Hello from MO! Very new painter here... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 50
View TopCut's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello from MO! Very new painter here...

Hey guys - very happy to find this forum

Here's my website, critique is welcomed: topcutspringfield.com

I've gotta get this off of my chest before asking for advice.

After about ten months of apartment turn painting around town, I've stumbled into my own business and am nervous as hell. I do have interior painting experience, but was admittedly leaning on the expertise of my old painting partner / new business partner who pulled out on me at the last minute...

We became good friends after working together for a local subcontractor for a huge property management company in town and decided to launch our own business. He had leads for a few properties through personal connections and I had business experience from previous endeavors. After a month of planning we were ready to roll. We kept everything on the level, putting in our two weeks and promising not to go after our company's territory. However, this allowed them time to make my buddy an offer he couldn't refuse: a raise and a promotion. He "thinks about this" for a week, and I find out this last Friday. He sells out, stays with the company for "stability" and I haven't spoken to him since. (I wasn't offered anything as I was still relatively new; he'd been there for three years.) I can't blame the guy for choosing a paycheck over freelance work, but I was left in the dust (and lost his connections).

Now unemployed, I thought about things over the weekend and approached another friend who is experienced with painting as well - but not as much as my old painting partner. He's in between jobs (caring for family) and agrees to work for me, 1099.

We figure we're gonna fake it til we make it. Since we're inflating our experience a bit, we are hunting for turnover work before anything else. I wouldn't even mind doing that exclusively - it's easy work. In the meantime, I feel we can tip-toe into some jobs through friends and start researching as much as possible on YouTube and forums like this.

SO... what do you guys think? Can we ease our way into professional work? I fear a community of experts will tell me to take a hike, but I feel that painting is an easy trade to master. I'd also like to think I'm no dummy.

Since I'd like to find a cash-cow ASAP, how should I go about approaching apartment property managers? Is visiting offices with a proposal in-hand considered outright solicitation? Is emailing effective? Cold calling? A combination of all three?

Thanks for any advice at all - hope to stick around for a while

-Scott

Last edited by TopCut; 04-29-2015 at 09:14 AM..
TopCut is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Troy

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,145 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group Scott.

In regards to your question, I'd first suggest you make sure you have any/all appropriate licensing needed, write out some of your basic rates you'll offer to those property management companies you seek, then print out some fliers and distribute them. You can also target Realtors, since this would be along the same line of work you're interested in going after.

As far as bringing another guy into the mix, I'm not sure if you intend to groom his as a potential partner, or if he's just gonna be an employee. If it's the latter, please take the time to use the search function here and read up on the threads with the keywords, "Subcontractor Dodge".

Good luck to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
TopCut (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, Troy!

I'm incorporated, licensed, and (almost) insured - so I should be good to go. I've got a preliminary proposal letter and a turnover bid sheet prepared as well... if anyone would like to take a look.

My friend does not want to be a legitimate partner, but just an employee/independent contractor (he legitimately does have his own supplies). I guess we are planning on doing the "Subcontractor Dodge" which is just hiring a 1099, correct? After searching this term, I realize HE might have to carry his own insurance as well? Or is that something that people just risk...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,966
Thanked 9,670 Times in 5,509 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCut
SO... what do you guys think? Can we ease our way into professional work? I fear a community of experts will tell me to take a hike, but I feel that painting is an easy trade to master. I'd also like to think I'm no dummy.
I agree!
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 192
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome... Don't risk him not having insurance not worth it... I got good laugh out you thinking painting is a easy trade to master....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
I got good laugh out you thinking painting is a easy trade to master....
Haha, I knew I'd regret typing that
Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 7,342
Thanked 15,581 Times in 8,223 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to PT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
Welcome... Don't risk him not having insurance not worth it... I got good laugh out you thinking painting is a easy trade to master....
Yeah, I'm still learning new stuff after forty years of doing this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10
View bryanmoreno92's Photo Album My Photos

I started out apartment painting
And residential is another world.
Apartments are very cheap
Here in tulsa especially but i managed to make $$ by using a shield.
Apartments usually take 30-60 days to pay too!!
bryanmoreno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bryanmoreno92 For This Useful Post:
TopCut (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmoreno92 View Post
I started out apartment painting
And residential is another world.
Apartments are very cheap
Here in tulsa especially but i managed to make $$ by using a shield.
Apartments usually take 30-60 days to pay too!!

Great info - thanks. I actually grew up in Claremore and have several friends in Tulsa

All of the apts I've painted thus far have approved hand-painted trim, which saves TONS of time. Since all of the baseboards were caulked, there was no way to get a precise line with tape or a shield anyway... hopefully this is common around here.

How did you get started with your first properties? Did you have a personal connection or did you just start emailing or calling or walking in?

Last edited by TopCut; 05-01-2015 at 04:27 PM..
Old 05-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
View bryanmoreno92's Photo Album My Photos

My dad owns a carpet cleaning business and does quite a few complexes and throws my name to the maintenance supervisor. Best time to get an account is when they are not happy with the painters.
bryanmoreno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from NW MO, best of luck.

David
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None