch.

College Pro = Hack Kids
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum Nick. I am sorry that you have to defend yourself because of the stigma that the franchise name carries. stick around contribute, keep your mind open and you should be just fine.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum Nick. Looks like you can handle a little ribbing, glad to have you!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
NEPS is just grouchy because New England is losing right now.....
ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
The college pro in my area in my opinion has been "no pro"

Unsupervised, inexperienced kids working on houses they shouldn't be. I think the reason you get business is people mistakenly think they are helping out college kids pay for school. They don't realize they are just getting a bad paint job.

I've gone to job sites and actually talked with the kids working on the houses. I've seen them work.

It don't surprise me that you are here looking for tips on how to paint. Because from what I've seen, there are no systems put in place for the painters.

I don't see any prep other than scraping, on exteriors. I've seen failures on exteriors within a year.

I think you profit off of good natured, well meaning homeowners at their properties expense.

I don't see you working within rrp guidelines.

But with all this said, welcome.

Maybe your business is different from the franchise I've seen here, I hope you prove me wrong.
I get business because I have never had a customer call back due to any problems with their paint job in the three years that I have been running this franchise, my painters are well trained with hours of classroom training/videos/on the job training that is done as charity. Each crew is overseen by someone more experienced. I get business because my previous customers tell potential customers to go with my company due to their positive experience and the lasting paint job. I get business because people see my painters working on a house down the street, walk up and talk to them and ask for an estimate because they see all of the proper prep work being done. And yes, I do get business because homeowners want to help kids get through college, which they are doing. I get business because my crews do deliver quality paint jobs.

I am not on here looking for tips on how to paint, I am here increasing my web presence and trying to make contact with other people in this profession. College Pro does have an extensive training program consisting of hours of classroom training/tests, and extensive on the job training for all of their franchisees. Unfortunately some franchisees do not do all of the training that they are supposed to, I do. We are also given very specific estimating guides and our safety program is a binder which is 1.5" thick. All employees of mine must take tests over these materials and pass or they do not paint.

Our prep work includes far more than scraping, we power-wash, scrape, sand, prime, putty, replace rotted boards, re-glazing, replacing failing caulk. The list goes on... And I have never seen a failure on any of the homes that my franchise has painted so far, we have a 2-year warranty that the customer simply needs to call our 800-service center to have us come back out and fix the failures for free. None of my customers have called in.

I profit off of homeowners by protecting their homes from the elements while making them look new and doing this with young, energetic crews that enjoy making their customers happy.

All of my work follows OSHA and RRP guidelines. We are required to test each home built before 1978 for lead and if the franchisee does not have the proper certification (which many of us do) they are not permitted to do the work.

I find it sad that the franchisee in your area does bad work and am sorry to see the damage that has done to our company's reputation in your area.

With all that said, thanks for the welcome.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #17

Quote:

College Pro = Hack Kids
Not familiar with the term hack kids... No panties in a bunch, just wanted to put it out there.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Welcome to the forum Nick. I am sorry that you have to defend yourself because of the stigma that the franchise name carries. stick around contribute, keep your mind open and you should be just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Welcome to the forum Nick. Looks like you can handle a little ribbing, glad to have you!
Thanks guys
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. My advice, stand tall, learn much, realize the term "College Pro" is much like the term "military intelligence" around here. Dont bother defending yourself too much, it is the reputation of College Pros in a pro painters forum that you are contending with. We here are all a bunch of primadonnas. Im sure you are alright and I am glad you have a fit that is working for you right now.

With that being said, my sister in law goes to Taylor University, where did you finish up school?

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

College Pro = Hack Kids
College Hacks
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None