Hello from St. Louis - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Chicken Trainer

Rewards Points: 42
View roygones's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello from St. Louis

Hey all,

My name is Ryan, and I'm a painter. I've tried working the 12 steps, but I just can't stop.

I've actually been a member here since 2011, and a professional painter since 1997. I spent two seasons painting water towers, then moved to St. Louis and found a great job doing high-end residential work. I knew virtually nothing about quality painting (the industrial work brought nothing but knowledge of how an airless works), but I was fortunate to work with a bunch of old school guys that had several hundred years of experience combined (crew of 20+ guys and one woman who could paint circles around most of them). I worked my way up to the company's lead foreman over 15 years and many layoffs, and last spring I decided to try it on my own.

I miss the super high-end stuff, but you don't start a company and just have people who live in mansions start calling you. I hope to work my way back into that world over the next few years. For now, I'm just learning the ropes of owning and operating a business. In the "so you want to be a painting contractor" section here, I saw the suggestion that you should paint professionally for at least 5 years. I would change that to 10+, in my opinion. I would have failed miserably at this 5 years into painting. Some guys could do it in their mid-20's, but most could not.

Anyway, I plan to try to stop in here as much as I can - I think this is a great resource, and I'm glad it's here. I hope I can have something to offer some people with less experience in the field, and I know that there are guys here that have a wealth of knowledge about the business end that I am very green on.
roygones is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 10,200
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from out in Oregon Ryan.

We have another Ryan here who is a bit of a trouble maker - hope you can conduct yourself in a manner that redeems the name.

Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (03-14-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome from a St. Louis paperhanger.
Which company did you work for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

Great intro, Welcome from NW Missouri Ryan!
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Chicken Trainer

Rewards Points: 42
View roygones's Photo Album My Photos

ProWallGuy, I worked for MVG. I don't know if you know Michael or not, but he's a great guy.

I actually need a paperhanger to call when clients ask for that work. I got the name and number of a guy from a decorator a while back, but I don't know anything about him. I don't know if you'd want to discuss money on here or not, but if not, send me an email at [email protected] and we could discuss your labor rate. I also know a really good removal company here that I could pass along to you if you would like to sub that stuff. They do an excellent job, and get every bit of the adhesive (I know you guys freak out when us painters get all silly and call it glue) off with very little drywall damage.
roygones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

I've heard of MVG but don't know him personally. I'll send you an email.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
King Dude

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,862 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome Ryan! Don't mind RH he has a bad habit of huffing glue prior to posting.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (03-14-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2
View srimal53's Photo Album My Photos

The contract for painting my home was given to commercial painting contractor st. Louis mo which is a company with a capable young group of skilled workers who can be contacted via www.636painter.com that can be recommended as quality paintings.
srimal53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None